100 Ways to Survive Solo PvP

I really enjoyed reading through the similar thread for Borderlands 2 and thought it would be cool to have one over here for Battleborn also.
If there is anything you guys would like to see included or removed go ahead and let me know. Hopefully this could be an easy read through for new players to understand some easily overlooked tips.

Specific character advice starts at 50.

Thank you to everyone who pitched in! Please if there is something that should be tossed out, rearranged, or added in, let me know.

1. Don’t Solo Queue (I kid but its dangerous out there, Have fun Badass)

2. Be respectful. You never know who you are playing with.

3. Teleport back to base when low on health. (Hold down on the D-pad, Ps4-xbone. Hold B on Pc. Should take 5 seconds if you are not interrupted.)

4. Don’t feed the enemy Exp. (Rapid deaths in the beginning minutes is the easiest way to get out-leveled.)

5. Get a basic idea of your character in PvE before transitioning to PvP.

6. Don’t overextend, stay within your role and with your team.

7. Team Comp - Healer, Tank, Assassin, Pusher,etc. - try to balance your team out at character select.

8. Shards. Gather them during lulls in battle or bring a shard generator.

9. Don’t leave your team to fight alone.(see #27)

10. Big Shards first spawn at 28:00 (Incursion).

11. Use the environment and buildables to your advantage.

12. Protect your place-able skills! (Hide sunspots, Eggs, etc behind walls or out of sight)

13. Keep those buildables up. (wrenches are very helpful for a solo loadout)

14. Use the Ping to tell your team who you would like to focus. (Battleborn, thrall, objectives alike)

15. Don’t overuse the Ping.

16. Protect your minions. Sometimes killing minions isn’t enough. Get your Tank out in front of your minions and absorb some damage.

17. Don’t be Rambo. One vs Two or more is always a dangerous fight.

18. Try to keep track of your opponents skills.

19. Try to keep track of your opponents level.

20. Learn the various counters to Battleborn and their skills.

21. Gear - Choose carefully. Pay attention to cost and negative stats and synergy with your character.

22. Gear - Some are meant for early game boosts and some are meant for late game advantages.

23. Protect your healer! They will keep you alive easier if they aren’t being swatted around.

24. Healers- make sure you heal. You dont have to pocket heal anyone but you should be getting assists on most kills.

25. Wave Clear- learn how to kill minions as efficiently as possible. Minions are priority.

26. Learn to kill as many enemies as you can while avoiding dying yourself as much as possible. That’s the best support you will provide to your team on any pvp battle.- RayLightning

27. Some battleborn AREN’T meant to teamfight, and you are safer doing your role, whatever it might be.-ninjaneb01

28. Objectives win matches. K/D/A aren’t everything - Vegan_Cookies5

29. Don’t get frustrated, stuff happens. You will be on all sides of a stomping/surrendering/a player leaving. Once a match is over, learn, get better, move onto the next. - Vegan_Cookies5

30. All characters are OP in the right hands/right situation. Knowing how to get yourself in those situations is a skill on its own. - Vegan_Cookies5

31. If everyone votes at stage select the timer will skip to 0 and the winning selection will be picked.

32. Health regen gear, health regen gear, health regen gear -Triazic (Because if you ain’t dead it’ll keep you that way. )

33. Area awareness is essential. When possible, use the mini-map (not the radar). Learn the maps and the access points to take advantage of and prevent flanking.- n1h1l1stb0t

34. Be aware of opponents items and how it will affect their play style.- Vegan_Cookies5

35. Know what gear to use for your character and decide if you want to buff their strengths, workaround their weaknesses, or have a mix of both.- lolattheseforums

36. Wear matching skin color combinations. +5 Friendship points.

37. Communication is a two-way street, barking orders but not listening only hurts the team. - Tokesy97

38. If a minion plants to hit your sentry quick melee it to prevent it from latching on then kill it.- Danglez420

39. Shock turrets are your best friend. - Danglez420 (so much XP!)

40. Quick melee can save you from sustained melee. Certain characters have unique quick melee abilities. Practice them!

41. Elite minions are far more powerful in early game. Bring a 0 cost shard and wrench, then grabbing all of your side’s shards to dump into a bot is an excellent early game play. Buying it at right about the end of the first minute means it’ll hit lane at 28:00, and help give you lane control for the first crystal spawn.- Vagrantsun

