52 Albums in 52 Weeks

Hey guys, I’m going to be trying something in 2018 that I think will be pretty interesting. I’d like to have the GBX community recommend an album for each week of the year for me to listen to and give my thoughts on. My goal is to make a short post here on each album that I listen to although I may have to miss weeks sporadically depending on circumstances. If that happens I’ll probably just double up and do two albums in a week. Anyways, I’d like to lay out some ground rules.

1. Must be an album you actually like. I’m doing this for fun, please don’t make me listen to D4NNY’s album.

2. One submission per user. (Subject to change depending on how many people we get participating)

3. The album must be available on Spotify. If it is not, the submitter must provide a free stream.

4. The album must be one I haven’t already listened to. I’m doing this mainly as a way to find new music.

5. You can pick a specific week for your album to be listened to if you want. (eg. a Christmas album in December)

January 1st | God Lives Underwater - Empty | Submitted By: billthebetta

Overall, I thought the album was pretty good. They did a great job of fusing guitar riffs with electronic beats to create a very unique sound for them album. Unique for me at least. I’m sure in the history of music someone else has come up with something similar, but I haven’t heard it. Some songs were a bit hit-and-miss for me, but overall it was an enjoyable listen. The low part of the album for me was the opening song. They monotonously repeat “My mind is not made up” for about 45 seconds straight, but luckily the rest of the album was uphill from there and I didn’t have the same issue with any of the other songs. I’m definitely going to be revisiting some of my favorites from the album like “All Wrong” and “Empty”.

January 8th | Asteroid - III | Submitted By: itsTwister

Does anyone else judge albums by their art? I know I do, and Asteroid sounded almost exactly like I expected. A wall of guitars and wailing vocals reminded me of artists like “Wolfmother” and “Garveyard”. A “Modern Classic Rock” sound, if you will. It was a very enjoyable listen and one that I will definitely come back to from time to time when I’m looking for something to blast out of my car.

Favorite Tracks: Them Calling, Wolf & Snake

January 15th | Bo Burnham - Bo Burnham | Submitted By: Temet Nosce

I find that a lot of the time when I listen to comedy music it is either lacking in the comedy department or the music department. Luckily, Bo avoids both of these pitfalls. Even if you replaced the lyrics with generic humming the songs would still be really catchy. I’ve found “New Math” stuck in my head more than a few times over the last week. Bo is as funny as I remember, with great one-liners and wordplay throughout the album. I think the one gripe I had with this album is that Bo goes for shock humor and innuendo a little too often for my tastes, but the album is from 2009 and I’m pretty sure Helen Keller jokes were still funny back then so I’ll give it a pass.

Favorite Tracks: New Math, High School Party

January 22th | Volbeat - Gangsters, Guitars, and Cadillac Blood | Submitted By: UntilValhalla

Volbeat’s Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood was on my plate this week, and I had a great time listening to it. The thing that stuck out to me most was the sheer number of genres the band touches on during the course of the album. I noticed bits of Blues, Hard Rock, Punk, Metal, Thrash, Country, and Reggae as I listened through the album. This was really fun to listen to, and kept the album from growing stagnant even though it weighs in at a relatively hefty 14 tracks. I really enjoyed this album, thanks for submitting it @UntilValhalla!

Favorite Tracks: Hallelujah Goat, Back to Prom

January 29th | British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power | Submitted By: Psychichazard

After a short intro track, “Apologies to Insect Life” kicks off with a catchy baseline that is shortly joined by wailing vocals and raucous guitar work. This song has tons of energy and is a great way to kick off the album. While the rest of the songs don’t capture the same vibrant energy this song oozes, they sound to me like precursors of today’s alt rock giants. Arcade Fire is the main one that comes to my mind on tracks like “Remember Me” and “Carrion”. I’m not sure if British Sea Power really influenced Arcade Fire, but it sure sounds like it to me.

Favorite Tracks: Apologies to Insect Life, Carrion

February 5th | Rush - The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits | Submitted By: HandsomeCam

Like my review of British Sea Power I can definitely hear Rush’s influence on their respective genre. Other progressive metal/rock bands like Dream Theater (another album I am going to be listening to) heavily borrow from the blueprint that Rush created in terms of their songwriting and extremely technical musicianship. Every song on this album is enjoyable. I also appreciate how distinctly 80s the album feels with their syths and vocals. I will definitely be revisiting this as well as checking out other Rush albums in the future.

Favorite Tracks: YYZ, Vital Signs

February 12th | Flamingosis - Bright Moments | Submitted By: troylusfinn
https://www.xlr8r.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/13882296_10154413758013817_2142180249248607660_n.png

A stark departure from the last two albums I’ve reviewed, but very enjoyable nonetheless. I am a big fan of instrumental music (although there are vocals for some of these songs) and this album’s jazzy tone seems like a perfect piece to put on the record player while you’re relaxing on a warm, lazy sunday with some drinks and a book (I think “Comfy” is the term the kids are using these days). Kanye’s “Gold Digger” being sampled on “Cassanova” was a pleasant surprise, but I’m glad most songs are just instrumental, I think that schtick would have gotten old after a few songs. Anyways, I really enjoyed the album and it’s definitely going on my chill instrumental songs playlist.

