3 very short questions from newish person

The Bad Touch can cost anywhere from $100 to all the money you have, it’s completely RNG based. Best to spam the “Tip 100” buttton instead of the 1000 button… I once spent only 300 to get a Good Touch for my Maya. I’m so excited… just got Krieg to 72, can’t wait to make him OP8 to buy a Bad Touch for Maya… she bought hers at level 20, something I’ve regretted ever since.

You sure about that? I though it was “tip Moxxi 10 x $100” to get it once per character. The Good Touch is definitely random though, with what appears to be about 1 in 10 odds (regardless of amount tipped.) For either weapon, just make sure you let any dialogue from Moxxi complete before you tip again. (You can ignore that from the dudes over at the knife board.)

I have never been able to get a Bad Touch on any character more than once - and I tip Moxxi regularly! - so the wiki is wrong on this. In fact, it has always been once per character since the game launched.

There is a work-around: start a new character on a second profile, and bring them in on split-screen; trade enough cash to tip Moxxi, then use that character to get the Bad Touch and trade it back to your primary. (You could also have a friend you trust come in with a new character on co-op to do the same thing.)

Thank you very much for all of these very helpful replies!

I think I understand the farming question now. Thanks. Just a couple of follow-up questions:

a. What is OP8?
b. I didn’t realize the status effect times were different – so in principle, if everything were identical, a corrosive weapon is 3/8th more effective status-wise than a fire weapon and 4x as effective as a shock weapon (just in terms of DOT of course, which is obviously not the main deal). Right?
c. Some skills, I’m thinking of Gaige’s or Zero’s shock explosions, do “Level (1-5)” electric damage – how much is that actually? Does that scale per level of char? Is level 1 negligable and level 5 significant, or is it all fairly weak?
d. Understand with the keys now. I thought 1 was a lot, but obviously there a lot out there. So using them isn’t considered cheating? Like getting good loot without “earning” it?
e. I only play Single Player. So far I have found Gaige quite suitable to my style. But are the other characters besides Axton (who seems quite gaige-like) viable single-player or are those team players?
f. there won’t be more expansions for BL2, right – it’s all going to be in the pre-sequel I suppose?
g. Something must have happened on Steam recently – now, when I start the BL2 launcher, I get a message: You have unsaved changes, would you like to save them? If I hit “no”, everything is fine. If I hit “yes”, then the game launches with blue and red colors about half a screen apart, everything blurry, and totally useless – have to quit and restart my computer (just restarting the game does nothing). Can I fix that?

THANK YOU!!!

Overpower level 8. Completely optional end-game thing after UVHM. Worry about it when you get there!

Not at all. The stuff from the chest has variable utility. By all means use it if you need it.

All perfectly viable for single player. Raid bosses are harder for some than others, but story/DLC is just fine

Four DLCs and 5 head-hunter pack “mini DLCs” is plenty!

I believe it is that the odds that Moxxi will kick down a Good Touch are random once you reach the tip threshold (~10K, I think, as was mentioned above). If anyone has gotten one from her for less than that, please let us know. If you reach ~10K, restart the game for a fresh shot.

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]a. What is OP8?[/quote]OP stands for Over-Power, which is a description of the levels VaultHunter101 described. Once you get to level 72, you have the option of running through a little map called Digistruct Peak. When you successfully run through that map, you unlock an extra level. Your character stays at level 72, but you have the option of entering the game at OP1 (which is basically level 73). If you select a run through of Digistruct Peak again at this higher level and successfully complete it, you unlock OP2, and so on up to OP8. The benefits of this are a little nuanced. For the sake of this conversation, let’s assume you’ve unlocked all the way up to OP8.

• First, every time you start a new game and select Ultimate Vault Hunter mode, you are prompted to select an OP level.
  • While you remain level 72, you may equip and use gear as high a level as OP8 (level 80).
  • Enemies in these OP levels will be based around the OP level you choose to play.
  • By mixing your gear set and the OP level you want to play at, you have a very elegant difficulty slider.
  • You can go farm a bunch of OP8 gear and play at OP1 if you want to steamroll enemies (since the gear will be, on average, seven levels higher than they are.
  • You can stick with level 72 gear and play at OP8 if you think the game is too easy.

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]b. I didn’t realize the status effect times were different – so in principle, if everything were identical, a corrosive weapon is 3/8th more effective status-wise than a fire weapon and 4x as effective as a shock weapon (just in terms of DOT of course, which is obviously not the main deal). Right? [/quote]In Normal mode, it won’t matter quite as much (and at some level, even in UVHM, you can kill armored enemies with fire… it just takes way longer). When you get into True mode (where elemental bonuses and penalties increase slightly), you’ll want to get into the habit of matching elements to enemy health (and in Ultimate mode, unless you have incredibly good gear, you’ll definitely want to match elements to health). In a pinch, shock weaponry is a good default because very few things are shock proof, and it doesn’t suffer any off-health-type penalty.

