The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Sbuub
Boobies Grabber

Default Tediore Hot Potato - Axton Build

HOT POTATO
Axton Tediore Build

INTRO
A couple of weeks ago, I was playing co-op with my gf, and we started a little contest on who would be the first to complete the Bomerbang Challenge (It's very, very, very hard to admit it, but she won). Anyway, playing something like this:

1 shot - reload - kill - 1 shot - reload - kill ...

has been really fun, and it's something VERY different from a classic Borderlands playstyle.
So I decided to create a build that focused around this concept, and after leveling an Axton and grabbing (most part) of the needed gear, here's what I came up with.
It should be noticed that this is a FOR FUN BUILD: it's not intended to deal an insane ammount of DPS or solo raid bosses (and I don't think it can even do it).

THE GEAR
Usually, when presenting a build, you should firstly talk about skill points and then about gear. Given the very peculiar nature of this build, many choiches regarding skill points are waaay more obvious once you know exactly what kind gear you are going to use.

Step 1: THE LOOKS
While creating this build, I had two indisputable points guiding me, and the first one was: It has to be played with one specific Skin
What is this skin that I'm talking about?
TEDIORE VALUE (Obviously!)
For the ones who don't know how to get it and are too lazy to check it, this skin is unlocked upon completing the challenge I talked about in the intro: Bomerbang

Step 2: THE KILLING INSTRUMENTS
The second point guiding the creation of this build was: It has to use ONLY Tediore Weaponry
I grabbed all Tediore Legendaries and tried them out... and it was extremely disappointing

Step 2.1: DISAPPOINTING STUFF
- Gunerang: to be completely onest, I created this build hoping to use this gun as main weapon... I couldn't have been more wrong.
Apparently, the chasing nature of the Gunerang prevents it to explode if thown directly at an enemy in front of you. Basically, what it does is continue straight past the enemy and after a couple of rebounds, chase whatever it decides to (and that could even be you). I loved the idea of playing like Batman, but the random nature of the targeting makes this weapon hardly usable.

- Deliverance: the problem on this gun is, if possible, the opposite of the one with Gunerang. The chasing mechanic of the Deliverance is awesome, and it also shoots while chasing. The only problem is... the output damage. I'm not sure on how the base damage of a reloaded weapon is calculated exactly (and I would be extremely glad if someone explained it to me) but I'm 100% positive that the core of the formula is something like:
[Bullets Remaining in the mag when reloading]*[Bullet Damage]
This alone is enough to understand why the Deliverance isn't as good as it may seem. Every bullet in the gun has a damage of roughly 6k, which we multiply for the number of bullets remaining in the magazine, that would be an average of 7-8 (depending on the weapon). So a reload of this weapon does a base damage of 42k-48k. A damage like this isn't enough, in TVHM, to one shot some mobs.

- Bunny: another weapon, like Gunerang, with a funny effect in theory but a suboptimal one when put into action. Like its already criticized brother, the reload effect of the Bunny makes it hard to hit anything, leave out something you want. Upon reload, the Bunny turns itself into a rocket that starts bouncing around leaving behind one-two grenades. Now, if the rocket DID bounce in the direction you pointed when you reloaded and DID explode when it hits a target in front of you, I would be using it. Unfortunately, it doesn't. So here's the third, and last Tediore legendary weapon we are going to leave on our mules.

Step 2.2: PRETTY COOL STUFF
Jam Packed Dart (1. Fire 2. Corrosive) [Tediore E-Tech Pistol] The Peon Eater
This little lady, in its two variants, is my main weapon, and the one I wear for roughly 60% of the time. Let's analize why she's sooooo good.
Damage Output: the Jam Packed Dart comes with a magazine of 28 and a damage of 11k. As we saw for the Deliverance, if my calculations are correct, you have a BASE damage of 286k (26*11k since it consumes two ammo per shot). To this, we have to add all the bonuses to grenades damage, and the Elemental weakness of our enemy (since we use this against mob, in 90% of the cases its fire or corrosive), that gives us around 75% dmg bonus (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Throwing Trajectory: maybe you noticed, maybe you didn't but the trajectory of the thrown weapon depends on how much said weapon weight. Let me explain: if you throw a Tediore Shotgun, it will have a marked arc, so predicting where your shot lands becomes quite difficult. With this gun, you have a straight trajectory if you aim to a close-middle distance target. Since this build is based on hitting things with your reloads, this become very important.
Ammo: this build consumes a s***ton of bullets. Really. There have been times in which I found yourself COMPLETELY out of ammo. Choosing a Pistol as my main weapon, I have a pool of at least 700 bullets, that in terms of "throws", its 25 reloads.

