The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1
WarMonkey87

Default How to approach PT3

I'd like to kick off this round of speculation and see if there might be a consensus on how to approach PT3. In case you missed it:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...ease-announced

In case you live under a rock and are too lazy to click on the link, here's what we know:
  • The level cap is being increased to 61
  • A PT3 is being added where enemies will scale to match the highest level of people in your party.
  • A new weapon tier is being added, although this doesn't really affect much in this conversation IMO.

I did not attend PAX and I haven't read anything more than that, but based on the above, here's some few important questions that still linger. I welcome any source supported answers.
  • Will quests and quest rewards scale to match the enemy level too or will they be stuck until a "PT3.5"?
  • Will scaling continue the pace we see from levels 45 to 50?
  • Will experience needed for the next level grow exponentially?

At first glance, it doesn't seem like GB did much to avoid the pitfalls inherit to a PT{x} and PT{x.5} setup to my dismay (although overall, I am very happy with yesterday's news). It seems very likely that a 3.5 is going to occur where players will need to wait until they are at cap level to do sidequests and difficulty spikes will persist not because of a level disparity but because of the loot level difference.

So community, any preliminary thoughts?
WarMonkey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Asdeft

Default Re: How to approach PT3

I am very excited! I play this game with a friend and we beat Playthrough 1 & 2 together on Borderlands 1 & 2. We were both pretty bored with Borderlands 2 after doing what we could in Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, but now there's stuff to do. I know we will have to get out gear back to top tier, but thats part of the RPG experience.

To answer your question, I honestly don't care how they do it. I am thinking that they will just lock out the side stuff and just put you on the main quests because that sounds reasonable if it scales. When you beat the DLC, you get to do side quests. As long as I get more skill points, inventory, ammo and some cool new guns, I am happy.
Asdeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
bigdug13

My thoughts:

In order to make UVHM work properly for both people who are stuck at 50 due to not paying $5 as well as people whose cap is 61, UVHM will completely scale to the player's level. Any quests accepted will be accepted at the level of the highest party member as well as enemies encoutered.

What this means is that you won't have to wait until you defeat the Warrior before you start farming unique quest rewards. As soon as you hit 61, you can start accepting quests and building your unique collection.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #4
WarMonkey87

I generally don't bump, but with ChrisF's update on how UVHM works, I think it's worth doing (besides I have a question now).

With this update, here's what we know:

UVHM enemies scale to your level at any given point in it.
You can reset UVHM's overall mission progress at any point and repeat them.
You skip tutorial missions.
Enemies will have 4 times more health, and slag now lasts longer and multiplies damage by 3.

Given all that, it would seem that with the way UVHM is set up, being overleveled while carrying underleveled guns is just about the worst thing in the world. To me, it seems the best thing to do is go to UVHM immediately after hitting level 50 and beating the Warrior. Anyone else agree? What's your thoughts?
WarMonkey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Coyote Sly

You're assuming 2.5 no longer scales, which would be stupid and I hope they don't do. If it scales, I'm grinding Warrior (which will level with me) to 6-. If not, I'll quest PT3 until I level, then reset and do it again. Unless they've really, really, honest to God fixed the scaling anyway.
Coyote Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
SuitableTr​ain8
Spilled the Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMonkey87 View Post
I generally don't bump, but with ChrisF's update on how UVHM works, I think it's worth doing (besides I have a question now).

With this update, here's what we know:

UVHM enemies scale to your level at any given point in it.
You can reset UVHM's overall mission progress at any point and repeat them.
You skip tutorial missions.
Enemies will have 4 times more health, and slag now lasts longer and multiplies damage by 3.

Given all that, it would seem that with the way UVHM is set up, being overleveled while carrying underleveled guns is just about the worst thing in the world. To me, it seems the best thing to do is go to UVHM immediately after hitting level 50 and beating the Warrior. Anyone else agree? What's your thoughts?
More levels = more skill points and have saved up gold keys just for this... so it should not be too bad. Think ill use my missions to turn in to get to 51, then grind through a level or two, then use more missions....

72 OP 8 Brianna-Siren, prestige 5, GT: SuitableTrain8, BA Rank 150K+
Bad Item Of The Day
SuitableTr​ain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #7
RestEasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Sly View Post
You're assuming 2.5 no longer scales, which would be stupid and I hope they don't do. If it scales, I'm grinding Warrior (which will level with me) to 6-. If not, I'll quest PT3 until I level, then reset and do it again. Unless they've really, really, honest to God fixed the scaling anyway.
I see no reason why 2.5 would scale with you if in PT 3 you can reset the progress and start over and over.

I still think the best bet is to play the new playthrough until your gear is obsolete THEN if you have them turn in your quests. Makes no sense to jump to 51 (or higher) immediately making your gear immediately worthless.
RestEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Coyote Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestEasy View Post
I see no reason why 2.5 would scale with you if in PT 3 you can reset the progress and start over and over.

I still think the best bet is to play the new playthrough until your gear is obsolete THEN if you have them turn in your quests. Makes no sense to jump to 51 (or higher) immediately making your gear immediately worthless.
Because UVHM was intentionally designed to be tedious bullshit, and not everyone will want to play it. I guess I could thank them - they effectively saved me $5 if they did it that way - but that's exactly why I would expect they didn't, because they KNOW UVHM has a very niche appeal (they did that intentionally), and making the paid DLC only useful there restricts the potential sale of the paid DLC to a small portion of the user base.
Coyote Sly is offline   Reply With Quote