The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Technical Support > Borderlands Technical Support > BL PC and Mac Technical Support

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
LODE

Default Black screen on launch; dual monitor; audio ok; no video

Game install via Steam went without a problem.
UAC disabled
Nvidia Control 3D Optimise for Single Monitor performance set (this setting does not change behavior regardless of setting)

NVIDIA 8800 GTX , 191.07 drivers
Win7 x64 (ultimate) RTM, very clean install, latest drivers, no issues.
Dual monitor setup (viewsonic 28" primary, 22 secondary)

What happens:
Launch game
Both monitors 'blink'
Secondary monitor resizes the wallpaper to what looks like 1024x768
Primary monitor goes black, graphics/video never appears
Audio for startup/intro plays per normal

Anyone else having this problem on a dual monitor setup? Nvidia specific?
Any help appreciated!
-lode
LODE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
KSib
First Access Club Member

Default Re: Black screen on launch; dual monitor; audio ok; no video

You wouldn't happen to be running XFire would you?
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #3
LODE

A little more digging, but no real help yet:

Unplugging the second monitor, as expected, was able to get the game to draw when launched.
When both monitors are hooked up confirmed:
- Monitor 1 identification is the Primary monitor
- Switching Monitor 2/1 between primary/extended monitor did not change behavior.

This i am guessing has to be a game driver support issue, perhaps with WDDM, perhaps not.

KSib: Xfire? Good lord no, that 'software' will not ever see my gaming PC's. Ever.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #4
LODE

Is anyone else running this in Windows 7, NVIDIA GPU/drivers, with multiple-monitors successfully?
If so I'd be greatful if we could private message a bit to compare nvidia/OS settings.
Thanks very much.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
TehJumpingJawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODE View Post
Is anyone else running this in Windows 7, NVIDIA GPU/drivers, with multiple-monitors successfully?
If so I'd be greatful if we could private message a bit to compare nvidia/OS settings.
Thanks very much.
hmm,
I have multiple monitors (3), and an 8800 GTX (actually, 2), and I do have a Windows 7 installation (release candidate), but I'm not using it atm - still can't detach myself from XP - so have not bothered to install borderlands in 7.

Sorry ^_^
TehJumpingJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM   #6
uwai

I had a similar problem except it would always tab out of the game, but I got it fixed pretty easily.

Here's what I did:

I disabled the second monitor per windows, started up blands and set the screen resolution to my native desktop resolution. After this, I exited blands again, enabled the second monitor and voilá: No more blinking and tabbing out when starting borderlands.
uwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

You can also try running in windowed mode (Alt+Enter after launching the game) and/or adjusting your resolution; your video card or drivers may be having trouble with the current resolution setting.

You can do this through the in-game video options (although you may need to navigate the menu blind to do this), or if you cannot access the in-game menu, you can set the resolution manually in the WillowEngine.ini file located in \My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\.

Make sure that Borderlands is not running before editing the file, or the game will overwrite your changes. Inside the .ini file, locate the section labeled [SystemSettings] and change the ResX and ResY settings to the desired resolution. For example, for 1280x720 resolution, you would set ResX=1280 ResY=720. Borderlands should run at the specified resolution the next time you launch the game.

You can also enable windowed mode in WillowEngine.ini by changing Fullscreen=True under [SystemSettings] to Fullscreen=False.

I recommend setting the resolution to the same as your desktop resolution to start, then try a few other standard resolutions if that does not work (i.e. 1920x1080, 1280x720, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480).
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote