The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
coredumperror

Default With UVHM coming, will there be a PT3.5?

I'm just about to reach the end of TVHM for the first time (yeah yeah, I'm behind the times, so sue me for finding an amazing game so late!), and I'm wondering what's going to happen with quests being leveled up when you finish the story (AKA Playthrough 2.5)? I guess we won't really know until the patch comes, unless a Gearbox employee at PAX East or elsewhere mentioned it. But if there has been such an announcement, I'd really like to know, since it'll significantly affect my gameplay decisions in the coming days.
coredumperror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #2
bigdug13

Default Re: With UVHM coming, will there be a PT3.5?

UVHM IS 3.5. The entire content will be scaled and infinitely repeatable. Our use of the term "playthrough something.5" is going to become obsolete.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #3
sids2009
E-DeltaForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdug13 View Post
UVHM IS 3.5. The entire content will be scaled and infinitely repeatable. Our use of the term "playthrough something.5" is going to become obsolete.
Yep.

Everything changes for the better.... it's gonna be amazing.

Try SRC -- the Sales Rep Challenge
Salvadorito | Dahlmation | Gentlem0nster | Sexbot
NUNS with GUNS: Delilah, Jael, and Jezebel
sids2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #4
coredumperror

But... that doesn't make sense. If everything scales to 61 immediately, how are level 50s going to get anywhere at the beginning of the game?

UVHM will have to be just like TVHM was, but this time starting at 50 and scaling up to 61 as the game progresses. Won't it?
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Certified 'Zerker
Thread Killer

Everything scales to you instead of you being over/underleveled. It's freakin' awesome.
Certified 'Zerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #6
bigdug13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coredumperror View Post
But... that doesn't make sense. If everything scales to 61 immediately, how are level 50s going to get anywhere at the beginning of the game?

UVHM will have to be just like TVHM was, but this time starting at 50 and scaling up to 61 as the game progresses. Won't it?
No, it works like BL1 2.5. It will keep scaling to you as you level. This way they can make it playable for people who don't buy the level upgrade to 61. What you're talking about would make it impossible for a player who doesn't spend $5 to complete UVHM. Why would they come out with a free update that creates a new playthrough that is impossible to complete without spending money?

The answer is they wouldn't. So how do you make one playthrough that is able to be completed both by the player stuck at level 50 and for the player who can level to 61?

You make it scale to the player's level. For multiplayer it will either scale to the highest level player, or it will scale to the host's level. So if you start it at level 53 because you decided to do the DLC's for TVHM after reaching 50, then knuckledragger will be around 53 as well. Once you ding to 54, the content will be around 54-56. Once you ding to 55, the content will be 55-57.

Let me put it this way. Imagine a guy who didn't want to spend $5 for a level cap upgrade. He gets the free update for UVHM and he plays it. Now imagine he's in Hero's Pass. He's still only level 50. And he's facing a horde of level 61 enemies on his way to the final showdown. How realistic does this sound?

Last edited by bigdug13; March 29th, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7
coredumperror

Oh, that makes much more sense, now. I wasn't aware that you had to buy DLC to get to the new level cap. I just looked it up, and I'm glad to see that this level cap increase is included in the Season Pass. I got that like, 2 hours after buying the game, 'cause I oulfd already tell that the full experience was going to be outstanding.
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #8
ELPRESADOR

UVHM is repeatable?!?!? sorry for not knowing this, not on the forums much but thats awesome.
ELPRESADOR is offline   Reply With Quote