The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands > Loot n' Car Chat [Closed]

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Ic3man36O

Default Weapon Type Vs. Class Type

First, apologies if this has been discussed. I wouldn't know exactly what to search for even if it was...

Anyway...

I was thinking of the loot system in Borderland and comparing it to the loot system in Too Human (after all, Randy said that's one of the things TH did right: The loot system).

In Too Human, depending on your class, the weapons that dropped were more likely to be tailored to the class that you're playing (ie. Berserkers saw more dual-weapons, Commandos saw more ranged weapons, etc.). Weapons still dropped that weren't class-specific, but the likelihood of a weapon tailored for that class increased.

So, since Borderlands has a class system also, and certain classes supposedly have an "innate" weapon/skill specialty, do you think the same class-tailored loot system would also be used in Borderlands? (ie. Mord would find 'more' snipers/revolvers, Brick would find 'more' explosive weapons, etc.). I would think this would apply to specific class mods also.

This is to assume that you're playing single-player, or 4-player coop with 4 of the same characters (4 Liliths, for example). Additionally, if you think this is a feasible loot-drop method, do you think it would apply proportionally to coop class variations: For instance, if there were 2 Mord characters, 1 Roland, and 1 Brick, do you think there would be a higher likelihood of snipers/revolvers or Mord class mods to drop?

...it's just a theory.

Apologies for the wall of text. This was just a tidbit I was thinking about, and thought it might be interesting discussion material. Feel free to discuss the possibilities or noobiness of my post...

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #2
trollnest
MAINSTREAM'D

Default Re: Weapon Type Vs. Class Type

just as long as its not diablo, where it seems like everything your class CANT USE drops.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Wipa
Is.

I think if this were the case it would spoil some of the fun.

Even if im playing as Mordecai, and i find a "Super Awesome Bacon-Flavoured Rocket Launcher", i'll still get the feeling of 'Oh! Cool'.

Plus you wouldn't feel like you were experiencing the full game, as it would be different depending on which class you choose to play.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
nailhead04
dirtmouth

and its confirmed you can trade with yourself to lower leveled characters you have so it should be fine if you find stuff your class isn't just right for. But every class can use any guns so it really doesn't matter.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
xMRBON3Zx
killing religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipa View Post
Even if im playing as Mordecai, and i find a "Super Awesome Bacon-Flavoured Rocket Launcher", i'll still get the feeling of 'Oh! Cool'.
NIIIIIIIIIICEEEEE!

Bacon flavoured is always the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Brooks View Post
When you're fighting for your life, it may be simply too easy to flip the switch to "rock-and-roll" - Discussion on automatic weapons
Interviewer: So Brick, What do you do when your hands hurt?
Brick: I put some more face on them.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
ixidor

Since a lot of skills apply to all weapons, eventually I want a toon with maxed proficiencies with all types of weapons and only finding amazing snipers and pistols as Mord would blow.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #7
zombieturtle01

Speaking of weapons to class types, doesn't Lilith have more chemical/elemental damage weapons like ones that use electricity or acid?
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #8
TheMaster
banned

Yes, Lilith's weapon specialties are guns with Corrosive, Shock and Incendiary rounds.
Brick's preferred is explosive.

Mordecai and Roland actually have specific weapon specialties unlike Lilith and Brick.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #9
PC1728

I hope it doesn't, even though I'd love to be getting a wide selection of rocket launchers as Brick, I'd rather be "omg, a rocket launcher!!!" as opposed to "oh look, wonder what the 36th rocket launcher I've found does"
If you catch my drift, sure I'll be "ooo a new gun" regardless, but it'd kinda dampen the joy of getting them with a nonbiased system and make different play throughs a bit less varied.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #10
DystopiaX
Forum Ninja

i doubt it, since the devs have emphasized so much that you can use ANY type of gun, not just your character's specialty, that they would go ahead and make it really difficult for you to do so.
and Roland+cauterize+rocket launcher=ultimate support win.

message me if you want a lockerz invite.