The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Foxster

Default The best gear for Axton and why...

...in my humble opinion anyway.

Weapons
Conference Call would have been here pre-The Bee nerf but now for general carnage I say:

and two elemental variations:

The Infinity pistol has it all: High damage, fast fire rate, high accuracy and, of course, no reloads and no ammo.

You can just walk forward spraying bullets and mowing down everything in your way.

It does lose a little with distance though. So, for picking off tough bad guys from a distance, I don't recommend any of the sniper rifles, I use these:

The Bitch has more stability and the extra damage from the criticals makes it out-damage the Infinity pistol.

You need a couple of shots to settle the sight and then its spot-on firing at almost any range. It can annihilate bad guys quicker than a sniper rifle and without slow firing and reloads.

Shield
Even post-nerf, The Bee is still the essential shield. It adds ~40K damage to every single bullet!

This one is the best balance of capacity, recharge and damage. It also has the best resist of explosive. I find that its grenades and other splash damage that drop my shields when I really don't want it, so explosion resist increases survivability a lot.

Mod
Only one sensible choice:

Speaks for itself really. Put at least one point in all the top row skills and this will top them up by 5, meaning you have more points to scatter elsewhere.

Grenade mod
Not so fussed here but I really like:

Does stupid amounts of damage over a big area. Anything that survives one or two of these is easily picked off with your gun.

Relic
The Bee is not a big buff shield-wise and you do need a bit of health to compensate, so I use:

A few words about variations of items:
Some people think there is an infinite variety to the weapons and items in BL2, that you might find two otherwise identical shields but one with a few percent more capacity. This is not true. Each item has just one or two variables and these variables can each have 5 or 6 different values.

For instance, the Infinity pistol can have just 5 different grips (Bandit, Dahl, Hyperion, Maliwan and Tediore) and 5 different sights and 6 different accessories (Bayonet, Accurate, Damage, Accelerated, Stabilized, Reload). So you don't get an endless range of, say, damage but rather a few values and they will be traded off against things like fire rate i.e. there's only so much goodness available for each item.

Now, that's a lot of combinations still. But only a relative few are best for a particular weapon, for instance you lose accuracy with a Bandit grip.

I've researched all the combinations for each of the items above and those are the best for my play style.

And just one last thought...if you are using The Bee shield then don't get hung up on the base damage of weapons. The Bitch is listed at just 6.7K of damage but with The Bee and character buffs its doing ~50k damage. So you might want to think more about fire rate and accuracy than damage if using The Bee.

Last edited by Foxster; November 18th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Foxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
NSS13
First Access Club Member

Default Re: The best gear for Axton and why...

You should switch your Vitality relic for a sheriffs badge (20%+ pistol DMG, 50%+ Pistol Fire rate and 15% second wind health) Pretty sure your infinity will out damage the bitch then. It should push your Infinity to a fire rate of 13.5

Last edited by NSS13; November 18th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
NSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Foxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS13 View Post
You should switch your Vitality relic for a sheriffs badge (20%+ pistol DMG, 50%+ Pistol Fire rate and 15% second wind health) Pretty sure your infinity will out damage the bitch then. It should push your Infinity to a fire rate of 13.5
Good call. Thanks.

The actual damage difference aint much but the fire rate is through the roof! Meaning a real 50%+ increase in DOT.

Last edited by Foxster; November 18th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Foxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Maya
Target Practice

Learn how to jiggle the reticule to prevent the Infinity from settling into its recoil pattern. It'll noticeably bump up your long-range DPS.
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Godlike13
360 GT - Godlike13

The best gear for Axton are things that go boom. Torgue and Tediores. Guns like the Kerblaster, Unkempt Harold, and Baby Maker...
Godlike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Omniseed
Turret Murderer

Jiggle it?
Omniseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
G. P. Burdell

I second the boom mentality. I recently found a good grenadier mod and decent explosive relic and nothing compares to Torgue shotguns and assault rifles now, not even baby maker reloads (of course this isn't using The Bee so that would probably change). Tested on Wilhelm, cuz you respawn right next to him, and other methods including some really good corrosive weapons were taking upwards of a minute to bring him down. switch to my explosive layout and he goes down in 1.5 shotgun mags, about 6 seconds. Also explosive is good against everything, even shields.
G. P. Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Omniseed
Turret Murderer

I've got a no-ele Hyperion spiker, decided to give it a shot as a general weapon instead of just storing it for my occasional E-Tech or manufacturer-based kicks, and I love it.

about 16K damage on the card, all those bonuses and shet gits popping, it runs 98.0 or 98.5 accuracy, has a laser accessory, the big square zooming scope with the large circle and very small inner circle reticle, I love it, and it's perfect for this gun. Even with the dreaded Hyperion wobble it will deliver the first couple of shots very reliably, very accurately, it's just a megasniper with no criticals.

Biggest problem I'm having is spiking the rakks, then the spikes burst after they hit me, I end up taking it too.
Omniseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Spunky117
The Compulsive Psycho

Send a message via Skype™ to Spunky117

Legendary Soldier com being the only one sensible choice? I guess if you're going for gun damage and fire rate I guess it kind of makes sense but wouldn't a heavy gunner with + in metal storm be better? I mean with an already mad fire rate, bitches, and infinities there's going to be no shortage of things to kill. I'd rather take heavy gunner than a legendary soldier com as it'd make a lot more sense to use a class mod that's actually going to benefit you a bit more. Especially since you're using the bee, then it's like, super easy mode.

From my experiences anyway, Legendary coms tend to hinder you instead of really help you as giving +5 to all first tier skills is meh to me. That's my opinion though, by all means use a legendary com if you'd like.

Last edited by Spunky117; November 18th, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Spunky117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #10
G. P. Burdell

yeah if you are deadset on using The Bee then maxing fire rate is probably a priority. In general though I find it better to maximize damage per shot and the +5 impact and +30% gun damage from the legendary makes it the more efficient choice, you also have to love +80% reload speed and increased turret duration
G. P. Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote