The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Siyfion

Default (PS3) Multiplayer will not connect

I know, I know, ports, but nope! My PS3 is in my router's DMZ *and* I even tried forwarding the ports specifically and it keeps saying "Could not connect to host" no matter what.

The PS3's network test say's that UPnP is enabled and it's Nat Type 2.

I'm all out of idea's.
Siyfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
iburnpine

Default Re: (PS3) Multiplayer will not connect

What type of router are you using? Does it have the latest firmware? Are you directly connected to your router via CAT5 cable or are you using wireless? What type of game are you trying to join? Private or Public? Can you host a game and invite a friend into it?

FWIW, I don't have my PS3 acting as the DMZ host and never will. I use a Linksys WRT54G router with the latest firmware and I can host and connect to my friends without any issues at all. I've never had an issue connecting to them either. Perhaps I'm lucky but it's true.

Good luck....
iburnpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Siyfion

On those points:

The router is a Netgear DG834G running the latest official firmware (I checked yesterday).

It's connected to the PS3 via Cat5 cable, so no wireless is involved.

I'm trying to host a private game and my friend can't join, but it's the same vice-versa. I also can't connect to quite a lot of the Public games (50%~ of them).
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
ediddy999
Hwnd

I had to turn the firewall off on my router to get it to connect. Not sure this will work for you but it's worth a shot.
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
enygma500

Also try signing in with a different user name and see if it works. for some people this seems to be a solution to connecting to private games.

As for having to turn your firewall off completely, you shouldn't have too. Go back through it and recheck your settings. Something is wrong with them. I only say this because it obviously works when you turn the firewall off.

Mine works perfectly and here's my settings:

Telus extreme connection 6meg dl .9 meg ul
2 wire modem/router combo-Firewall is OFF, wireless radio is OFF, hooked to a seperate router
linksys wrt54g(I think that's the model?) router. Proper ports are opened, UPNP is ENABLED. All connections are wired

TCP:

UDP:

* 3658 should also be opened for voice chat.

These are the ports I have opened.

Should note that for some people that a simple reset on the MODEM will work. Some modems get switched into a bridge mode if they get reset and then not tampered with after that.

Also I have the firewall in my modem off as the router is there before everything else in my network. seems a little redundent to have 2 firewalls. It's also my understanding that haveing both active can cause you to go to NAT 3 and cauuse other problems.

Last edited by enygma500; November 7th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
enygma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Siyfion

Tried everything now; even tried swapping my routers from my Netgear to a Thompson Speedtouch 585v7 that I had lying around.

Weirdly we did manage to join ONE game together, but after that and since then we keep on getting the "Could not connect to host" message. If he hosts I get it when I join, and if I host he gets it when he joins.

It's useless; for a game that focuses so heavily on Co-Op it really should be easier to get working than this! Or at least give slightly more technical/helpful error messages. I know there is a connection between his PS3 and mine because he gets the invite! And I know it *does* work because it did, only just the once.