The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:11 PM   #1
pmainpri
Borderlands Focus Tester

Send a message via Skype™ to pmainpri
Lightbulb pmain's frame by frame breakdown.

This thread is for a frame by frame break down of the new trailer. L3V posted a great breakdown in the E3 trailer thread and we should copy it into here.

Here is my break down.
Borderlands. Obviously.

The trailer opens with a buggy chase scene the first driver is clearly Roland. The buggy chasing is red and has sweet shark teeth decal or paint.

Next there is "Plors Trade and Supplies"
This has a poster on the wall with what looks like a shotgun, an assault rifle, a sniper rifle barrel and another shotgun. Lilith is chilling in the shade and the door is open behind her. as L3V pointed out there is some type of fuel tank or barrel over her shoulder.

The top half of Plors has a big Arrow sign and a man on a balcony. His identity is unknown. There is a blue sign in the bottom left corner with some numbers and letters on it.

Next is the amazing red chest. This has 4 pistols in it 2 with blade handles.
the guns with blades are green and tan, the other 2 are a gold or yellow. the 2 on the furthers from the middle appear to have an extended clip. there is also what looks like 4 clips of ammo in the left tray.

Next we are out in who knows where and a Creature seems to be standing up. some one is in the back ground L3V suggests it might be Roland i dont know. There are also Vents that are spitting out a green steam. The Creature Definitely has some electrical or energy effect. Judging from the lightning at the tips of his legs.

As the camera spins there is another creature in the background with a white mark on its head shell thing.

Next is the shirtless bandit. As L3V pointed out the bandit has the Borderlands emblem symbol on his mask.

In the next few frames its hard to tell if He hits something and sprays acid or green blood or if he is about to swing and something shoots acid at him. I'll let you decide. Also L3V noticed the building is numbered 48. He is also wearing orange pants i never thought about this till just now but modern US prison clothing is an orange jumpsuit. Dont know if that correlates but maybe he is an escaped convict.

The bandit is Followed by a skag its hard to tell if it is on fire due to incendiary rounds or if it is a burning skag. L3V noticed this I'm just reiterating. Its eyes glow blue. in the background are what look like the rumored exploding cacti.

Next is the Ramping Bandits. the first buggy is painted like desert camo and the second is yellow. The second has a driver and 2 bandits hanging on the edge of it. one fires his gun. if you look closely his gun has glowing green parts most likely shoots with acid damage. the other bandits eyes glow red maybe he has infra red vision goggles.

Next up is what i'm assuming is the first ever new art style GAMEPLAY. IT IS SWEET.
The gun is a pump action shotgun. and kills the bandit in one hit. this gun causes 84 damage. The dying bandit drops loot. YES LOOT it looks like some ammo and some other item. again if you look closely there is already a dead bandit laying at our shooters feet, and another one in the distance behind a wall. hopefully this suggest good AI that will take cover making gameplay more interesting. Since this is the only gameplay we have i took the most pictures from it. it is frames 517-522. however the whole sections last from frames 517-541. could make a great GIF.

Next is the Wind mill with the rakk circling in the background. and a small shack in the bottom corner.

This is followed by our local Siren lilith. she obviously activates some effect or skill. L3V pointed out she looks like a biotic from ME(mass effect).

The video ends with a daunting image of the massive Excavator mining rig. SO SO SO glad this is in the game. below the big saw in the distance are some of those rumored exploding cacti from the other screenshots.

That is all for my frame by frame break down. feel free to discuss or tell me i'm wrong on something.

And here is L3V's epic breakdown with alot of great details.
-Person in grey buggy appears to be Roland. He is tailed by someone dressed consistently with what we've seen of the bandits. Bandit's buggy is also consistent with the screens we've seen of those buggies (red with shark mouth front).
-Buggies lean as they turn. Might make things a tad difficult for anyone riding shotgun/sides.
-House on side of road with electrical wires near it. Similar to modern towns. Power line ends at house, indicating it's far from town.
-Buggies have three headlights. One over each front wheel, and one over the driver.

-Store with the blond man on the balcony is a Gun Supply store. Four guns sprayed on the side. Left most appears to be in line with the shotguns we saw last E3. Second gun (middle left) looks suspiciously similar to the colt line of the AR-15 models (M4/M16, etc), Middle right looks like the barrel of a sniper rifle + muzzle break. That is speculation, though. Hard to see. Rightmost looks like another shotgun. Store has a sign saying "Supplies". A person that looks like Lilith is standing next to the door just like how Nova stood next to the bed in Megaton. Man on the balcony is a previously unknown character. Most likely a minor, quest-giving NPC.
-What appears to be a gas tank is located next to the building adjacent to the store. I wonder if it goes boom.
-Door at bottom floor is open, while door at balcony is closed. This implies some sort of open/close mechanism for doors.
-Satellite antenna on adjacent building. TV? Other communications?
-Store appears to be called "Plor". "Trade" is written under it. Written, with paint. Makes that sign (Yellow color makes me suspect HeNe, with more Ne than He) look rare and, dare I say it, flashy.

-Weapon case still holds up to eight small items (grenades, etc) and up to four weapons (based on size).
-Upset that left panel went through that metal bar. Very upset. In a trailer vid, no less!
-Two pistols have blades. Makes those blade mounts seem common.
-Lock on front looks like the coin slot in gumball machines.
-Map(?) on ground next to crate
-Chain mesh fence is a 2D texture.