Baby Maker (2. Fire 1. Corrosive) The Badass Killer
Here comes the first of the two legendary Tediore items I use. What you want is a variant of this SMG with a large magazine (38-39). And you want to equip the one of the element you haven’t on your equipped JPD (that is to say: JPD Fire BM Corrosive - JPD Corrosive BM Fire). This way you can deal with the black sheeps of the area you are in (Say an Armored Psycho in Bloodshot Stronghold or an Architect in Opportunity). Even if the base damage of this SMG is lower of the one of JPD, the special effect of this weapon, which is spawning a second (and sometimes a third) child grenade it’s extremely usefull against big target, like badasses or, even better, bosses. This effect, believe it or not, it’s also the reason why I don’t use the Baby Maker as my main weapon: this build is based on medium-short range combat. If you kill a psycho with your reload, you have to pay attention not to be near the child grenade, unless you want to find yourself Fighting For Your Life
Tediore Splatgun ( Slag ) The third wheel
Wanting to use only Tediore weapons, I had some constraints on my fourth weapon: I couldn’t choose a pistol or an SMG (for ammo reasons, and because I don’t like having two weapons of the same type), Tediore AR don’t exist , so the choice fell on a shotgun. This I rarely use, and if I use it, it’s for slagging my target.

E-Tech Tediore Launcher ( Slag ) If you want something done…
… do it yourself. This launcher is mainly used for second winds, or if you see a group of mobs packed very near and you want to blow them up in one shot (cause you really love the blue sphere that engulfs them…). I use a slag variant, so if a badass is near it gets slagged, but this is really up to you ^^

Step 2.3: ACCESSORIES
Shock Fastball ( Shock ) The Sniper Grenades
This grenade mod has been the only positive discovery out of the Tediore Legendary Pack (since I already knew the Baby Maker). Upon building this on paper, I thought I would have to infect this build with non-Tediore items. I was wrong. The first thing to notice about this grenades is their tiny blast radius. You usually will kill only the enemy you hit… but you have a HUGE probability of hitting him. This grenades travel faster than normal Lobbed ones, and they travel in a trajectory that reminds more a straight line than an arc. This means that if you have a long distance enemy and you keep him in your scope, throwing these has a high probability of hitting him, granting you the long range your weapons don’t have. Why the shock variant? Because I love to have all elements at hand, that’s why.
(Also, it would be awesome killing Buzzards and Rakks with these… Training, training , training)

Instant Shield Your tiny but ever-present ward
As for the shield I had to face another great delusion. I wanted everything on this build to be disposable, and I thought that using [COLOR="Orange]The Cradle[/COLOR] would be a viable solution for a shield… Once again, I was wrong. This shield has a ridiculously low capacity (16-17k) and a far too big recharge delay (3 seconds). In TVHM you would run around without shield most of the time. This is different for the Instant Shield (which, by the way, is Tediore manufactured ^^). The capacity is roughly the same, but the recharge delay (0.98 sec) makes this shield a viable option, provided that you watch out from hits that can one shot you!

Expert Grenadier Class MOD ’cause +90% Grenades Damage is F*CKING AWESOME
This class mod it’s simply self explanatory. You want a version with +6 Steady, +5 Grenadier and +35% grenade damage. This way, investing 5 points in Steady, you have a total of +90% grenades damage, boost that affects ALL your reloads.

Stockpile Relic [+70% Pistol, +70% SMG] Out of ammo?
Maybe at this point everybody was expecting to see a Tediore Allegiance Relic [+30% Dmg, +70% Mag]. Well, the damage boost coming from that +70% Mag it’s really appealing, but with that relic, if you miss one shot, you throw away nearly the double of the bullets you would throw away missing a “not-powered” shot. Also, with Allegiance, you run out of ammo in no time. So I prefer to have a bunch of extra reloads, rather than extra damage.

