21 interface issues (with lots of pictures)

Oh boy. It’s sad that each month this post gets longer.

1. Font inconsistency

You have a great font for headers, but the body text looks boring. The most generic font does not fit the game or the rest of the interface. It’s literally everywhere:

And don’t get me started on those terrible key prompts straight from consoles. It just doesn’t match anything. Pick one style and stick to it, or you end up with a mess like this:

The level next to my nickname is in styled font. Main tabs and headers also use this font. So does the 2/6 loadout counter.
But everything else: nickname, ingame money, secondary tabs, some hint about loadouts and gear descriptions - it all uses some generic font.

---
---
---
  1. Alignment inconsistency

Take a look at this:

Can you see it? When Gear is selected, the secondary tabs (Loadouts and Packs) are right below it. This is great! That’s how it should be!

Let’s click on Career:

Perfect! It moved right below the selected tab. Let’s forgive the not-so-centered alignment and how it uses the basic font.

The only thing left is to click on Marketplace:

Aweso—wait, what? For the love of Orendi, what happened here?

---
---
---
  1. Ordering inconsistency

The order of loot packs in Marketplace is different than when buying them directly from Gear menu.

This is Gear:

The ordering is perfect, which is made even more critical due to the fact that you can’t change it. I’d move the Eldrid pack to the bottom row, but it’s still great.

Now, the same menu in Marketplace:

It’s still an improvement over pre-Alani-patch version (which was a total mess), but the default ordering should be by type, not alphabetical. Now the two don’t match, and rarity-based packs are mixed with faction-based ones.

---
---
---
  1. Tiny buttons on high resolution screens

The buttons at the bottom of the screen look like an afterthought. Like “Okay, we need a button to apply changes! Allan, put there a text in the first sans-serif font you find and let’s call it a day.”

Take a look how it appears on a 2560x1440 monitor:

This screams for a large “OKAY BOSS” button the size of the brigher orange part.

Here’s a mockup in glorious MS Paint:

It’s hard to notice, but I also got rid of the [O] and [P] button hints at the top. I’m playing on W/A/S/D and using mouse, I can’t reach O/P comfortably, so why would I even need that?

Also, note that the avatar is displayed twice for some reason: at the top left corner and above the popup.

---
---
---
  1. Drag and drop in Gear menu

Drag and drop works when you try to drop something into loadout, but it doesn’t work the other way.

Basically, all of the Gear menu seems to favor controller input, with the mouse added as an afterthought. Please get someone unfamiliar with the game and observe how they’re trying to accomplish simple tasks with a mouse - it’s a great way to get raw user experience for improvements.

---
---
---
  1. Endgame screens displayed way too long

Ooh, you won. You like it, don’t you? Here. Look at it. LOOK AT IT.

The “Victory! Final score: xyz” text lingers for at least 10 seconds for no apparent reason. It’s totally not needed to see it for more than two seconds. I can’t speed it up or make it go away by clicking - I’m forced to stare at it for all of its duration. It’s probably loading something in the background, but why does it take so long?

---
---
---
  1. Confusing colors in Gear descriptions

I got a rare gear! Let’s take a look at its stats:

Wait, what could “Second Shield” mean? I don’t remember anything in the game calling “Overshield” a “Second Shield”.

Hmm… Maybe this could fix the confusion?

---

By the way, please don’t use abbreviations in descriptions if you’re not 100% sure the player knows what they mean. I have never played MOBAs and was not familiar with the term “CC”, so I had to minimize the game and search for it. There’s lots of space to fit “Crowd Control” there, so I don’t see why it isn’t written in full.

---
---
---

8. Missing icon for expanding chat history - fixed!

Hooray, the annoying pink rectangle was fixed in Alani update in May.

---
---
---
  1. Low quality minimap frame

I have set textures quality to very high, yet some parts of the interface are pixel fest.

Compare the selected part of the frame to the relatively hi-res texture on the gun’s display. The difference is clear.

I believe this is just the regular minimap frame being upscaled, but you could just include a separate file for the larger version and use it instead.

