The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #61
Joey

Default Re: General Protection Fault problem

I was able to fix the "General Protection Fault" error on my computer by verifying the integrity of game cache files in steam. I'm running a Core2Duo CPU on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Hope this helps.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #62
StrifeZ3r0

Come on devs recreate the problem on a machine like ours and figure it out. Isn't that what they'er supoused to do? Can we have an update atleast please? We already know that it's being "investigated" but how about a real answer?
StrifeZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #63
Auly

I wanted to share this if you are experiencing an issue with dinput8.dll in your general protection fault problem it could be Any input device. I found that Borderlands hates my mouse regardless of driver. I got a new one(mouse ) that uses the same driver even. (Microsoft widewinder to sidewinder x8(new)). This corrected the issue but if I plug the old mouse back it I get it again. Just wanted to share another possible fix.

Also was able to get help calling 2k games.
The number can be found here: http://www.2kgames.com/index.php?p=support

Last edited by Auly; October 29th, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Auly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #64
p_low

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue but here it is

These are the Details

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Borderlands.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ab92d4f
Fault Module Name: Borderlands.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ab92d4f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 006ad52a
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5dab
Additional Information 2: b77684d37ec78b741287ccda244861a8
Additional Information 3: 269a
Additional Information 4: c671811075b8ae1aa7db811684901804

This is what happens when I first launch.

General protection fault!

History: GetOutermost() Address = 0xaad52a (filename not found) [in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries\ Borderlands.exe]
G Thread::OnExit() Address = 0x13a27d5 (filename not found) [in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries\ Borderlands.exe]
RtlTimeToTimeFields() Address = 0x7743a58b (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll]
HeapFree() Address = 0x76a53f01 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSXS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada\MSVCR90. dll]
Address = 0x453a14 (filename not found) [in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapss\common\borderlands\Binaries\ Borderlands.exe]
GThread::OnExit() Address = 0x13a3dad (filename not found) [in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries\ Borderlands.exe]

Also

I try to close again and This happens

Runtime Error!

Program: c:\program files (x86)\...

R6025
- pure virtual function call

To fix this issue what I ended up doing was deleting borderlands in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands
and My Computer,under Documents you'll find my games Borderlands, and you see Binaries,Save Data, and WillowGame I deleted all of these ran Registry Mechanic,Auslogics Disc Defrag, and Deleted and reinstalled Physx and DirectX.After reinstalling the game once more for the 4th time it works. So theres your solution for anyone who may have this problem I believe it had to do with Physx let me know if this fixes any issues you guys are having.
p_low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #65
Votefail

Ok, i waste $50 on the game i try to post and it doesnt allow me to put in attachments so I can actually post the error and possibly fix the problem. Also the devs arent even posting feed back in here so we have no idea if we should get refunds or wait it out until a new patch or some way to fix the problem comes out.

Last edited by Votefail; October 29th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Votefail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #66
Mountain Man

It is currently listed as being investigated. I assume if they can't fix it then they'll either tell us outright, or it will simply disappear from the "known issues" thread without a word. At that point it would probably be prudent to seek a refund. Until then, all you can do is be patient. It sucks, I know, but our options are very limited.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #67
StrifeZ3r0

@ Votefail, if you use ctrl+c you copy it and paste it on here or a notepad.

This game is great....on the ps3 or xbox360 i've had no problem. I've tryed it on those systems. I just want to play on my pc since I like the keybored and mouse combo better. Hope there's a fix soon and not a waste of $50. I can understand it can take awhile up to a week atleast to get some of the bugs fixed. I've been in alot of betas Campions online was my last one I was on and they did a good job with the bugs before there launch date. I had pre-orderd it and hoped to get into beta early but, because of bugs i couldn't play for a week or more. I know it's not easy and it's something that can't be fixed in a day I wish it was that easy. The waiting sucks...... Hopfully in the end though we will all be playing and everyone will be happy.

These are the errors I get and I used the Crtl+c thing to copy them. You can also screen shot it but, thats alot more time then just ctrl+c it.

---------------------------
General protection fault!

History: nvtt::OutputOptions::setOutputHeader() Address = 0x395f2ea (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries\nvtt.dll]

Address = 0x395142e (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries\nvtt.dll]

nvtt::Compressor::estimateSize() Address = 0x395366d (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries\nvtt.dll]

nvtt::Compressor::estimateSize() Address = 0x3952ec6 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries\nvtt.dll]

nvtt::Compressor::estimateSize() Address = 0x3952a85 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\Binaries\nvtt.dll]

OK

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\2K ...

R6025

- pure virtual function call

OK

Borderlands.exe - Application Error
The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x01187f58.

Click on OK to terminate the program
OK

Last edited by StrifeZ3r0; October 29th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #68
Xypherspiral

what are your computer specs?
i think that helped the devs too, dont know why most of users forget to post it
Xypherspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #69
StrifeZ3r0

I already did multiple times on the borads. Everyone that is having the problem as well should though. Post your DXdiag for the devs so they can get more info on everyones mobos and pin point the problem faster. As far as I can see the file i'm having a problem with is the nvtt.dll file. I havn't even gotten past that to see if there will be any other crashes or bugs.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #70
cordo

Everyone experiencing the General Protection Fault that the op mentioned (setOutputHeader() ... file name not found nvtt.dll ) are all running Athlon XP processors. No need to post any more system specs. It seems pretty clear that the error is related to SSE2 instructions in the nvtt.dll binary. It should be possible for someone to create a homebrew patch to hack in different instructions instead of the SSE2 ones. Of course an official patch would be better!

Perhaps we should create new sub topics for every different GPF error as there currently seems to be at least 3-4 different ones.

Last edited by cordo; October 29th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
cordo is offline   Reply With Quote