SKILL POINTS
Skill Tree

GUERRILLA : 16 Pts

Ready [5/5] : +40% Reload speed, it’s a must.

Willing [5/5] : With this, the recharge delay of the Istant Shield becomes 0.6 sec.
I’d consider taking this even if I didn’t have to go down to reach Grenadier.

Schorched Earth [1/1] : Our objective is to reach Grenadier, so we have to spend another 5 points in this tree. Schorched Earth isn’t really necessary (given the way we’ll use our Turret), but still, it’s better than the other abilities available at the moment.

Able [4/5] : Here I had to choose between Able and Sentry. None of them it’s really necessary, but having to chose, I like my hp to be restored, even if little by little

Grenadier [1/5] : ONLY ONE POINT?! Yes. I want to unlock this ability in order of gaining the +5 of our MOD. You could spend 4 point in this, taking them out of the Survival Tree. But I want +18% hp rather than +3 grenades.

SURVIVAL: 3 Pts

Healty [3/5] : We have a low capacity shield. We want the beefest hp possible. Even if this is only +18%, I feel it’s worth spending those three points. I would spend more of them on this, if I could…

GUNPOWDER: 26 Pts YOU NEED THE NUKE!

Impact [5/5] : What we need are all of the Tier 3 skills and the Nuke. In order to unlock Tier 3 we have to spend 10 points in this tree. Out of the 4 abilities in which we can invest points, the ones in Tier 1 have a more beneficial effect rather than Tier 2, so we take them

Expertise [5/5] : Same as the one before. Also +70% Weapon Swap Speed is nice.

Steady [5/5] : Nothing to say about this one. The third MUST HAVE (together with Nuke and Ready).

Longbow Turret [1/1] : See Nuke

Battlefront [5/5] : In most cases, our Turret won’t be deployed for too long. But if we want to boost even further our damage, we can let it on the field and get another 30% damage bonus.

Do or Die[1/1] : At the cost of one point we have +10% Grenades Damage and we can throw our Fastball in FFYL… Taken!

Ranger [3/5] : We have to spend 3 more points to unlock Nuke. None of the others ability is really useful to our playstyle, so we put 3 point in this, even if +3% is ridiculous ^^

Nuke [1/1] : Here it comes. Our most powerful weapon. Our destroyer of mobs. NUKE! The first reason to take this ability is a conceptual one: we throw things at enemies to kill them, that’s what this build do. So it would be non-sense having an action skill that doesn’t kill stuff when thrown. Secondly, I found this ability, combined with Longbow, to be a true life saver. Let me explain: you will one shot nearly any mob and even some badasses. But all the other enemies will keep firing at you. Not having a strong shield or a serious life-regeneration ability, this could be problematic. The Nuke come handy in these situation. If you feel that killing an enemy leaves you too exposed to the fire of his three buddies far away, just fire your Nuke, and you won’t have to worry about them anymore. The reason why we didn’t invest into Sentry is simple: most of the times, once you Nuke, you will recall the Turret to speed up the Cooldown time.

TO DO LIST
Finally, we come to the last section of this waaaaaaaaay to long post ^^
Things I still have to do. Yeah, because the build is still incomplete. Even if I told you much and more about the Jam Packed Dart, I still need the corrosive one. If you like this build, and if you want to help its creator completing it, please contact me if you have that weapon. I’ll give you anything you could want in my shop for it.

Also, I think it would be awesome to make a demonstration video of this build. Unfortunately, I’ve no idea about how they do them on Xbox. So if anyone would help me in this, they would have my full gratitude.

Thanks for reading
Sbuub

Maya: Angelic Nurse wannabe | Axton:Tediore Hot Potato | Zer0: it's complicated. | Gaige: Growing as a Plasma Anarchist.

Last edited by Sbuub; February 20th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Sbuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Sylauskas
Hunter

Default Re: Tediore Hot Potato - Axton Build

Sound nicely! I really want to see the build!
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Dank Rafft
but friends call me Daft

Default Re: [Work In Progress] Tediore Hot Potato - Axton Build

Bunny is a great weapon! You don't believe me? Well, ...

