[12/12/2019 Update] PC Issues and Discussion

Performance questions and feedback:

I’m glad to see that the inventory performance is better, but I still am having stuttering and performance issues with the game itself. I am wondering, is this the extent of performance patching this game will receive?

Here’s the deal. The game works mostly fine for me except when I load into a new zone. After loading in, the game will stutter and hitch like crazy for as long as 10-15 seconds while it presumably loads up textures or models or whatever it is loading.

After that hitching and stutter stops, the game works great for me. It’s that initial load in stutter that is most annoying. I was able to ignore it early on as the game is so fun and it only lasted like 10 seconds. But as you play more and do more traveling zone to zone for farming, it keeps hitting you in the face, every time you transition.

My computer is above the minimum specs. I have tried virtually every setting combination imaginable. The only one that has any effect at all is texture streaming. Putting it on low reduces it a bit, but does not eliminate this loading stutter. I also have the game installed on my fastest hard drive (not SSD however).

Oddly enough I could run the game on much higher settings and still get good performance. I have experimented and found that once that load stutter is done, I could run around on mid to high settings and still get mostly 60fps. But putting the settings higher makes the load in stutter much worse.

So I am forced to compromise with the lowest settings, and still it stutters and hitches like crazy on zone transitions.

Is this something that can ever be fixed? It’s ruining the game experience for me.

I’m trying to be constructive in this feedback, not complaining or attacking anyone. Kindly pointing out exactly what performance issues I am facing, and wondering if they will ever be fixed.

specs:

i5-3570k, 16gb RAm, GTX 970, Windows 7 64bit

Yes, my cpu is the minimum spec. This kind of loading stutter is not related to that though. It goes away after it loads everything, and as I said, I can actually play on mid to high settings and still get 60fps in most areas.

It’s that first 10-15 seconds after a zone transition that is the problem. Why does the game load into a zone before it’s loaded all the data? I’d be happy with a longer load time if it reduced this problem.

Will it ever be fixed?

I get that initial pause as well but only once after starting the game and it can last up to 30s. I have an i5-6600k, 32GB ram and a 970. I’m wondering if it’s related to the 970 and its 3.5+.5 GB memory split and Windows doing something in the background. Once the initial pause happens it won’t happen again until I restart the game.

1 Like

Interesting. Yes, I should point out the problem reduces as I play longer. When I first load the game up it’s awful.

But it never fully goes away. If I’m like transitioning zones a lot, like farming, I will always get some level of stuttering and hitching on first entering new zones.

But I agree, it’s worse when I first load the game for the day. And gets slightly better over the course of a playing session.

I’m not sure if it’s the GTX 970 memory thing, as I have monitored my GPU with GPU-Z while playing, and the game rarely uses more than 3gb of VRAM, for me. (again, I play it on the lowest settings possible)

When I have complained about performance, it’s this zone transition stuttering that has been my biggest problem, and the thing I hoped most to see get fixed, ultimately. Otherwise I am very happy with the game performance and fixes that have been implemented. Very happy.

I’m mainly wondering as to why you think the CPU isn’t a factor? There’s nothing that says the CPU can’t be the bottleneck when loading into a new area, even if the loading screen (whatever that hides underneath it) has done its job?

I have the same CPU, and a moderately stronger GPU (1070). I have okay RAM (DDR3 unfortunately). My guess is for whatever technical reason (and there will be a reason), that the CPU is the bottleneck for this particular performance issue.

Don’t get me wrong - if it can be improved, I’d like it to be. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we share the exact CPU model (down to the K), but I have a GPU that’s a whole generation newer and am still encountering the issue.

@Noelle_GBX - bit cheeky of me, but is there likely to be an update to Zane’s CoV / Barrier woes today?

Ok yes, it could be the CPU bottlenecking on loading. I agree. I shouldn’t have put it like that.

What I was trying to say was that my CPU allows me to play the game on even higher settings than I do, and still get 60fps, once all data is loaded. So I felt like my system was more than enough to run the game.

Also, I have watched my CPU usage while this stuttering was going on, and it has never gone to full 100% usage. In fact this game almost never pushes my CPU to 100% usage.

My beef is, if the game has a minimum spec, and you run at the lowest settings, on that minimum spec, it should probably be playable on that spec, without these issues.

I’m sure it’s the texture streaming. I said in another thread, I watched a video series on 3d engines once where the host spoke about texture streaming at length. How it’s meant to help performance but often hinders performance.

Because rather than just locking in at whatever texture level the user has chosen, they use lower textures first (to improve loading times) and then “stream up” to the higher textures as you wander around. The video maker said this was counter productive to performance, because you were constantly streaming data. And that it was better to just lock in at one texture level, rather than variable texture levels.

I’d rather have longer loading times and no new zone transition stutter, if that is possible. I already kind of have that, as when I load into new zones, I just sit and wait for 30 seconds after I load in to avoid the stutter.