---
---
---
  1. Narrow name of leftmost pedestal’s player

This is how a character’s name is displayed on pedestals 2, 3, 4 and 5:

And this is pedestal 1:

It is visibly narrower. Same applies to player’s name (but I cut them out of screenshots).

---
---
---
  1. Results showing incorrect score

My team won 100-50 by surrender, but the results tab shows 100-100.

I have only seen this 2 or 3 times. But again, I’m not playing too often, so it could still be present.

---
---
---
  1. Unnecessary wait for the map vote timer

You have 10 players. If four of them vote on map 1, and three of them say “no preference”, then the remaining three cannot change the result of the vote.

So, why doesn’t the timer end at that point? We’re all forced to wait 30 seconds, even though we can’t change our vote and the result is already decided.

It makes even less sense when 6 out of 10 players voted on one map, yet it still won’t proceed:

---

I made a separate thread on how to improve the voting system.

---
---
---
  1. Keybinding inconsistency (and another ordering inconsistency)

I’m left-handed and I remapped the ultimate skill to Z, and F to jump. Let’s see how the interface reflects this.

Skills:

Looks good, Z is the ultimate after all. Note the order: Q-Z-E.

---

Gear:

Z is correct, but the order is different. Here it’s Q-E-Z.
(I stitched two images since I didn’t have a screenshot with all three prompts at once.)

---

Helix:

The order is the same as in Skills, but the game forgot I remapped ultimate to Z and it’s showing the default (F) instead. So I activate the mutation with my jump key, not the ultimate skill key.

---

So, two issues here:

1. The order in Gear is different to Skills and Helix.
  2. In Helix, the interface is showing and reacting to default key binding (F) instead of actual one (Z).
---
---
---
  1. Ugly, misaligned keybind icons

Sorry, I can’t find a better word here. The key prompts are just ugly and don’t match anything else in the game. They’re not even aligned properly.

---
---
---
  1. Stretched font in Sort menus

As opposed to issue 10, where one name is narrower than the other four, the Sort popup displays text that is wider than normal.

Compare the sort types’ names with Select/Cancel text or the gear description at the bottom of this image. The Newest/Rarity/Type/Faction/etc. text is visibly wider than usual.

---

By the way, why is Type the only sort option that has a reversed version?

---
---
---
  1. Unclickable Characters sub-tab in Marketplace (fixed?)

I believe this was added in the Alani update. I unlocked her with a Hero Key, so I don’t even know what this section holds - clicking it has no effect for me.

Update: This tab is no longer visible to me after the June 2 hotfix. Will re-check once Pendles is released.

---
---
---
  1. Absurd minimap scaling + content outside its circle

This is related to issue 9 above, but I want to keep the list order untouched, so it goes into number 17.

The scale of minimap is different for each story mission.

Here’s the expanded minimap on The Algorithm:

---

Void’s Edge map is so big that its circle doesn’t fit on the screen:

Also take a look at the edges of the minimap circle. Not too smooth.

---

The Experiment, with The Map That Just Doesn’t Fit The Circle:

(See the part near Miko’s hand.)

---

The Sentinel looks good. It’s probably the only story mission with normal minimap scale.

It’s probably because there’s no distant, “hidden” part of the map for the final boss fight, like on Algorithm and Heliophage.

---

Finally, the MINImap of The Heliophage:

It could be about two times larger and it would still fit in the circle.

---
---
---
  1. Yet another color issue in Gear descriptions

Usually it’s just the number that’s colored differently (see first image in issue 7).

But for “after taking shield damage”, the whole text after the number is gray.

---
---
---
  1. Lag when scrolling rarity-ordered Gear

On my certainly not weak PC (i7-5930K, 980 Ti), I get massive lag when trying to scroll through my gear bank if it’s ordered by rarity.

See the video where I try to keep scrolling with the same speed on the differently sorted gear list:

---

There’s also the issue of the list jumping if you scroll before clicking to focus it. It’s not shown in the video above, since I believe everyone experienced it. It’s also not fixed since forever.