42. If your first sentry goes down, it automatically destroys all of your buildables in the area. Don’t waste shards buying them if you’re certain the sentry’s about to drop. - Vagrantsun

43. Late game, it’s often more efficient to buy the first level of a turret and save shards for another once your enemy destroys it. Any concentrated attention can destroy your turrets, and you don’t need the experience as much anymore - denying your opponents the chance to use them is more valuable, and you can rebuy them much easier if you aren’t dropping an additional 700 shards a pop. - Vagrantsun

44. It’s worth remembering which characters can easily take double thrall. ISIC, Montana, Deande, Galilea, Marquis, Thorn, Attikus, and Toby (w/ double stun) can all take the thralls with a minimum of discomfort and time. For everyone else, it’s often not worth the danger and time investment to capture that point. By the same token, the more of those characters you see on the other team, the less effective your double thrall push will be because the enemy team will shred them more easily. If the enemy team is full of AoE characters, I.E. Ernest / KU / Benedict, then they’ll have a great deal of trouble stopping it in time. - Vagrantsun

45. Characters that have poor waveclear should remember that a purchased elite bot can clear a wave solo easily for the cost of 600 shards, a valuable thing to remember on Meltdown. - Vagrantsun

46. Gear that relies on other people is unreliable in solo queue. This means Healing recieved, Shield Pen, and CC reduction, because that depends on team loadouts you don’t have any say in at all. - Vagrantsun

47. If you’re solo queueing as support, play like a coward. You’re squishy and have no guarantee your teammates will try to save you if a Pheobe or Galilea attempts to murder you. Be cautious. - Vagrantsun

48. Yes, MX Elite bots and Shepherd bots can be healed by healers. No Thralls can not be healed.

49. Incursion order of importance (Kill these first) - Shepard bots, Thralls, MX Elite Bots, Minion bots, Battleborn.

50. You can sprint while healing as Miko. Biosynthesis can also be activated while healing.

51. Push with your Minions. Time Thralls/Elite Bots with Shepard waves.

52. Watch Benedict’s rockets. His regular rockets travel in a straightline. If you are hit by bright blue (Hawkeye) rockets get close behind cover as the next few rockets will trace you. His rockets can also be shot down.

53. Right off the bat, recognize if Galilea chose pull. Her pull will cancel most skills and knock you out of position. Stay out of her radius and you’ll be alright… Probably!

54. Legendary gear does not automatically mean it’s the best possible gear. Too many legendaries can starve your team of shards/buildables. - AncientBelgareth

55. Never take a characters legendary gear piece on anyone but that specific character. It has no benefit over a purple gear piece of the same type. - AncientBelgareth

56. Only the final hit on Thralls generates XP. The first player to stand on the pad is the only player to gain XP.

57. The more friendly players standing on a Thrall pad, the faster the pad will be captured. Enemies standing on the pad will pause the capture.

58. Kelvin’s sublimate can be stopped by clicking the skill button a second time. (Same with El Dragon’s clothesline, S&A’s stealth strike, etc)

59. Jump, jump, jump around. Agile characters like Mellka, Deande, and Thorn are incredibly difficult to hit while moving. Learn to jump, aim, and attack at the same time.

60. Hey! Listen! All battleborn have unique callouts when using their Ultimate. Keep an ear out for dangerous situations.

61. Tanks - When you see a teammate trying to escape with low health, quickly get in front to protect them from some damage and even intercept enemies from advancing (if your health is high enough) - RayLighting

62. You can get small but very quick exp during capture when standing on top of one of the points YOU ALREADY CAPTURED. - Jaden374

63. Controller remapping. Changing your controller to a Bumper Jumper setup will allow you to aim and jump without having to take your thumbs off of the sticks.

