The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Brothers in Arms > BiA Story Time

Old October 29th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Mac
LCpl. Satter USMC

Default I know who Fox Co./502 PIR company cammander is.

Captain LeGrand King "Legs" Johnson was company commander of F/502. He won the Silver Star Medal on 13 June, 1944 in Normandy, for leading a M-4 Tank of the 66th Armored Regiment to rescue part of his company, which had been surrounded by elements of the 17th SS division.

On 18 September, 1944, Johnson's battalion (2/502) was attacking west toward Best, Holland in concert with third battalion. German fire came in murderous volume and Legs called the Dog Co. commander, Francis 'Bud'Rainey on the radio.
"Bud, bring your company up on line with us!" Legs yelled.
"**** YOU!", came the reply.
Soon after, a rifle bullet wounded Legs Johnson in the right shoulder. Medics made him lie down and set up an IV with plasma flowing into him. Medical jeeps bearing stretchers were evacuating wounded two at a time, to a field hospital in Son. Since many of the wounded were hit more seriously than himself, Legs kept delaying his own evacuation, telling the medics to convey the others first. Even when Legs was finally loaded, he was still telling them to delay and take others. Against his objections, he was placed across the hood of the jeep on a stretcher and then the jeep scratched-off, headed for Son.
At that time, a German MG42 machinegun fired at the jeep from over 500 yards distance. One round entered Legs' helmet and tore into his head. He lost consciousness and would not wake -up until weeks later.
At the hospital in Son, Legs was briefly examined and since he was unconscious and his brains were exposed, he was relegated to the 'dead pile' of troopers who were wounded so seriously that they had no chance to survive.
Later that afternoon, Sgt Charles DOHUN (Hollywood changed his first name to EDDIE), who was Legs' runner wandered over to the hospital for a specific purpose. He knew that the captain had a substantial amount of cash in his billfold and he didn't want a stranger from another unit to get it.
Dohun spotted Captain Johnson in the dead pile and examined him-when he discovered that Legs was still breathing, he carried him into an operating room and ordered the surgeon to save him. When the doctor refused, Dohun pointed a souvenir Luger at him and threatened to shoot him (he did not use a .45 as shown in 'A Bridge Too Far', but a .45 looks more impressive).

The operation was successful. Legs regained consciousness six weeks later in a hospital, "deaf, dumb, blind, and with a steel plate in my head." As of this writing (October, 2005), Legs is still alive in Florida. Charles Dohun survived WW2 and lived in N.C. until his death about 15 years ago.

I found it at this website: http://www.101airborneww2.com/warstories2.html
scroll down a little

Don't get between me and my objective
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #2
Raccoon
Rakoenin

Default Re: I know who Fox Co./502 PIR company cammander is.

nice story . I wonder if BIA will ever be able to keep up with the real stories so we could see other squads, platoons and officers around. It would make the game complete.

I feel sorry for this commander. Saving his own men he got hit while being saved himself

"If there's one thing I've learnt in the army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh!" - General melchett
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Dod 6 USMC
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
nice story . I wonder if BIA will ever be able to keep up with the real stories so we could see other squads, platoons and officers around. It would make the game complete.

I feel sorry for this commander. Saving his own men he got hit while being saved himself
You guys should come and join in with our conversation on my thread Collection Of Ideas for BIA 3! We need some good stories like the above.
Dod 6 USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:49 AM   #4
NewHouse
HOOAH!!!

Nice! When I saw it in "A Bridge Too Far", I thought it was something they just made up. This would be great to see in BiA3
NewHouse is offline   Reply With Quote