---
---
---
  1. Weird character rotation when using mouse

Yet another obvious 1:1 port from console controls.

If you hold the left mouse button and move it a single pixel to the side, then the character keeps spinning with constant speed into that direction. Even if you move the mouse to the other side, it’ll keep spinning the same way until you release the mouse button.

Here’s how it looks, with the mouse cursor barely moving:

---

This is how it works in the rest of the “rotating 3D object” world:

Note how the speed and distance covered by mouse cursor is connected to the angle the object rotated. In Battleborn, only the direction matters, with the speed being constant as long as the button is pressed.

---
---
---
  1. Unable to focus Loot Packs with the mouse

During the Lootpocalypse, I bought quite a lot of faction loot packs. I bought 5 (one for each faction), opened all 5, then bought another 5, and so on. All of that in Gear tab (not Marketplace).

After the second repetition of the above, I noticed that I can’t focus the last item on the list. This only affected the mouse cursor, as I was able to focus the item with keyboard arrows.

---

After yet another repetition of buying and opening 5 loot packs, I now couldn’t focus two last items.

---

I didn’t test it further, but it kinda seemed that it would continue to three last items if I kept buying and opening packs.

---
---
---

Summary

The devil is in the details.

These issues are not breaking the game. Most of them are not even going to be noticed by the majority. However, things like these scream “unfinished game” for me, even if they’re minor.

The interface has gone through some tweaks since the previous test I was able to try, but it’s still offputting. It’s not intuitive, it’s inconsistent in ordering and its use of fonts and button sizes, doesn’t fully support mouse features and instead focuses on console buttons, just remapped to some uncomfortable O/P or K/L keys, as hinted by ugly prompts.

We now know that these things are on the bottom of the priority list. Guess we’ll have to wait a few more months for Battleborn to be called “polished”, while some other games manage to get that at launch.

20 Likes

I think the “Victory” screen lingering for that long may be to mask a loading time. If that is the case, I would agree it gives poor feedback of what is occurring because it stays on screen for so long and you need only 1 or 2 seconds, not 10, to see the score and revel in victory or weep in defeat.

Great post, by the way. Really well laid out and researched.

1 Like

These seems like a legitimate criticism of the text styles used, something I never considered but I see your point. For a game that is cartoonish, you would think the theme would run rampant.

A+ feedback, and I fully agree. The fonts have been bothering me a lot too. And that MS Paint mockup would be a huge improvement over the small and useless buttons we have currently.They are very poor quality and overall all these things make the menus look very “cheap”

1 Like

Added more stuff to the first post:

• more inconsistencies (gear ordering in different menus)
  • confusing colors in descriptions
  • rant about using CC instead of Crowd Control, when there’s lots of space for it
  • rant about double avatar (why is it shown above error popups?)

Oh, and I found what the empty quarlilateral is for (first picture). It’s for displaying best score for PvE, or something along these lines. I don’t think it’s ever used in PvP.

Thanks for comments and likes.

@fri wow thats some detail, could you do something similar for the in-game HUD?

There’s a few issues there, especially the minimap.

I don’t recall any glaring issues with the HUD, apart from the ultimate skill sitting between skill 1 and skill 2. I still don’t understand why it’s like that in the bottom-left menu in game.

If you have any suggestions, post them here or message me (either here or on Discord).

Update:

• added section about missing icon
  • added section about low quality minimap frame
  • moved to general discussion (was in beta forums)
  • cleaned up the post for easier reading

Count of the issues that have been addressed since the beta: 0
Number of acknowledgements from the development team: 0

I like reporting issues, but the total lack of any official reply to any of the reported issues is disheartening. We only get replies from mods (“Nice post. Really nice post.”), but the PR team from Gearbox/2K is either nonexistent or on very long holidays. This makes me want to stop reporting and just move on to other games.

1 Like

Great feedback (the pictures help a lot!) I certainly agree most with 3, 6, & 7.

1. I also don’t understand the numbering order for the loot packs, which are out of order (like you showed). Also, the RED text color for the unlock level is hard to read, especially when it runs over the silver lock graphic behind it.