Apart from that you've done a good job.
Dank Rafft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
BucklingSwashes
Because that's a thing.

Love the concept here, personally. I feel your worries about the Gunerang, Deliverance, and Bunny are more based on the amount of time they can take to hit an enemy rather than their actual effects, since ultimately a Gunerang or Deliverance will still be more helpful when trying to hit enemies that are moving quickly or at greater ranges.

I haven't played around with a setup like this a lot myself, but is it not possible to have multiple Tediore projectiles in the air simultaneously? I'll have to test later. If it is indeed possible, I can only imagine how fun it would be to toss several homing Tediore weapons in a short amount of time just to see how many I can get airborne at once. I realize Tediore weapons already have incredibly fast reload speeds compared to most wepaons, but boosting that reload speed even further could result in some truly ridiculous DPS unless I'm mistaken.

Also, I think it's worth noting that when using a Tediore reload-based build, having multiple weapon types to switch back and forth from becomes awfully important for the sake of maintaining your ammo reserves as long as possible. Using only a single weapon or weapon type for a long period of time just means you won't be able to keep this up as long, so maintaining that variety is rather essential.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Sbuub
Boobies Grabber

Quote:
I haven't played around with a setup like this a lot myself, but is it not possible to have multiple Tediore projectiles in the air simultaneously? I'll have to test later. If it is indeed possible, I can only imagine how fun it would be to toss several homing Tediore weapons in a short amount of time just to see how many I can get airborne at once. I realize Tediore weapons already have incredibly fast reload speeds compared to most wepaons, but boosting that reload speed even further could result in some truly ridiculous DPS unless I'm mistaken.
If this is indeed possible to have multi-projectiles, I'll seriously consider taking out the Splatgun in favour of the Deliverance. I'll go testing it right now ^^
Thank you sir ^^

Maya: Angelic Nurse wannabe | Axton:Tediore Hot Potato | Zer0: it's complicated. | Gaige: Growing as a Plasma Anarchist.

Last edited by Sbuub; February 20th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Mirrorada
Synthetic Human

Added this to the Commando Master List: Build Collection
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Sbuub
Boobies Grabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorada View Post
Added this to the Commando Master List: Build Collection
Thank you!

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Slayer Jesse
Automated Death Deployer

this thread has several texmods for axton's hats that make them look better with tediore value. i believe it may be relevant to your interests.

I understand your reasoning for stockpile over allegiance, but its not a manufacturer build w/o an allegiance. plus, +30% Dmg and +70% magsize is hilarious dmg output. will agree on shotguns tho, they're really hard to aim.

My Borderlands and Full Metal Alchemist Crossover: The Alchemist And The Anarchist.
69 Delta Force Axton, 69 Plasma Anarchist Gaige (Kill it with turrets and electricity, respectively.)
Slayer Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Sbuub
Boobies Grabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Jesse View Post
this thread has several texmods for axton's hats that make them look better with tediore value. i believe it may be relevant to your interests.

I understand your reasoning for stockpile over allegiance, but its not a manufacturer build w/o an allegiance. plus, +30% Dmg and +70% magsize is hilarious dmg output. will agree on shotguns tho, they're really hard to aim.
Thanks for the suggestion on the skins, but actually I love my Wetworker head. To me, it's the most badass of Axton's heads ^^

As for the relic... I know i should use Tediore Allegiance, but it becomes really hard play with it. Let me explain:

Basic Pistol Ammo: 700
Basic Pistol Recharges: 25 (700/28)
Stockpile Pistol Ammo: 1190
Stockpile Pistol Recharges: 42
Allegiance Pistol Magazine: 43
Allegiance Recharges: 16

I know the build would be more coherent using a Tediore Allegiance Relic, but you wouldn't have enough things to throw. I guess it would be viable against bosses though...

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Slayer Jesse
Automated Death Deployer

wetworker's not bad, but Covert ops is drop dead sexy. too bad it's dlc tho. if you could get an ammo regen sal on your team you might be able to swing the allegiance relic.

My Borderlands and Full Metal Alchemist Crossover: The Alchemist And The Anarchist.
69 Delta Force Axton, 69 Plasma Anarchist Gaige (Kill it with turrets and electricity, respectively.)
Slayer Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote