The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Aliens: Colonial Marines > A:CM General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Old April 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
HisRoyalSweetness

Default Steam Credit issued with help from WA State Attorney General!!!

OK! Resolution!!

--------------------------------------------------

Our office has received a reply from Valve Corporation regarding your complaint. Enclosed is a copy for your records. Valve Corporation has agreed to credit your full purchase price of $49.99 paid for the software product Aliens: Colonial Marines on 2/5/2013. This does not necessarily reflect on the validity of your claim, nor does it preclude you from, or, assist you in seeking private legal remedies. Based on the response from Valve Software we are closing your file.

We will retain a copy of your complaint as part of our public record of the firmís business practices. Thank you for contacting our office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve's response:

Dear XXXXXX,

Valve will credit Mr. XXXX account for the full purchase price of $49.99. This is in no way an indication of any wrongdoing on the part of Valve corporation, it is a simple matter of customer service. All product information is provided by the titleís third party developer. This includes game trailers, screenshots, feature lists, and system requirements. The accuracy of this information is the responsibility of this third party developer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's almost a carbon copy of their last response, except they add the refund to the deflection to make it go away.

So, in the end, it's a win. I don't know how many people are concerned with Valve "admitting" they know the store page isn't accurate. I think the credit will be enough for most.

BBB = Notihing
Attorney General for the State the retailer you purchased your copy from = Win.

BELOW is the older part of the thread.

This thread has been hijacked. There is nothing here about a lawsuit. This is about filing a complaint with Washington State Attorney General if you bought the game from Steam. This is not a lawsuit, nor is it in anyway related to a lawsuit. All references to Class action lawsuits in response to this thread are deliberate attempts to hijack the thread.

Keep in mind if you did not but from Steam, take these same steps With the Attorney General for the State the company you bought from is based in.

If you kept getting the auto response from Steam "See Section 3 of the subscriber agreement..." when you requested a refund, this is a good avenue for you. As you will read below, The Washington State Attorney General will not accept that answer. They can and will take real, quantifiable action against Steam.

You need to make sure you file a complaint (not a lawsuit) with the WA ST. Attorney General on this (If you bought from Steam) as they have and can force a reply, and are following up as the first reply did not address the complaint.

The WA State Attorney Gereral does not accept the Steam robo answer of "See Section 3 of the subscriber agreement..." as a resolution to your complaint. You are in the loop, have a State rep who is building a case for false advertisement. You are given their office number and email. This is a real thing with real progress. Not just a "complain and hope for the best" deal.

It looks like at this point, if you want a refund from Steam, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You need to point out how different the game is from what they posted on the store page (And still have on the store page with no disclaimer) They pulled these screens from material that Sega has been forced to label as "Not actual gam play footage".

the WA ST Attorney General needs more complaints to force a refund from Steam, they are able to force refunds if the number reaches a certain amount, although they have not stated what the amount is.

https://fortress.wa.gov/atg/formhand...laintForm.aspx
Make sure you point out the Sega disclaimer and the other screens used on the steam store page that are not a factual representation of the game.

Many people have suggested filing with the BBB to get action, but I have some interesting news from a Steam group dedicated to this game.

Steam is refusing to answer BBB complaints. This is right off of the groups forums:

My response from BBB:

"Thank you for contacting Better Business Bureau regarding your complaint. We have attempted to contact the business and asked that they respond. We are disappointed to report that we have not received a response from the company. This company is not a BBB Accredited Business, and has not agreed to work with us to resolve complaints.

We have closed this case as unanswered and it will be reflected in the company's public BBB business review. Please notify us immediately if the business contacted you directly and resolved the complaint."

You need to make sure you file with the WA ST. Attorney General on this (If you bought from Steam) as they have and can force a reply, and are following up as the first reply did not address the complaint.

If you know anyone who was on here demanding a refund, but does not come to the forums anymore, PM them and direct them to this thread. Steam may be close to issuing refunds as is... there are reports of Steam refusing to answer tickets requesting a refund, even on first time requests, and now the refusal to answer the BBB! Weird, huh?

Gl all. Spread the word.

I got this from the Steam group "Never Forget 2-12-13: Burned by Aliens colonial marines" if you want to check it out for yourself.

Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness; April 27th, 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Resolved!!!!!!
HisRoyalSweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
piffk

Default Re: Update on Steam Refund requests: How to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisRoyalSweetness View Post
As many of you know, if you were not one of the few lucky ones that requested a refund almost immediately, you did not get one from Steam.

Many people have suggested filing with the BBB to get action, but I have some interesting news from a Steam group dedicated to this game.

Steam is refusing to answer BBB complaints. This is right off of the groups forums:

My response from BBB:

"Thank you for contacting Better Business Bureau regarding your complaint. We have attempted to contact the business and asked that they respond. We are disappointed to report that we have not received a response from the company. This company is not a BBB Accredited Business, and has not agreed to work with us to resolve complaints.

We have closed this case as unanswered and it will be reflected in the company's public BBB business review. Please notify us immediately if the business contacted you directly and resolved the complaint."

You need to make sure you file with the WA ST. Attorney General on this (If you bought from Steam) as they have and can force a reply, and are following up as the first reply did not address the complaint.

