The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Dieselbob

Default PS3 Friends list issues

Not sure why but there are several posts and none of them in here sadly about issues with PS3 friends lists and private games.

The issue I and it seems many others are having is that active online friends who are already in the borderlands main menu screen are not showing up on the friends list for invite. In fact for both my friends and I, none of our friends show up at all online, offline, other game, etc.. the list is completely blank. We all took turns hosting a private game and tried all going into the lobby screen but still none of us show up on any of our lists. I even have my PS3 setup as DMZ for my router so the only firewall for the PS3 is the one it has itself and my one friend is directly connected to his modem so it doesnt seem to be a network security thing.

We all played resistance 2, sacred 2, and several other multiplayer games hosting various private games and at this point Borderlands is the only one we can not currently host. Also when first connecting to each other in a publicly hosted game my ear piece had severe audio output lag but my friend had none until about 5 minutes into the game. Mine had finally sync'd up and it was fine the rest of the time even with random players dropping in and out for the public game. We all use comcast isp in case that might be an issue with this because the public game list is almost unbearably laggy to scroll down.

If you need more info let me know and Ill find out what I can to help resolve the friend list issue as quickly as possible because FFA game I would really prefer to host private games especially at end game for relic drops.

NEW INFORMATION!!!!!

I have found that it seems to be based off where some of my characters are in plot missions. I was defaulted to a level 1 character and it would not show any of my friends but I switched to my level 11 soldier who was 1 step past my friend and his game suddenly showed up on the public games after I did.

Last edited by ennui; October 21st, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added new found info
Dieselbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Lord Maim

Default Re: PS3 Friends list issues

Same issue as above, but with an additional wrinkle. Only 8 friends are being displayed on the list, 4 of which are no longer on my friends list.

Why are they showing up here if I've deleted them from my friends list?
Lord Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Dieselbob

To me it seems like the game is connecting to some old playstation social servers or some sort of back up server because I wonder if they tested this since Sony updated the PS3 software that made changes to the friend list functions.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
vatoloco
Lead Programmer

Dieselbob - What happens if both you and your friend (who are both PSN friends correct?) get online after restarting the game? Do you see each other in your friends lists?
vatoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Dieselbob

nope we tried... I tried exiting and entering 2 or 3 times and we never show up.

At first I thought maybe its just a delay in the list updating because public game list is so incredibly laggy, my logic was that perhaps the friends list is also having the same issue where so many people are on at the same time it can not update everyones friends list properly if that makes any sense. I do not know how you even program such a thing to read if its a server issue or if it first reads the system itself or how it pulls the info but it almost seems like it might be a latency issue and not so much buggy code.

Last edited by Dieselbob; October 20th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Kosh

I restarted the game and still no friends in the friends list. Also, when I host a game either private or public, when I pause and go to Invite Friends it shows under stats Offline, Microphone enabled: No, and Joinable: No. How do you change those settings. I want mics and joinable enabled. WTF?!?
Kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Dieselbob

Sorry for double post but forgot to add that yes we are PSN friends and we both show up on the PSN list as online and playing borderlands but we do not show up on any of the in game lists.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #8
ReVoLuTionArY_11

I'm having the exact same problems.... plz fix
ReVoLuTionArY_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Masenura

Exclamation Re: PS3 Friends list issues

My friend and I are also having the exact same problem.

We are both on Verizon FIOS 20/5 connections, and are unable to see each other on any list (friends, public, or private).

This is the only game were we have an issue connecting with each other. We've both restarted the console completely, exited the game repeatedly, tried from main menu, and combinations of public & private.

We have also tried manually signing out/in to our PSN profiles.
Masenura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #10
VaTifosi

Same problem here, but I though game launching through Home might be a word around. It wasn't....
Come on Gearbox, you are better than this. At least tell us you are working on the solution.