The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Aliens: Colonial Marines > A:CM News

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Tonks
Colonial Moderator

Default Back to the Sulaco - Talking Aliens w/John Mulkey

Not sure if everyone's seen this article yet, but there are some interesting points in this piece:

Quote:
The main story mode of Aliens: Colonial Marine promises around a dozen hours of play for a solo player or for up to four friends playing co-operatively. "We're trying to integrate it, so the goal is that if you're playing it by yourself, strong experience, and if you play with your friends, it's still a really great, strong experience," Mulkey said. "We're looking to do things as we go through the maps and missions where we will cater to the idea of being co-op, different approaches and strategies."

"It's not an open world game, so it's a relatively linear narrative, but in game design we refer to it as the 'wide hallway'," he explained. "It's directed, but you have options. There's lots of different approaches to what you're going to do, but ultimately it's following a linear narrative. This is the sequel to the movie, you know? There's a strong story to be told."
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/g...#ixzz2DS1uEtJy

Tonks is a nickname I've had for over 25 years. It's not a Harry Potter reference.
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
janenad

Default Re: Back to the Sulaco - Talking Aliens w/John Mulkey

Cool, thanks Tonks! Just was the distress call from Hicks befor s**t hit the fan in Aliens or after Alien 3? Hmmm.... But sadly no new info really!
janenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Tonks
Colonial Moderator

I would assume it was a distress call that occurred at some point during Aliens, but that is just gut instinct as it would give the Colonial Marines enough time to mobilize their battalion and send it off to LV-426.

Tonks is a nickname I've had for over 25 years. It's not a Harry Potter reference.
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #4
acrediblesource

I imagine 'open-world' only works in particular to environments that have a tremendous amount of back-story which not have to have anything to do with the main story. Im sure if it was a space travel type game like mass effect, you'd have a scenario where you could go off into uncharted territory. Within Hadleys Hope, i'm sure everything you find,do and explorer wouldn't be of great value to the story's main focus if you completely missed doing the mission in open world game scenario.
From The Forum Rules: Treat your fellow forum members with respect. Disparaging comments towards other members will not be tolerated. If you can't say something that contributes to a thread and is tactful, useful, or relevant, it's best that you don't post.
acrediblesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Chris!(($$))!
Waiting for A:CM!

Quote:
"It's not an open world game, so it's a relatively linear narrative, but in game design we refer to it as the 'wide hallway'," he explained. "It's directed, but you have options. There's lots of different approaches to what you're going to do, but ultimately it's following a linear narrative. This is the sequel to the movie, you know? There's a strong story to be told."
I like this.
Chris!(($$))! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #6
Raider65

Yeah. As long as there are multiple paths to objectives, that's really cool. That will also help replayablity. Good job GBX for trying your darnest to appease all the fans.
Raider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
acrediblesource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider65 View Post
Yeah. As long as there are multiple paths to objectives, that's really cool. That will also help replayablity. Good job GBX for trying your darnest to appease all the fans.
champagne
From The Forum Rules: Treat your fellow forum members with respect. Disparaging comments towards other members will not be tolerated. If you can't say something that contributes to a thread and is tactful, useful, or relevant, it's best that you don't post.
acrediblesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #8
AMCDuke
First Access Club Member

thanks for posting i really cant wait

i will get this game even when it will be bashed by the press

Intel 3770K
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Corsair 16GB DDR3
EVGA Geforce GTX 690
AMCDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
affinity
First Access Club Member

Exclamation Re: Back to the Sulaco - Talking Aliens w/John Mulkey

the "wide hallway" hint seems interesting. Yea they know they can't just make this a corridor shooter. Multiple ways to progress in an area, and more openness in the locations to at least give some sense of exploration and flexibility without straying too far from the objective. plus nice this might have over 12 hours of campaign. Since this is totally focused on Colonial Marines instead of 3 species, they can deliver a much more epic Colonial Marines experience, and the 4p co-op is a huge feature too. I think this could top Left 4 Dead campaign in length, replayability, challenge and atmosphere. (though it's a shame that single player, players probably will only have that Christopher winters whatever his name is. Left 4 Dead let you main any of the co-op characters in single player, Bill, Francis, Louis and Zoey.). so single player main character selection, Left 4 Dead still holds that advantage.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

lol, this article is recent, but they talk like the Survivor trailer hasn't made public yet (horde mode). nice they confirmed 6 vs 6 for TDM, though.

Last edited by affinity; November 28th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #10
enex
ACM disgrace

Much requested feature.Will see if it will live up to John.