2. The endgame screen displays for way too long on Xbox One, too. Sometimes we’ll sit for 30 seconds or more just waiting for it to go away. This also happens after a story mission and you get the “Mission Complete” screen. It might be because there are background items loading, but it’s at the very least odd that there’s no indication of what’s going on.

3. Gear descriptions are indeed confusing. And thank you for mentioning those of us who generally don’t play MOBAs or who aren’t familiar with some of the abbreviations. Some items just aren’t clear for those of us who don’t have a lot of experience with these type of features. I know time will improve it, but some items just aren’t clear about what they do in general, regardless of abbreviation.

Thanks for the well laid out post!

1 Like

Update:

• marked 8 as fixed. Yay!
  • added: narrow name on leftmost pedestal
  • added: incorrect score when enemy surrenders
  • added: unnecessary wait for map vote when the result is set in stone

Not sure what to do with the 3rd point, as there were some changes, but ordering is still not consistent.

Yet another update…

• updated 3 with more recent screenshots
  • added: keybinding+ordering inconsistency
  • added: keyboard icon prompts are just ugly
  • added: stretched font in order popups
  • added: Characters sub-tab is not accessible if Alani is already unlocked

The list is now 16 items long, with one of them marked as fixed.

It would be great to know if the issues are known to the dev team and how deep in the tickets bin they are. @scottv, would it be possible to get a reply to fuel my nitpick engine?

1 Like

Just stumbled over this topic and OMG you did an amazing job!!! Most people start to complain about seemingly “big issues of this and that OP or broken” but his is actually constructive and right on spot! :heart:
I hope the Devs look into this!

You’re hired!

But seriously, why haven’t they hired you yet? Do you consult?

This is amazing feedback. The effort here is off the charts, and I applaud you.

If I may add one more nit-pick, the whole gear interface is fucky on PC. If you mouse-wheel-scroll the bank page without clicking in it first, when you do click, it reverts to pre-scroll as you click. Janky as hell. If your cursor moves even a single pixel while you’re clicking on an item, the game assumes you want to drag n drop the item, causing the interface to shift into big arrows pointing all over the place. And the default keys for selling and confirming are awkward for a WASD Keyboard.

Maybe the awkward selling is intentional to prevent accidental sales, but it feels like there should be a better solution than “make it suck.”

1 Like

Update:

• added: 17. minimap scaling and uncropped minimap content
  • added: 18. another color issue in gear descriptions
  • added: 19. lag when scrolling through gear if it’s sorted by rarity
  • added: 20. weird character rotation due to 1:1 console port
  • added: 21. unable to focus loot packs with the mouse
  • modified summary and increased spacing between issues

Sure, I love pointing out 1 px misalignment issues any time of the day. :wink:

Beautiful post

This annoys me so much… A video of it here.

Don’t actually remember if I filed the support ticket, will file another one none the less.

This is a good list. We’re aware of it. Our list internally is larger than this.

Some of these items, like the Victory Screen lingering, are there because they are dependent on back-end services and loading times (as guessed by Sornub). Some of these, like inconsistent mouse spinning, are so minor they are at (and will probably remain) at the bottom of the priority list.

For the last three months, we’ve been working non-stop to make improvements to the game, create new content, and take care of issues. All of those tasks are prioritized, many of them on a week-to-week basis. I will ask our UI designer and QA teams to verify that all of these issues are documented and prioritized. Given our current workload, the the non-game-breaking state of these issues, they likely won’t happen soon.

10 Likes

Thank you Jythri. A response is always great to hear.

Most are not game breaking but I really do hope that UI issues would get a little more attention. Especially keybind prompts and buggy targeting that actually directly impact user experience.

As a general rule in life, you have a lot less to fix if you do it right in the first place. A lot of these things could have been avoided if a little more care was put into this stuff.
I appreciate all the thing you do, really, but I get very nit picky when it gets to UI and HUD and from AAA devs (for AAA price) I expect a little more.

Seems obvious and easy from the outside, doesn’t it?

It never is, though.

5 Likes