Okay so I went out and got a new m.2 ssd drive to see if it’ll help stop BL3 from crashing to the desktop.
Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 1909, Nivida Game Ready Driver 441.66(Latest driver available). Cpu and gpu are at stock. Only epic game store launcher and borderlands 3 installed on the m.2 drive. I can play borderlands 3 for anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes before a random crash to desktop. Sometimes it happens when my character is running, using a vending machine, standing still. Game has always been crashing for me since its release but not as frequent as it does now.

My system specs if that’ll help Gearbox troubleshoot it. Yes I submitted a ticket a while ago.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
Mobo:Z390 Aorus Xtreme
CPU: i9 9900K (stock)
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio (stock) with Nvidia Game Ready Driver 441.66
Ram: G.Skill F4-4000C17D-16GTRS
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 2TB/ Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB (New Drive)
PSU: Corsair AX1000 (2019 version)

Hello there,

I just created an account because I am VERY unhappy of this latest update.
My setup is as follows:

• Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with latest driver (436.51)
  • SSD disk

Before the update I was running the game in brutal mode, 3840x2160, and it was running @ 60 FPS without any framerate drop. Now it has difficulties to reach 30 FPS !!! This is incredible !

I played the game the day before and the day after the update. The only change is this update. I am certain this issue can’t come from my setup or anything else.

I changed my settings to use DirectX 12 as suggested, but it changed nothing.

I am very disappointed to see so poor performance with the hardware I am using. I hope this will be fixed soon, but in the meanwhile I am very disappointed of 2K, while previously I was a big fan of the Borderlands series.

Best regards,

Jerome

1 Like

I got i7-9700K, 16 GB RAM and RTX 2080. I could play 4K with ultra-high settings stable at 60 fps. However, after this patch, I only had 35 fps with the same settings. What is going on with this patch getting my experience worse…

1 Like

i am running i7-8700K and 1080Ti…
was 4K Ultra settings @ 60fps (100 FPS VSYNC’D)
now, average 35-40fps on same settings
almost 50% drop in FPS!
have tested both DX11 and DX12… no difference.

H E L L O G E A R B O X !!! LOL

I know this is going to be a PITA but please entertain the following.

• Run the benchmark with your current settings and note the results
  • Reset your settings to the lowest settings then rerun the benchmark and note the results.

If the results are close to being the same then we can assume that they did in deed bork the whole thing. But if they are vastly different then we may be able to assume that your performance regression may be related to few individual settings vs the whole thing being foobar’d. And if it is individual settings then you can turn the settings up one at a time until you find the one(s) that’s causing your performance regression, report it/them to GBX, and avoid it until they fix it/them.

Good luck.

@sKorpion

2 Likes

UPDATE:

have played 3840x2160 ULTRA with 80-100fps since starting game.
post patch can’t get 40fps on same settings…

seeing a 50% drop in fps at every resolution and all setings… brutal.

also, though my settings say
“capped at 60”
and “vsync on”

game always starts with frames unlocked.
no vsync and no cap

i have to toggle those settings off/on to get it working again.
it is then fine during play session, and broken again on restart.

issues that did not exist before patch

Is your display setting full screen?

It’s not your 970. I have a 2080 and the same issues. Plus many people with AMD Cards get no issues at all.

its an AMD sponsored title. its optimized for AMD. yall are getting what AMD users usually get with nevida optimized titles. not that this is any excuse to the poor performance, but that is why.

Who on earth would waste their money on an AMD video card!? This ain’t 2005…AMD just gave up and decided to be a generation behind literally ever NVIDIA release…

3 year old 1080ti’s are still spanking AMD. A while ago with the 9700 ATI leapfrogged Nvidia. Since then Nvidia has taken the lead. If you are trying to play anything in 4k on DX11 or 12 at least a 1080ti or a 2080 or 2080ti. Even with AMD moving to a 7mm die in their upcoming cards they still can’t beat the RTX 2080ti…they can’t even come close…so what happens when NVIDIA goes to 7mm dies? If your looking to play a game at 1080p then get an AMD…if you want to play in 4k on top settings you need an NVIDIA…

The new Xbox Series X (AMD Zen 2 / AMD RDNA GPU / 16GB GDDR6) will handle 4K at 60 - 120FPS and support Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), hardware-accelerated ray tracing and even have 8K capability. Of course this isn’t comparable with PC that can’t be optimized so well, but a 2080ti certainly can’t play anything in 4K at 60FPS, especially not in Ultra Quality.

From an economic standpoint it’s kind of important that people keep buying AMD cards because in the absence of competition companies don’t have any incentive to innovate. In other words, without the threat of AMD surpassing them Nvidia wouldn’t be as good as it is.

And in the case of AMD, without a market leader to catch up to and surpass their cards would be overpriced. One day AMD will leap frog Nvidia and when they do Nvidia will make the best cards at the lowest price in order to get back their lost market share.

5 Likes

hope it handles game in split screen lol.

1 Like

I have to disagree. If AMD aren’t offering a product that is competitive, then you SHOULDN’T buy it. AMD is doing well CPU wise because they brought a product that is COMPETITIVE. They didn’t bring any old trash. They tried that with their previous edition cpus (before Ryzen and Threadripper).

1 Like