It looks like at this point, if you want a refund from Steam, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You need to point out how different the game is from what they posted on the store page (And still have on the store page with no disclaimner) They pulled these screens from material that sega has been forced to lable as "Not actual gamplay footage".

the WA ST Attorney General needs more complaints to force a refund from Steam, they are able to force refunds if the number reaches a certain amount, although they have not stated what the amount is.

https://fortress.wa.gov/atg/formhand...laintForm.aspx
Make sure you point out the Sega disclaimer and the other screens used on the steam store page that are not a factual representation of the game.

If you know anyone who was on here demanding a refund, but does not come to the forums anymore, PM them and direct them to this thread. Steam may be close to issuing refunds as is... there are reports of Steam refusing to answer tickets requesting a refund, even on first time requests, and now the refusal to answer the BBB! Weird, huh?

Gl all. Spread the word.

I got this from the Steam group "Never Forget 2-12-13: Burned by Aliens colonial marines" if you want to check it out for yourself.
or we could all band together and create a class action lawsuit.
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Yun0
Im a piece of ****

Oh my god sigh...
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #4
HisRoyalSweetness

I don't think anyone is doing a Class Action here, even if you did, you would get $10 and the lawyers would get millions. At least this way, you get your $49.99 back from steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yun0 View Post
Oh my god sigh...
I hope your sigh is directed at the CA Lawsuit comment, and only there because it's something people talk about but don't do. If you are sighing at what I posted, it's a sad, sad reflection of where we are when people are apathetic to being wronged, and hostile toward people trying to make it right.

Please don't hijack an informational thread negative comments extolling the virtues of apathy and "taking it".
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Arcturian Poontang

These threads about lawsuits and refunds are getting very old. I bought this game off Steam and for the Xbox 360, and though I feel doubly burned, I have no one to blame but myself. No one twisted my arm to buy this game. If anything, this debacle has taught me to be a little more selective in my gaming choices-to be more cognizant of reviews, etc. The best way to get back at Sega and Gearbox is to simply not buy the game.
Arcturian Poontang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Yun0
Im a piece of ****

The sigh is at the whole thread the whole bbb/lawsuit crap OVER A GAME CAUSE YOU "DONT LIKE IT".
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #7
submarinex1

Quote:
Oh my god sigh...
its quite funny, no matter what game bbb have yet to achieve anything yer the poor kids still keep quoting them like they are able to do anything, I bet bbb are fed up with kids filling out reports on complaints they know they can do nothing about.

from what ive read steam allows one refund per account. I wonder how many have got refunds based on claiming the game is different other than using that part of steams policy on refunds. reason I mention it i have arma3 and its quite funny the people on that forum asking for refunds because game don't run on their pc.

HisRoyalSweetness its not your fault you have seen other people make 20 page threads on bbb and thought they have anything to do with people not liking a game so get a refund.....nope.

Last edited by submarinex1; April 15th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
submarinex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Netsforex
Hace Fugger

Quote:
The sigh is at the whole thread the whole bbb/lawsuit crap OVER A GAME CAUSE YOU "DONT LIKE IT".
^+1

The game wasn't what was advertised/what it was hyped up to be? OMG this is the first time something like this has ever happened in gaming!

You'd have a better chance calling Trading Standards

Dr. Keyes says: "A grenade a day keeps a chestburster at bay!"

Xenos can't get you if you're on fire

I think A:CM will be a Cult classic (Member of the Predaker Party)

"We're not just doing it for money.
We're doing it for a S***LOAD of money!" - Lone Starr
"Aw, you're right. And when you're right you're right.
And you? You're always right." - Barf

I'ma Hace Fug you, right down your throat

Last edited by Netsforex; April 15th, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Netsforex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #9
HisRoyalSweetness

I'm guessing from the responses most people did not read the thread at all.

I confirm that Steam is not even acknowledging complaints from the BBB, and state it is NOT the way to go.

You need to go to the WA ST Attorney General (because that is where Steam is based) and file the complaint there. If they get enough complaints they take action. Steam will refund if pressured, see the WarZ It was refunded after mounting complaints.

Do you UNDERSTAND that The WA State Attorney General responds to Steam canned response "See section three of your Subscriber Agreement..." Telling them this is NOT an acceptable answer to why the store page does not match the game? They don't just say "well, here's what Steam said, sorry."

You think more complaints about Steam to the WA ST Attorney General would hurt this cause?

If you comb through these forums, I have said BBB is NOT the way to go right from the start, you needed to file with the Attorney General and the FTC, that's where the action is.

For the people who jumped on me because they thought it was another BBB thread, I get it.. shame on you for not reading it, I guess but w/e.

I'm more concerned about the people who are like trained dogs, eager to come to their masters heel, and somehow rationalize that it's "Their fault" if they are abused. It's frightening that you not only blindly do what you are told, but chastise others for not rolling on their belly and piddling on themselves if master beckons. Authority/right Me/wrong. That's terribly sad, and alarming.

I honestly am curious about how you could by any stretch of the imagination blame yourself for being mislead on the Steam website. It's even more curious to me why you would get so emo about someone doing something about it.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Predaker
naked and fearless

Default Re: Steam Refunds via the WA State Attorney General.

I had a chance to get a full refund after opening my collector's edition because it was missing content. After playing the game I decided to keep it. Later on when Bug Hunt came out, I purchased the season pass.