64. Rath’s ultimate can be stopped by hitting the Ultimate button again. Sometimes you need to kill and run before the Ult. Is complete.

65. Find the different shard routes to take in the beginning and maximize your first run to battle.

66. Supports - Use your Tanks for cover. Miko can easily fit behind a Montana and supply heals while avoiding damage.

67. S&A has extra damage reduction applied to their shield. Stacking extra shield can be beneficial.

68. Kid Ultra’s AoE drones can buff Minion waves also.

69. Attack speed buffs will increase the firing rate of chargeable attacks (Issac, Toby, etc.). Stacking this while standing in Ernest’s egg can be terrifying. Plan accordingly at character select.

70. Gear loadout can be renamed in the command menu. Acknowledging negative effects or specific character loadouts in the title can save you a tremendous headache.

71. While capturing Thralls - Begin teleporting back to base with a little more than half the circle filled. You will teleport back right around the time the thralls spawn, saving a few precious seconds.

72. Issac’s wards can reflect Thrall grenades and one shot them if timed correctly.

73. Montana can stun both Thralls with one dash. With his penetrating bullets he can crit and kill both at the same time.

74. Buying the next stage of a damaged buildable will return the buildable to full health.

75. Not everyone’s quick melee is considered equal. Some do more damage than others (Whiskey) some are faster than others (Miko) and some are incredibly difficult to use. (Kleese)

76. Test out your skills in the spawn room before the match starts. Recognize whether they activate on the first or second press.

77. Double thralls chuck a massive grenade. Don’t attempt to take them with low health. Be wary.

78. When on mic - Don’t use pronouns when communicating. Instead say the name of the Battleborn. “Miko, heal Montana please” is much better than saying “Miko, heal me”. This is much less confusing when players do not personally know your voice.

79. Capture - Don’t engage with Battleborn unless you are certain of victory. It’s often beneficial to avoid fights and run to an open pad. Think of this as a game of cat and mouse.

80. Face-off - Same thing as above ^. Dieing in Face-off means handing the enemy team half of your held masks and an easy deposit.

81. In any mode, getting an enemy player to chase you can relieve some stress from teammates and open avenues of attack. Learn to bait, run, and survive when outgunned.

82. Toby - Try to always have a back up shield ready to deploy.

83. Marquis’ owls can reveal through walls.

84. Accuracy increase makes your targeting reticle smaller, meaning your projectiles will be concentrated closer to where you are aiming.

85. If you get stuck in matchmaking back out and re-queue. Oftentimes you jump right into a team.

86. Use accelerators. The faster your Minions get to Mid-Field, the better chance you have of controlling the area. (Monuments specifically)

87. Aim for criticals whenever possible.

88. CC stands for crowd control (stuns, slows etc.)

89. AOE stands for area of effect(blight field, napalm, etc)

90. DOT stands for damage over time (bleed, venom, etc)

91. Buying a shock turret at level 1 will bring you a third of the way to level 2.

92. Alani - When healing yourself, aim at the ground or the sky. Accidentally targeting minions will waste your osmosis stacks.

93. Attikus - Life steal is his life line. He must be doing damage to survive.

94. Ernest - Bounce his grenades around corners to avoid fire while obliterating the enemy. Explosions!!!

95. Boldur is meant to take damage. Keep his shield up and stay on the front line. (Damage reduction and health regen is recommended)

96. Ambra/orendi level one - check if the enemy team has stealth characters. Choose the reveal accordingly.

97. Toby - Using his booster will reset the booster that is charging.

98. Caldarius can not activate his Ult. while under a ceiling.

99. Issac has a handheld shield also. Don’t forget about it. Activate wards when his shield is down. Hold up the handheld shield once the wards are destroyed.

100. Be excellent to each other, Party on dudes!

12 Likes

With the winter update coming soon it should help with team comp as you will be able to back out of a character choice, pretty frustrating when you choose a tank right when someone else does and you don’t have a healer.

