The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 Class and Character Talk > Salvador the Gunzerker

Old October 30th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
falkor99

Smile Non-gunzerking, 1 Jacobs pistol, Sauve Renegade

This is my true wild west sheriff build. It will make you feel like Jessie James. I could not believe how much my damage shot through the roof when I tried it. It's also pretty fun to try a gunzerker that doesn't gunzerk when fighting 90% of the time.

This build is viable at level 31 when you can complete the gunlust tree. Any extra points I put into the brawn tree for survivability. It may be viable before then but I never tried it earlier.

Skill Tree: http://www.bl2db.com/skill-trees#zcxE0Vxz9Vqo

What's unique about this build:

- You will use a single, scoped (must), pistol.
- You will be using Jacobs pistols exclusively for their damage.
- You will be doing all non-elemental damage so nothing resists you.
- You want as close to 10 magazine size for full 'Money Shot' bonus.
- You will not autofire, so fire rate skills/buf don't matter in this build.
- You will prefer to NOT be gunzerking during battle. Scoped shooting is your bread and butter. It turns your pistol into a sniper rifle on steroids.
- Gunzerk before a fight to regen ammo/health and get 'Keep It Piping Hot' +25% gun damage buff.
- 'No Kill Like Overkill' will keep you melting stuff in a few shots; especially if it stacked with 'Money Shot' and carries over multiple kills.

Now for the gear that makes it work.

- Sheriff's Badge:
+20-30% pistol damage.
+20% fight for your life time.
And 50%+ rate which we don't care about.
You could substitute a pistol dmg relic at lower levels.

- Suave Regenade Class Mod:
+25-40% pistol damage.
+3-6 I'm Your Huckleberry
+2-4 All I Need Is One / Incite

- Jacobs pistol with scope. Jacobs are the highest damage.
I prefer Straight shootin' prefix for the accuracy buff.
10 mag size is ideal, anything over wastes your time
getting to 'Money Shot.' You will never run out of ammo
so don't touch 'Inconceivable' which also wastes time
getting to 'Money Shot.'
The scope is very important. Iron sites won't work. You
need a proper scope where you can't see the gun while
firing or else it will be very difficult to aim. Any type of
iron sights won't work.

Let's total up the pistol bonus damage now.

25-40% from Class Mod
20-30% from Sheriff's Badge.
24-36% from I'm Your Huckleberry.
0-25% from Keep It Piping Hot.
--------
+69-131% TOTAL damage to your pistol

- So you will be doing roughly 200%+ pistol damage.
- A good Jacobs 10 shooter will usually do 2x as much damage as a Hyperion pistol of the same level already.
- Multiply this by 400% from Money Shot and you come out to 800% Money Shot hits.
- Add on 'No Kill Like Overkill' and you will be doing a LOT of damage. It can skyrocket if you can carry over No Kill Like Overkill (especially off a Money Shot) multiple times in a row. I've started off fights hitting for ~3K and ended fights hitting for 24K per shot (non crits.) Edit: I'm only level 37 in Tiny Tina area so that's a lot of damage for me.

Have fun and let me know what you think if you try it.
This build really rekindled my fun with Gunzerker.

Last edited by falkor99; October 31st, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
falkor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Ezemy
[L]

Default Re: Non-gunzerking, 1 Jacobs pistol, Sauve Renegade

This sounds like a fun build, you don't use the Bee at all right? I'm just getting really bored of sweeping through everything nowadays and decided I needed to start up a dif build.

And also, thank you - it seems like we're the only character forum that doesn't have a guide... I was planning on making one but hey you beat me to it (unless I actually do make one )

Last edited by Ezemy; October 30th, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Ezemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
falkor99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezemy View Post
This sounds like a fun build, you don't use the Bee at all right? I'm just getting really bored of sweeping through everything nowadays and decided I needed to start up a dif build.

