The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #1
CynicalSavior0X

Send a message via Skype™ to CynicalSavior0X
Default A Few New Uses For Eridium

I've had this idea started since I first realized the max amount of Seraph Crystals you could hold was 999 and it just got bigger and bigger. With the level cap that is supposedly coming soon, I am having mixed feelings. I am excited as I can be to be able to get new skills and level up even more! But at the same time, I am heartbroken that I will seemingly "lose" the multitude of guns I have collected over the months because they will become useless against the higher level enemies as they will only be level 50..

The idea I suggest is that Gearbox first raises the maximum number of Eridium that can be held to the same as Torgue Tokens and Seraph Crystals (999) and create a unique area with all the shop Vendors of sanctuary (Marcus, Zed, Scooter, Moxxi, Crazy Earl) there and holding up their own side business. Tying it into the story, I'll explain to you what they would do next.

Marcus creates a new machine that gives the player the option to edit or randomize guns giving them new parts, elements and maybe even prefixes and runs off of Eridium to keep a steady flow of Eridium coming into him so he can sell to bandits who want "special powers" that so many of them think swallowing the stuff will give them.

In competition, Zed could make his own machine that uses Eridium to level up the guns, shields, grenade mods and relics using Eridium to make up for the raised level cap and so we don't all have to spend a million more hours searching for loot. But he just made it to compete and not be showed up by Marcus.

Then Moxxi has a very special surprise. She has been working on a new Underdome since her last one was destroyed obviously and as she lets you in, you have to leave several pieces of Eridium in the center of a giant arena. And then. A bunch of Eridian Guardians from the first game come out and you are given the opportunity to fight the old enemies. Personally, they were one of my favorite enemies from the first one and it ties into the story along and I know a lot of other people miss them too!

Then Scooter starts telling you about how he's got these crazy new Eridium parts he's been building for his cars! You have to pay him in Eridium to unlock the options at Catch-A-Ride Stations but you could possibly unlock new, elemental weapon attachment and add AoE damage to your vehicle when you crash into things. I see it sort of like, the elemental type on the wheels and a front and back bumper covered in spikes. Or something. I just think the idea of having the same sort of elemental options that you have with the up coming Fan Boat in Big Game Hunt is a really good one and could possibly change the game in certain areas.

Crazy Earl is there too of course! The first person to give you something else to do with Eridium! I haven't been able to think up much for him besides more SDU's for ammo and such but even that would be nice, you know? You can never hold to many bullets.

There could also be some Slot Machines that ran off of Eridium! That would be a cool idea, I think. Instead of paying for a chance to get Eridium, you have a higher chance of getting gold or rare loot, maybe even seraph crystals!

As for the area itself, it could be made up of the same weird glowing rocks that surrounded The entrance to The Lair of Terramorphous, the rocks making up Captain Blade's Treasure pyramid thing and the Vault of the Warrior! And you wouldn't be able to reach it until you beat the game and/or bought all of the SDU's from Earl's Black market.

And I know this is completely random and out there but maybe Lilith, Brick or Mordecai or all of them could be out there at the area and they have a not so new invincible to take on. Maybe an "Undead Crawmarax"? I would go crazy, honestly. Half out of being able to fight the old foe and half out of having to fight the old foe!

I know this would be a lot to do but I honestly think that if they did something like this, it would make the game. Borderlands 2 is my favorite game by far and I love how committed Gearbox is to pleasing fans (In reference to the patch making The Bee more evenly leveled with every other shield and raised Terramorphous's health, I enjoyed it because it made me have to really work and think about what I was doing and work on getting new shields. I liked the challenge and was getting bored of basically ruining everything in my way). If they did something like this, the hype of the game would be renewed in full I think! Honestly though, if they raise the level cap and give us no way level up the weapons we have now to the current level of our character, I think it would break the game for a lot of dedicated players. I know it would for me, as sad as it is to say.

I'd love feedback too! I know it is a lot and if you read the whole thing, I really appreciate all of your time and everyone's feedback! Good or bad.

My Xbox Live Gamer Tag is CynicalSavior. Message me anytime! Thanks guys
CynicalSavior0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Kyllian
First Access Club Member

Default Re: A Few New Uses For Eridium

Quote:
Marcus creates a new machine that gives the player the option to ...

In competition, Zed could make his own machine that uses Eridium to ...
Just delete these now, you'll get nothing but flak otherwise
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #3
CynicalSavior0X

Send a message via Skype™ to CynicalSavior0X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllian View Post
Just delete these now, you'll get nothing but flak otherwise
Was it that bad? lol
Level 50 Mechromaner. OP level 0.
Level 50 Siren. OP level 0.
Level 50 Assassin. OP level 0.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: CynicalSavior

Message me anytime if you need help killing an Invincible, farming for loot or taking on a mission. I'm always happy to help!
CynicalSavior0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Shagsbeard
Resident Mathematician

The suggestion that gun crafting be put in the game comes up about once a week. It's not going to happen.
Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Alpha OTS

What about gun upgrading? ie: using eridium to take a level 49 gun and give it level 50 stats? Or upgrade it from a blue to purple?
Alpha OTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Shagsbeard
Resident Mathematician

Not going to happen. It's a game based on finding loot... not making loot.
Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #7
xHuckleberry
Im Yer Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagsbeard View Post
Not going to happen. It's a game based on finding loot... not making loot.
Well, you still the find the loot. You just upgrade it afterwards.
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Alpha OTS

How about gold key conversion then?
Alpha OTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Chieffie
Claptrap's BFF

Yeah, 999 eridium buys you one golden key Would ACTUALLY make sense for players late to the game when there are no more handouts on Twitter or FB.

Last edited by Chieffie; January 12th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Chieffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Kyllian
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalSavior0X View Post
Was it that bad? lol
Yep.
Among all the other ideas that were posted up and shot down, I'd posted an upgrade idea that basically meant you'd have to spend $1mil+ and 90-99 Eridium to upgrade an item from lvl 49 to lvl 50
I still got comments that it would destroy the core looting aspect of BL2, even though the idea would have you looting and selling several dozen weapons/items to afford a single upgrade