The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Carltron
Game Designer

Thumbs up A Borderlands Flash Game

EDIT: GAME IS COMPLETE!!

GO GO GO! Newgrounds.com
DOWNLOAD THE GAME: http://cdn.mochiads.com/c/g/borderlands-tribute.zip

EDIT: Sorry guys bad news. GAME GOT CORRUPTED AND I CAN'T EDIT IT ANYMORE. I CAN "Edit" the game but i can't EXPORT/PUBLISH it. Flash just goes non-responsive and crashes with no error logs or debug info. I can't fix something like this... I think its data corruption.

Cross your fingers maybe it will suddenly start working....

But the versions on the internet still seem okay... make sure you play either the mochi-ads or Newgrounds versions as other sites may have outdated versions with many of the initial release bugs.

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey guys,

So I make flash games for fun so I was thinking since it doesn't come out for a month i'll make a little sidescrolling borderlands tribute. I already have a working prototype in place and am begining to add content and weapons (a sorry not a **** load of weapons i don't have procedural generation, I'm probably only gonna make like 20, :\ srry I'm only one guy). So while I'm doing this, I'll take some input from you guys in the early stages of the game.

So if you don't want to read the wall of text: I'm making a Borderlands Flash Game.

Keep in mind I only have a couple of weeks to make this... so Its gonna be brief.

**!!**
You can suggest weapons that you feel would be a great addition to the game. Try to keep it usable thou. Pictures and a little background really help me decide what the final weapon will look like.
Suggestions and input are appreciated. As this game is for the forum so you can all help make it.
EDIT: Game will be released before. Oct 8th. thread has pictures on pg. 2, 4, 8, and 10

Last edited by Carltron; October 19th, 2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: updates, bad news.
Carltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #2
GrayHood
Healers aren't needed FTL

Default Re: A Borderlands Flash Game

well good luck and welcome to the forums

credit for sig = oroboro
GrayHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Lewt
I'm a member

What program do you use?
My friends like creating those type of games.
Lewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #4
MMO_TalkBack
Gaming's not just a hobby

Send a message via Skype™ to MMO_TalkBack

Sounds good, I probably already would have done this but I've been really busy lately. I don't see how you'll have enough time to make it, but if you do make sure it isn't crappy. Your game would be like a demo and it could turn people off the game (Isn't it weird how people's brains work). No hard feelings Bro, didn't want to seem harsh. Good luck.
MMO_TalkBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #5
Carltron
Game Designer

Yeh i've got nothing better to do. Like i said its gonna be short but im making the this little demo as good as i can and its not gonna be crappily drawn.

I'll post some pictures wif my progress once i have something visual to report (everything right now is just coding as its just a prototype) so all of yall can check it out.

I use adobe flash, a simple program for animating stuff and making simple games. Most internet games are made with it.
Carltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #6
vinny d123
Breaking Bad

its gonna take awhile for it to even be decent. by the time its done, it will be past the 20th
"I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'd never see. I wanted to breathe smoke."- Fight Club
vinny d123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Mad Max
The Road Warrior!!!

sweet, thanks mate, and welcome to the forums.

When all that is left is one last chance, pray that we are still out there. We Will Come!!!

The Road Warriors.

Borderlands Addict
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #8
L3VIATH4N
I failed the Turing test.

The procedural generation might not be as hard as you think. Make a bunch of parts, e.g. barrles, recievers, stocks, then make them using different materials (shouldn't have to be more than a palette swap). Assign stats to each weapon part, based on what you think it would effect. For example, long barrel means greater accuracy, shot barrel means greater spread. Wood stock would reduce recoil and player speed, while an ultralight polymer stock would have a greater speed and more recoil. Allow some randomization with the stats so that two identical guns may not have the same stats.

When a gun is created, have it choose one part out of a database at random (e.g., one stock out of the 24 you made) and combine it with the other parts (which are also chosen randomly). Have the program read/get all of the stats and then derive the final stats from there.

Having the gun drawn on screen might be more difficult, though. Perhaps if you created connection points on every piece that would tell the game where to place it when it draws it. If this proves to be too complicated, you can just copy and paste the weapon parts together and then have the value randomization happen in-game.

Then again maybe you've thought of all of this and I'm just rambling because I want to feel like I'm doing something like this...

Anyway, good luck with the game. Be sure to keep us updated.
L3VIATH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #9
MarkedPariah
a sniper

Good luck with the game!
In my humble opinion you should add a pistol that shoots rockets just to show a possible gun that you could find in BL.
MarkedPariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Camoufrage
Madotsuki's Dreamcatcher

Good luck, hope it works, but I will be busy playing the real Borderlands.
Camoufrage is offline   Reply With Quote