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]c. Some skills, I’m thinking of Gaige’s or Zero’s shock explosions, do “Level (1-5)” electric damage – how much is that actually? Does that scale per level of char? Is level 1 negligable and level 5 significant, or is it all fairly weak?[/quote]You’ll want to check those on a case-by-case basis, since they’re not identical between characters (and I believe it does scale per character level). When you get a character to that level, put some points into it and see if it produces the damage you want. If you’re playing Gaige now, there are some pretty lengthy discussions about Shock and AAAGHHHH!. If you’re thinking of Death from Above, that recently got a buff, so pay no attention to older rants about how that skill is terrible. It’s still an acquired taste. Is there a specific skill you’re interested in?

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]d. Understand with the keys now. I thought 1 was a lot, but obviously there a lot out there. So using them isn’t considered cheating? Like getting good loot without “earning” it? [/quote]No way - totally legit. People have very different opinions about what’s considered cheating, and there may very well be some purists who don’t believe in gear that wasn’t pulled from the bloody corpse of some bandit, but those keys are very handy to keep around for times when you need relief from an occasional loot drought (and often for one’s shaky first steps into UVHM).

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]e. I only play Single Player. So far I have found Gaige quite suitable to my style. But are the other characters besides Axton (who seems quite gaige-like) viable single-player or are those team players? [/quote]I am of the opinion (and I’m sure I’m not alone here) that there isn’t a single character that’s so team-focused to not be worth a single-player campaign. Even Aurelia (from the Pre-Sequel), who has almost an entire tree dedicated to co-op play, is quite enjoyable solo.

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]If there won’t be more expansions for BL2, right – it’s all going to be in the pre-sequel I suppose?[/quote]I don’t know of any more expansions for BL2, and I wouldn’t expect any. Still, between all the DLC and holiday packs, there’s a lot of content.

[quote=“iankaplow, post:23, topic:1243792”]g. Something must have happened on Steam recently – now, when I start the BL2 launcher, I get a message: You have unsaved changes, would you like to save them? If I hit “no”, everything is fine. If I hit “yes”, then the game launches with blue and red colors about half a screen apart, everything blurry, and totally useless – have to quit and restart my computer (just restarting the game does nothing). Can I fix that?[/quote]Have you right-clicked on the game in the Steam Library, selected Properties, and chose Verify Integrity of Game Cache? I’d start there (if anything is corrupted in the game files, Steam should fix it right up). That said, do you have cloud saves enabled?

Digistruct Peak. As @VaultHunter101 said, worry about it when you get there because you have a long road ahead of you before you can even open up UVHM.

No. Corrosive and shock don’t do as much damage to flesh as fire does, while fire and shock don’t do as much damage to armor, and fire and corrosive don’t do as much damage to shields. When people mention element matching that’s what they mean: fire for fleshy enemies (like psychos, bruisers, and unshielded marauders), corrosive for bots and armored enemies (mostly Hyperion personnel), and shock for anybody who’s wearing a shield. Explosive is the odd-man out in that it tends to be a 1:1 ratio of listed gun damage to actual damage against everything but shields, where it does 3/4th the damage (I may be wrong). Gaige has skills that increase her shock damage, so you should be okay no matter what you’re fighting, but I would bring along a good corrosive weapon anyway. Tiny Tina’s Teapot is a good one and pretty easy to get while doing story missions.

It’s kind of hard to describe, but the level is the level of damage it does. So Level 1 is much weaker than Level 5. They do scale, and do so much better after the last patch. You’ll want at least five points in any of the rank skills if you’re taking them. Ask in the appropriate character forum if you have questions about a specific skill.

All of them are very viable, but Gaige and Krieg are very good solo players. Maya is probably the best co-op because she has team healing and can use her power to resurrect downed players while they’re in FFYL.

There won’t be any more expansions for either game, but GBX may surprise us and release a new DLC for TPS. I wouldn’t expect one though.

I got the level 46 Good Touch I kept (Dahl sight; previous level 46 GT with Maliwan grip had either the Bandit or Tediore scope-sight, which I dislike on SMGs) for $100. And I’ve gotten a GT for $300-500 on many occasions. From what I can tell there’s simply a fixed probability of getting one for any tip of any size.

Gulfwulf, thank you for fixing the wiki! :smiley:

I’ll add that the characters in this game offer quite a good variety, and finding one that suits your playstyle makes a big difference! I started with Axton since he’s the consensus advice for new players. And for good reason - when every map is new to you in NVHM, being able to drop the turret and run for cover works extremely well to learn the game. But I’ve found that Maya suits me far better than Axton - superb dps from Cloud Kill, Ruin, Reaper, and Chain Reaction, great crowd control from phaselock and Converge, and good survivability from Sweet Release and later skills in the Harmony tree. I’m finding that she kills things enormously faster than Axton, survives at least as well if not better, and is just plain way more fun (for me). :grinning: All while being one level lower than Axton was at the same point in his progression.

