The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Homeworld > Homeworld News

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

Default Homeworld Acquisition and Plans

Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.

Please visit our Homeworld Discussion forum to share with us and Brian what you think should be done with Homeworld moving forward. And, please try to get our attention if you have capability and interest to join the effort in developing or enabling Homeworld's future.

Last edited by ChrisF; April 22nd, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
wildsurveyor
First Access Club Member

Default Re: Homeworld Acquisition and Plans

I have been waiting so long for this....

Steam it baby....Steam it
wildsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3
ÜberJumper

Relicnews.com here! Very excited!

I'm based in the Vancouver area, I'd love to meet with anyone from Gearbox if they come visit Relic to get any source code.

The "We Want Homeworld 3" facebook group's a good spot to find a few thousand fans. https://www.facebook.com/groups/wewanthomeworld3/

Also, Homeworld forum at www.Relicnews.com is still kicking after 13+ years. http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdis...meworld-Series

Edit: Adding "We Want Homeworld 3" and RN forum link

Last edited by ÜberJumper; April 22nd, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Psychichazard
lR0N PAWS

Send a message via Skype™ to Psychichazard

Oh, hell yes. One of my favourites.

To contact Gearbox tech support: CLICK HERE

Sign the Pledge! Gamers Against Bigotry

R.I.P. Magical2099
Psychichazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Judge Bergan

Great news! Thanks Gearbox!
Judge Bergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM   #6
DukeToma

Awesome! I hope to see some absolutely beautiful space scenes in a future Homeworld game.
DukeToma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Techercizer
Down me at your peril

I have mixed feelings about this.

Gearbox are good people, but I feel like they're still teething a bit as developers. They produce a lot of great, original things that are like nothing available elsewhere in the industry. Their humour is incredible, their mechanics are bold; above all else, they're willing to take risks, and that's refreshing.

That being said, those risks don't always work out. Sometimes they step up to the plate and strike out, or they hit balls right down the center that divide the community into people who love or hate their idea. It's a necessary hazard of exploring new territory, and we can't expect every swing to be a home run, but strikes do happen.

Personally, I don't really feel like Homeworld as an IP needs brilliant ideas or innovation as much as it needs someone to not screw it up. The formula works, the territory's charted, and I've been waiting for another game like the first two for ages. If Gearbox can keep their innovations subtle and stick true to the Homeworld spirit, I foresee an excellent title that will fill a decade-old void in the market. I just hope they don't try and bite off more than they can chew.

The move towards making the older games more available and accessible to the modern generation is a strong one to open with, and it sends a very positive message.

Last edited by Techercizer; April 22nd, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Techercizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Haekel
Rabid Fan

Haekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Squebeb
skweh-beb /skwɛbɛb/

Glad to see this franchise is still being alive after the unfortunate demise of THQ. Good luck, Gearbox!
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
assasing123

Pro Hw1 modder here, Avid hw2 player, I m a bit confused about my feelings, I like gearbox, but after the complete mess that was duke nukem forever, I have a lot of fears about the HW franchise, all I gotta say is I would love and wish and request that Gearbox provide an open source license for the HW1 source, so the modding community of said game can pick it up and make awesome stuff with it.

But after seeing the stuff that happened with duke nukem reloaded, it again stirs the fear that Gearbox like EA might be just interested on milking the franchise and not letting others be creative with a game.
assasing123 is offline   Reply With Quote