The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1
rustybroomhandle

Default What I want to see

I basically just logged in to insult Gearbox and tell them how much they suck, but I see that divine duty is already being taken care of, so instead I will attempt a measured and polite post.

What I would like from a new Homeworld:

1. It must be an RTS just as before. Not a MOBA, or a shooter or an ARPG. A real-time strategy game with resource gathering and everything else.

2. The game must capture the mood of its predecessors. The creative director must understand the value of subtlety too. Even with battles at their most grand, the undertones were always slightly melancholy. Delivered in part by the pacing, but also the illusion of scale that the backdrop provided. It made you feel small. And underneath all of that was the Paul Ruskay soundtrack - that wailing middle-eastern sound and earthiness.

3. Paul Ruskay on music.

4. Homeworld 2 had the most amazing skyboxes. Be just as amazing. Even half as amazing and it'll be fine.

5. A meaningful single player campagin.

6. Good old-fashioned pay and play. None of this f2p nonsense.

7. Mac and Linux versions. If supporting multiple platforms is difficult for you, you are doing it wrong.

8. DO NOT: Use the phrase "badass" in your design meetings, it's a sure sign of suckage. Basically, leave your "bro" outside the door. You're writing poetry, not making a Michael Bay movie.
rustybroomhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Azhrarn
First Access Club Member

Default Re: What I want to see

Pretty much all of this. Well spoken mr Broomhandle.
Azhrarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Rjames112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybroomhandle View Post
The game must capture the mood of its predecessors. The creative director must understand the value of subtlety too. Even with battles at their most grand, the undertones were always slightly melancholy. Delivered in part by the pacing, but also the illusion of scale that the backdrop provided. It made you feel small. And underneath all of that was the Paul Ruskay soundtrack - that wailing middle-eastern sound and earthiness.
DO NOT: Use the phrase "badass" in your design meetings, it's a sure sign of suckage. Basically, leave your "bro" outside the door. You're writing poetry, not making a Michael Bay movie.
These two. While I think a lot of the bro/badass stuff came along with the Borderlands franchise, again Homeworld is a completely different animal.
Rjames112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4
rustybroomhandle

Forgot to add: Make it for mouse & keyboard. RTS designed for controllers typically don't work out too well. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that creating for consoles is why we're seen such a decline in RTS over the years.
rustybroomhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
xlynx

Your point #2 sent tingles down my spine. I'm dusting off the CD-ROM and going for a trip down memory lane. Who's coming?
xlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #6
PanderMusubi

+1 on Linux and the other points
PanderMusubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #7
Psychichazard
lR0N PAWS

Send a message via Skype™ to Psychichazard

Please check the dates of previous posts.

To contact Gearbox tech support: CLICK HERE

Sign the Pledge! Gamers Against Bigotry

R.I.P. Magical2099
Psychichazard is offline   Reply With Quote