The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 Gameplay Discussion (Spoilers!)

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Dethray79

Default Killing Pyro Pete the Invincible WITHOUT using the valve (I believe it can be done!)

Hi fellow Vault Hunters,

Last night I was trying to beat Pryo Pete the invincible with my solo Commando and was not even close in the first few tries.

Then I noticed this shield sitting in my inventory waiting to be sold:

A Blue Dahl shield with immunity to burn damage. *DING*

I changed my build and gun layout a little and managed to solo the dude, using this strategy. In the course of the fight I only opened the Valves THREE times! I had only basic-ish DPS weapon so the fight was a little long... lol.

Pretty sure some of you guys with even better gear can solo him without even openinng the valve ONCE! Here's why:

Pyro Pete's DOT damage constantly procs the Dahl Shield to drop boosters.

If your shield has a pretty good % chance to drop a booster each time you are damaged, you will spawn a poop ton of boosters. I basically kited him while suffering DOT damage and constantly dropping boosters, as i moved i just picked them up to recharge my shields, my shields only went down in a couple of retarded moments (getting too close to his flame throwers...etc.)

Given how TVHM makes shields highly resistant to corrosive/fire damage, Pyro Pete's DOT should never really strip your shields and the boosters that you can consistently pick up will always outstrip the DOT damage dealt to the shield.

My shield was 28k capacity, 11.1% booster drop.

Please try this out and let me know what you think!
Dethray79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Bahroo
Quarian Admiral

Default Re: Killing Pyro Pete the Invincible WITHOUT using the valve (I believe it can be don

It is easily possible but rather annoying to pick up boosters every couple of seconds. I never really liked those shields as it kills your damage looking down and trying to pick the damn things up.
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Rakktually
banned

Default Re: Killing Pyro Pete the Invincible WITHOUT using the valve (I believe it can be don

Does his DoT blast stack if you're still under the effects of the previous blast?
Rakktually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
mrjish

Good idea. I was using them on Hyperius because of the riccochets, kept me going for quite some time, especially if you wait and they are laying all over the place.
mrjish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Matt_the_wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakktually View Post
Does his DoT blast stack if you're still under the effects of the previous blast?
Yup but i dunno how long they last
Matt_the_wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Bahroo
Quarian Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_the_wise View Post
Yup but i dunno how long they last
DoTs last forever until removed.
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Dethray79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakktually View Post
Didn't notice that actually, if it does eventually it will overpower the shield boosters, I havent killed Pete enough times to know for sure. Interestingly, his DOT does run out, after a really long time...

Since I kite him constantly, each time a booster pops I just press "pick up". Seldom miss a drop when doing that.
Dethray79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
David__
banned

I was thinking of another way, but it would require the Inflammable and Alkaline Bee. The idea is to switch the two shields ASAP when he does his Pyro+Caustic Nova because I noticed that there is a delay before the Pyro part. If you're fast enough you could possibly block the Caustic with the Alkaline and switch during the 1 second delay to the Inflammable. I haven't tested this myself since I'm too lazy to farm for a Alkaline+ Inflammable Bee.
David__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Rakktually
banned

Interesting, thanks guys. Is there a hard statistic on percentage of shield/health removed per second from the DoT? Maybe there's a way to negate the damage with enough health regen. This would work extremely well with a Siren firehawk build.
Rakktually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Maya
Target Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David__ View Post
I was thinking of another way, but it would require the Inflammable and Alkaline Bee. The idea is to switch the two shields ASAP when he does his Pyro+Caustic Nova because I noticed that there is a delay before the Pyro part. If you're fast enough you could possibly block the Caustic with the Alkaline and switch during the 1 second delay to the Inflammable. I haven't tested this myself since I'm too lazy to farm for a Alkaline+ Inflammable Bee.
Already looked into this. It'll end regular DoTs, but not his special one. Reduce one or the other a bit if you had it equipped beforehand, but not completely avoid it.