Favorite Tracks: Feeling of Sentimentality Due to Getting Curved, Airplane Mode

February 19th | Jacques Loussier - My Personal Favorites | Submitted By: nbrownlie237

So I will admit that I am not the most familiar with Bach (or classical music in general). I can recognize his more famous pieces like “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” just from hearing them so many times, but the rest are pretty much new to me. However, it seems like these are Bach pieces with jazzy parts interspersed throughout. While the jazz portions are a bit hit or miss with me, the classical portions were very enjoyable and it was obvious that the pieces were very expertly played. Overall I think the jazz portions will grow on my over time as I think it’s a bit of an acquired taste, and even despite the jazz parts being hit or miss for me the album was still a great listen and a welcome departure from my musical comfort zone.

Favorite Tracks: Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring, Concerto in F Minor: Presto

February 26th | Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out | Submitted By: VaultHunter101

March 5th | Husker Du - Zen Arcade | Submitted By: ACNAero

March 12th | Electric Six - Fire | Submitted By: Arsonist

March 19th | Geezer Butler - Black Science | Submitted By: PoeticNova

March 26th | Dream Theatre - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory | Submitted By: farsight37

April 2th | Tim Minchin - So ■■■■■■■ Rock (Live) | Submitted By: Psychichazard

April 9th | Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space | Submitted By: Psychichazard

April 16th | Deltron 3030 - Self-Titled | Submitted By: farsight37

April 23th | Gorillaz - Self-Titled | Submitted By: TemetNosce

April 30th | The Stooges - Fun House | Submitted By: ACNAero

May 7th | Borknagar - Winter Thrice | Submitted By: PoeticNova

May 14th | Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf | Submitted By: Arsonist

May 21st | Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies | Submitted By: UntilValhalla

May 28th | Skeletons - Atlas | Submitted By: gammuh

June 4th

June 11th

June 18th

June 25th

July 2th

July 9th

July 16th

July 23th

July 30th

August 6th

August 13th

August 20th

August 27th

September 3th

September 10th

September 17th

September 24th

October 1th

October 8th

October 15th

October 22th

October 29th

November 5th

November 12th

November 19th

November 26th

December 3th

December 10th

December 17th

December 24th

3 Likes

I love this idea, hope you find something you end up cherishing.

I suggest God Lives Underwater’s Empty.

Can’t say for sure if this album, in its entirety, is on spotify, but GLU does seem to have some content on the site. Otherwise, Youtube’s still around.

1 Like

Youtube is perfectly fine. I just don’t want to have to go searching for streams myself haha.

1 Like

I am excited about the idea. I think it’ll be a great way to find some new music. Hopefully people give me stuff to listen to. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Added!

I kinda want to get a head start on these but I’ll hold out till 2018 I hope.

I have to admit, this made me realize two things. One that I don’t think I actually like every song on any album, and two that I’m not really sure what I’d recommend first. For now, if you haven’t heard it, try Bo Burnham. Both the artist name and album name. Google says Spotify has it.

Volbeat’s Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood.

Bloody hell. This is tough.

(That’s not a suggestion, btw. Sounds like some ghastly 80’s metal band’s tricky third album.)

For now, I’ll suggest Spiritualized- Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. It’s the most albumy album, in terms of production, in that I find it very jarring to hear an individual track, not wrapped up in the other songs.

But I might change my mind when BRMC’s new album comes out in February…

■■■■. British Sea Power- The Decline Of British Sea Power. Yeah, that one. Or at least until I think of something else…

Ghost - Popestar

hqdefault

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I’ve added them to the OP.

@AMG_75 I actually received that one in a vinyl exchange this year. Loved it musically. The lyrical content turned me off a bit though. I’m not particularly religious, but I’m definitely not a satanist haha. Still, it’s good enough musically that I still listen to it fairly regularly.

2 Likes

Boston; the 1976 album. There’s no album name, as far as i know…

As to Spotify, i’ve never used it, and so couldn’t say; it’s available on YouTube though.

Next week in line, or whenever you feel like.

EDIT:
I looked it up, and Spotify DOES have it; it’s only eight songs.

This is a cool idea, by the way. It helps broaden your horizons, as well as get to know others! As to why i chose this, Boston became my favorite band a little over two years ago, when i realized that 4 songs that i really liked from 80’s radio stations were by them, and i looked into more of their stuff. I was born in 1990, so i never saw the 80’s, much less the 70’s, haha.

What a shame that i will never get to see them in concert… :disappointed:

1 Like

I already have that one on vinyl. My absolute favorite classic rock album. Perfect example of an album that is great start to finish.

If you’ve got any other suggestions let me know.

1 Like

I feel that, since your opinion on that one is the same as my own, any of my other suggestions would likely end up being known and liked by you already; i’m all about classic/hard rock, haha.

Carry on with getting suggestions and such!

Actually I don’t listen to all that much classic rock besides a few albums that I really like (Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin) so feel free to make another suggestion.

1 Like

Alrighty then, how about Rush’'s “The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits (1974-1987)”? I just checked, and it is on Spotify.

Rush is… Different.

Flamingosis - Bright Moments
One of my favourite albums of all time :grin:

Hmmm. “Jacques Loussier: My Personal Favourites”

No clue what genres you like, but I’m seeing a lot of classic rock here, so I thought I’d switch things up a bit.

1 Like

One album per poster? Dang! I’ll go with “Time Out” by the Dave Brubeck quartet - that’s a master class on musical rhythm, even if you’re not particularly in to jazz. And Paul Desmond’s sax is just molten chocolate for the ears.

1 Like

Oooh, yes please. I was considering Gone with the Wind, because “Georgia on my Mind” is amazing.

1 Like