Gaige is the one I haven’t played yet, but they’re all unique and worth trying out. Sal seems to be a walking pile of exploitable game mechanics, whether elegant (Deputy Sal) or … less so (off-hand Pimpernel shenanigans); Zero can do some amazing things at either close or long range; I’ve seen Krieg videos where I don’t even know how he killed everything so fast (has to be Bloodsplosion, but one-shotting multiple raid bosses at once?? Wut? :open_mouth:). Every character can be awesome once you know what you’re doing. If Gaige is working well for you, great! If you hit a rough patch, it’s worth taking some of the others out for a try, maybe one of them will work even better.

Anytime. That reminds me, we need a new thread on fixing the wiki…

Seeing cloudkill as high DPS still kinda weirds me out but it is

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

I am almost at UVHM with my Mechromancer. Just have to kill Jack basically. Wanted to check out the DLC first however. (Is that how people do it? Or the other way around: first Jack then DLC?)

Does completing 1 OP level unlock a whole new playthrough level of the whole content, or just another playthrough level of the digistruct map?

I realize shock is good for shields, I just never have had problems with any shields of any enemy (except the odd constructor every now and then).

I’ve been finding Gaige fairly simple to use, and Krieg more difficult to use than I thought. Once having gotten Thrill of the Kill, I’m finding it a lot easier, but still somewhat challenging to survive some scenarios until I actually kill something (which usually just refills my health without the need for BAR). I find it difficult to crowd control. Maybe I am just not understanding something.

For additional content, I only imagined a new smallish map, but new mods for weapons – e.g. that each weapon would have a random number (such as 0-3) slots in which you could attach collectable attachments (stabilizers, chokes, scopes, magazine expansions, mods for faster loading, etc. etc.). But I suppose that would be too much work. I am surprised about how good I find this game; such an excellent mix of good writing, decent level-building, pacing, and fun. I haven’t been so impressed since the original Deux Ex.

It’s up to you. I usually mix and match throughout my playthrough.

The OP levels effect the entire game. So at OP1, every enemy in the game will be level 73. However, unless you select the OP level, it will remain at 0. You can change the OP level at Main Menu

Elements don’t really play a big part until UVHM. You’ll want to get a good shock weapon / grenade mod. Storm Front / Quasar are my favorite ones.

Just a little correction
At let’s say op1 the enemies Max level goes up by 1 to level 75 since in UVHM they can be +/- 2 levels of you and op1 is basically level 73 without the extra skill point. This also means that the minimum level of the enemies goes up by 1 to 71.
Tl:Dr every enemy is not lvl 73 its still +/- 2 of your level

1 Like

My bad. Spaced on that bit

No worries

[quote=“iankaplow, post:30, topic:1243792”]Does completing 1 OP level unlock a whole new playthrough level of the whole content, or just another playthrough level of the digistruct map? [/quote]Only by way of Digistruct Peak. If you run the peak once, then do a full playthrough of the storyline, you’ll still be at OP1. What UVHM (not necessarily the OP levels) lets you do is reset the missions for a character whenever you want. On the screen where you select which playthrough you want, the button to reset the playthrough is listed on the bottom right. You don’t have to be in the OP levels to get this option. I’m not sure that answers your question?

[quote=“iankaplow, post:30, topic:1243792”]I realize shock is good for shields, I just never have had problems with any shields of any enemy (except the odd constructor every now and then).[/quote]In UVHM, especially later in the game, you’ll notice it if you try to take out a shielded enemy with a fire or corrosive weapon, for example. You can still kill them like this if you bring some other damage-multiplying skills to bear, but you’ll definitely feel it.

So just in case anyone is still reading this: Has anyone got “Swordsplosion” to work? I thought there were supposed to be 3 child explosions from the main sword, but I can’t notice that happening. Is it without animation? Sort of underwhelmed by it so far…

It’s really good but, only if it has the casual prefix and torgue grip. If it doesn’t it’s not very good. Krieg and Axton and make it even better.

You should see the child swords spin out at least. I can’t remember if they have to hit a target to get the explosion though? Been a while since I used one.

I’m pretty sure, this is how it works , to find out shoot the ground ahead of you the shot should hit ground first then split off into the tiny separate explosions.

Thanks much people.

I see smart folks here talking about gear with a Thiskinda Grip or a Thatkinda Barrel or a special Capacitator or other somesuch part. They say to look out for the shotgun with the one kind and forget the other kinds. But how are you supposed to tell one weapon Grip from another? Can you actually see the individual parts visually, or how do you check which parts are made up of what? I just see the weapon card. Sorry.