2 Likes

I only have one.

Learn to kill as many enemies (this includes players, minions, thralls etc) as you can while avoiding dying as much as possible That’s the best support you will provide to your team on any pvp battle.

2 Likes

@BaconianOne I think that certain battleborn are best away from the team. Mainly Battleborn that are Assassins, as they often have a stealth ability And can move ahead of the team, since you have teleport and can do your ROLE. Staying with the team is the safest way to not die, but some battleborn are unable to function effectivly with the group. Like with Pendals, your job is to remove buildables and harass the enemy squishies or snippers. Or take Mellka, as She is only usefull when flanking the enemy. A 1v1 as Mellka will go horendously if you attack from the front, but if you are flying around them, they will be forced to flee. Even teamfights require the same strat, but are more dangerous because of your pendals level health pool, and the chance that the enemy team might spot you and take some shots.

TL;DR, Some battleborn AREN’T meant to teamfight, and you are safer doing your role, whatever it might be.
Edit replaced Comma with period

1 Like

True! That’s a great way to put it. I’ll add that in.

No problem. Its just as a Deande/S&A( Pre-Buff)/Melka main, I find that sometimes its better to start the teamfights than to stay with the group. So for reference I am a Assassin main, and start 1v1’s to pull the team up. Its an interesting play style, but works well ‘Most’ of the time. Mellka plays a bit differently, since that fragile stick needs to be near the team at all times, but gennerally I use the same idea, and try to push the team away. Also, Mellka is a beast in meltdown since getting into 1v1’s is the easiest thing ever(literally moving to other grinder if teamfight energes where you are,) whereas in Incursian teamplay is a must with flanking due to the main lane.
P.S.
(The New S&A buffs haven’t pushed me away from the character, I just started playing Mellka this month and fell in Love her.)

1 Like

Deande and Mellka are both so hard to hit and good at just overall confusion/disruption. It’s really fun to see them played well like that.

1 Like

Objectives win matches. K/D/A aren’t everything.

Don’t get frustrated, stuff happens. You will be on all sides of a stomping/surrendering/a player leaving. Once a match is over, learn, get better, move onto the next.

Be aware of opponents items and how it will affect their play style.

As for your 22, I respectfully disagree your advantage/disadvantage part. I would simply combine 21 and 22 into something like “Gear - Choose and understand it carefully. Pay attention to cost and negative stats and synergy with your character. Some items are meant for early game boosts, some are meant for late game advantages”

3 Likes

Cool I was hoping you’d pop in.

Yeah I wasn’t sure how to word the gear stuff. That makes morensense.

1 Like

I got one more:

All characters are OP in the right hands/right situation. Knowing how to get yourself in those situations is a skill on its own.

1 Like

Don’t forget a single melee minion can lose you the game.

Are you talking score in meltdown or the Ronin bots in face-off? Sorry I’m not quite picking up what you’re putting down.

@BaconianOne mention @hexhammer to get his attention

1 Like

I have three suggestions:

Health regen gear.
Health regen gear.
Health regen gear.

1 Like

I learned this from somewhere else, but have found it to be incredibly useful:

Area awareness is essential. When possible, use the mini-map (not the radar). Learn the maps and the access points to take advantage of and prevent flanking.

Further to that, learning strategic positions and how to transition from one to the next is also beneficial, I’ve found.

1 Like

I like that. Good one!

Uhhh, @BaconianOne , the main part of this thread is missing 32. Just letting you know :slight_smile:

Oops thanks, guess editing the post from my phone was a mistake! Haha

Know what gear to use for your character and decide if you want to buff their strengths, workaround their weaknesses, or have a mix of both.

1 Like

I always use the Radar tho. The mini-map is just too small. It’s hard to see all the things that are near you. At least on PC while playing on a 24" monitor. Radar is far more useful to me to track all those enemy Battleborns/Bots/Thralls in my area. And if you are a veteran player - you don’t need much more information than that. You just know what’s going on and where. :wink:
Mini-map just dumps all that information on you (with many empty areas).