-Creature (can we have a name for that, please?) has those speckles of color on it - indicates it's a unique, if not a super-unique.
-Appears to be larger than a human.
-Might be the shading, but it looks like that's Roland trying to solo that beast.
-Mounds that look like a cross between an anthill and a hollowed out tree stump leading into the ground are emitting greenish fumes. There are at least three. Expect enemies to pour out of those. Looks like there's moss/lichen on the large one (the first to pan in from the left)

-We finally see proof of a day/night cycle.
-Bandits really, really favor those pizza cutters.
-Lightbulbs exists can are in working condition
-Water splashes (bottom left corner) have been improved significantly. Looks great.
-Bandit's mask has the inverted V on it (the paint job). First the logo, then Brick's ring, now this. Very prominent, indeed.
-Bandits seem to like taping their wrists.
-Gas/Oil/similar natural resource is still used for energy
-Building 48.
-Scar/tatto on left shoulder.

-Skag(?) is on fire. Unknown if it ran through fire, or if it was hit by a gun with an incendiary effect, or if it comes that way. Glowing blue eyes. Does not set grass on fire
(no self-propagating fire). Very agile. Can jump/pounce.

-People riding on side can fire weapons, not just use pizza cutters to make awesome sparks.

-When hit, enemies have a small icon showing how much damage they've taken (might be experience earned). The one hit by the shotgun gave an 84.
-Corpses don't disappear.
-Loot flies out of body.
-Bandits still run toward you if you've killed two of his allies.

-Rakks fly an awful lot like Ravens.
-House on bottom left corner. Not the M.D.
-Wind turbines seem to be a pretty important energy source. There are many.

-If it looks like this, I can almost guarantee Lilith will be the first to get a mod.
-Lilith looks like she casted something similar to ME's Biotic barrier. She pulls her arms away from her body after it has taken full effect. She wields no guns. Looks like she can fight without them. Woo!
-Hard to tell what is skin and what isn't, but if I see this correctly, the game appears to be following classic female RPG armor rules - the more that is exposed, the more you are protected.
-Large junk metal pile (junkyard?).

-Giant ass saw thing is still there.
-Slight defenses on the ground. Probably couldn't hold out against three slimes.
-Someone thinks it's important, even though there are no/few materials on Pandora. We've never seen that thing in proper use, but we've seen it often. Must be significant.
-Wheel is spinning. It is occupied.
-No cuts in ground under it - it hasn't been used to mine. Maybe a shallow moat, but that's about it.
-Sun (not moon - it's a light source bright enough to cast clear shadows). Large (close?) and white. This could be useful for Day/Night Cycle discussion.

Last edited by pmainpri; May 31st, 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added L3V's breakdown.
pmainpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
gripss
Monsieur Mime

Default Re: pmain's frame by frame breakdown.

Dude the only thing i disagree with you about is the bandit i think he is just wearing some bright leather pants the 48 is the mine number because we all know there is a shiba load of mines on the planet. Another thing to notice is the Vast differences in the cities and habitat idk if lilith is in the gun shot or if its just another chick so i cant argue there also the digger looks like a bandit camp or some form of settlement i <3 exploding cacti with eyes
gripss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:22 PM   #3
MOB712

Someone make that little clip of gameplay into a gif NAAAAAOOOOO!!! lol

Nice breakdown pmainpri
MOB712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
pmainpri
Borderlands Focus Tester

Send a message via Skype™ to pmainpri

ya i dont know about the pants i'm just speculating. i love the differences in environment though.
pmainpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
SpookyMulder
Consultant Scientician

Send a message via ICQ to SpookyMulder Send a message via AIM to SpookyMulder

Very useful. A little obsessive, but no one is going to lose points for that here. : )

I disagree with the speculation of the bandit's mask bearing the logo. That just seems like part of a design to keep the mask from looking plain. There are additional lines around the cheeks and sides for one thing, which are not present in the logo. That rounded triangle shape also happens to follow some of the natural lines of the face, so I personally deem it coincidence until I see stronger evidence or more appearances of the logo in the world.

I Want To Believe - The Thread Is Out There
SpookyMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
DiBBs
Pitted. So Pitted.

obsessive? yes.
I on the other hand aren't as obsessed with borderlands as i was with BiA:HH
But Gearbox always makes great games.

Even though, I enjoyed that break down, kept me interested from beginning to end
DiBBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Niddhog
Robot Ninja Assassin

An excellent breakdown.

Where does it say the name of the shop?
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM   #8
L3VIATH4N
I failed the Turing test.

At the very top, as it is fading out.
L3VIATH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:51 PM   #9
hunter55647
Bounty Hunter

Send a message via AIM to hunter55647 Send a message via Yahoo to hunter55647

Likely a stupid question,but when did they change how Lilith looks ?
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:53 PM   #10
SpookyMulder
Consultant Scientician

Send a message via ICQ to SpookyMulder Send a message via AIM to SpookyMulder

The first we saw of it was in the new screens they released as part of the new art style reveal.

I Want To Believe - The Thread Is Out There
SpookyMulder is offline   Reply With Quote