And also, thank you - it seems like we're the only character forum that doesn't have a guide... I was planning on making one but hey you beat me to it (unless I actually do make one )
Right no Bee shield. I think I'm just using a random shield I found with the highest capacity.
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Waxing

any build that is based around not Gunzerking is not using salvador to his maximum capabilities. With your build you will die a lot. You should try using two jakobs pistols or a slag pistol with a jakobs pistol while gunzerking, the damage is lovely.
Waxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #5
falkor99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing View Post
any build that is based around not Gunzerking is not using salvador to his maximum capabilities. With your build you will die a lot. You should try using two jakobs pistols or a slag pistol with a jakobs pistol while gunzerking, the damage is lovely.
I use a hyperion shotgun in my offhand if I need to gunzerk mid-battle because things are getting hairy and I want health regen. Using 2 Jacobs pistols when not scoped in gets wildly inaccurate from my experience. It's also a lot of clicking (don't have a macro'd autofire mouse.) I also haven't died at all since I started using this build from 31 to 37, you will kill most things from range, take cover if you need it.

I said I am not gunzerking about 90% of the time, there's some times things get hairy and I pull it out.

Edit: I also have no prob on boss fights. Just killed Wilhelm in ~20 seconds. Toss some life steal grenades out if you're worried. This build is fun

Last edited by falkor99; October 30th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Waxing

Im a pistol loving gunzerker so I hear what your saying. But in my experience once your in playthrough 2.5 or even the end of playthrough 2, you will be getting hit a lot harder. So having a build thats not based around gunzerking can lead to many deaths. try speccing into steady as she goes, it helps a bunch with recoil and accuracy while gunzerking (especially if your using a jakobs). I spent most of the game using a maggie as my Main weapon with a Slag shotgun as a secondary. This combo puts enemies down very quickly, and the faster enemies die the longer you can stay alive.
Waxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Mikk0

i'dd love to hear how do you do in the late pt2 and pt2.5 when you get there!

good luck
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:24 AM   #8
SrebX

Again...
You have THE ONLY character in the world that can dual wield ANY 2 guns! Shotguns, rocket launchers, assault rifles...
Why in hell would you want to ruin such a wonderful thing by using a single pistol like its a normal FPS game?

Lvl 61: Salvador [Main] Krieg [Inactive] Maya [Inactive]Zer0 [Inactive] Gaige [Inactive] Axton [Inactive]
Links: My Trade Thread [PC] / Builds+Videos collection thread / Youtube Channel
SrebX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:27 AM   #9
Matheau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing View Post
Im a pistol loving gunzerker so I hear what your saying. But in my experience once your in playthrough 2.5 or even the end of playthrough 2, you will be getting hit a lot harder. So having a build thats not based around gunzerking can lead to many deaths.
Not really. You are substantially overestimating how useful Gunzerking really is on its own merits. Basically, without a huge amount of skill investment, you can use two guns, but lose aiming, which really isn't that great of a trade off a lot of the time unless you want to restrict yourself to very specific weapons. If you have lots of points in the skill, then that's when it becomes a huge benefit over not Gunzerking.

If you put lots of points in Rampage, then, yes, you absolutely should be using it all the time. If you aren't Gunzerking, every skill point placed into improving Gunzerking is effectively wasted. However, you can very easily build Salvador without ever placing a single skill point in a Gunzerking related skill. In that case, using Gunzerking is detrimental just as often as it is useful on TVHM.
Matheau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 04:01 AM   #10
NobbyFFXI
☆ Obsessive Collector ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
Not really. You are substantially overestimating how useful Gunzerking really is on its own merits. Basically, without a huge amount of skill investment, you can use two guns, but lose aiming, which really isn't that great of a trade off a lot of the time unless you want to restrict yourself to very specific weapons. If you have lots of points in the skill, then that's when it becomes a huge benefit over not Gunzerking.

If you put lots of points in Rampage, then, yes, you absolutely should be using it all the time. If you aren't Gunzerking, every skill point placed into improving Gunzerking is effectively wasted. However, you can very easily build Salvador without ever placing a single skill point in a Gunzerking related skill. In that case, using Gunzerking is detrimental just as often as it is useful on TVHM.
Yeah, Gunzerking is hardly necessary to be successful in TVHM. It's awesome (and my main build will always be Gunzerking-based) but this build looks like a very fun alternative. I did a Money Shot build and preferred using single weapons + the ability to aim over Gunzerking.
NobbyFFXI is offline   Reply With Quote