A Borderlands Spinoff Survival Game

Me and a couple of people, both friends and randos, were at the local game shop this past Friday night and all discussing Borderlands 3 and we all collectively thought the idea would be awesome, and some who were just getting into Borderlands even hoped into the idea with ease. I mean, BL3 pretty much sets up the concept pretty easily and the transition would be pretty great. Like I said, it would be a spinoff. It would be 4, or affect the overall main world. Probably wouldnt even be canon. Heres some of the stuff I can remember us spitballing around last night and why:

• Gunsmithing: One of the main reason we got the idea. The fact that you can now see all the individual parts of the guns, and the stats they affect pretty much set this idea up. And that maybe Gearbox added this as part of some transparency, but all to set up something bigger in the future. Borderlands is all about its guns, and for every game in the franchise, even the mobile title Legends on iOS, we’ve been on Pandora and its set up how harsh of a wasteland it is. Not only that but everyone is a gun manufacturer. From the Bandits in BL1 to the COV to BL3. So pretty much everyone is adept at forming their own guns to some extent. Imagine being able to dismantle and craft your own guns from scraps and guns you find out in the wastes. One thing you would have to keep in mind is the manufacturer compatibility. So you couldnt just throw a Torgue barrel on a Jakobs chamber lol. But basically, after taking down a bandit, and looting their gun you would be able to break down/dismantle it and take those parts and add them to your own gun, or alter them. I love looking at all the gun stats in BL3 and how certain parts effect what in your gun. And being able to customize that seems like the next step after introducing this feature.

• Creatures of the Waste: Bordelands has a good variety of creatures, and with the addition of being able to travel to other planets it added a ton more variety. Its probably the closest Im actually going to get to playing a GOOD game where I can pseudo-hunt dinosaurs when exploring Eden-6 lol. And we know how much bandits praise meat and how much the citizens of Pandora scavenge for their food. So being able to hunt the creatures of Pandora like Skags, and other creatures, for their meat, and maybe other supplies would be kind of assume. Their danger factor would also probably be ramped up because this is a survival title. So itd be less guns blazing of the typical Borderlands title, and more tactical. But being able to hunt the various creatures, with some added depth of actually NEEDING them because you have to feed your character, or maybe they have other natural resources on them that you need would be another great addition and truly let you experience what its like on life on Pandora (or any other planet because I really want to hunt those dinos on Eden-6)

• Skills: All Borderlands titles have had skill trees to some degree. Every playable character has had both a branch tree, and a Guardian Rank or Badass Rank. This wouldnt be necessary for a survival game, but there are some that have done it before, and it could possible add to the depth of your character. You could be someone who stumbled upon the wastes, or a bandit gone rogue and is looking to live a better life for yourself so you leave your group and set foot to become your own lone soldier, like most stories of the Vault Hunters. And unlike the Vault Hunters, you would start from scratch not only from the building up of your skills, but from everything, to your guns, and class, etc.

This is just a handful of the stuff I remember us discussing last night, but it got me really excited and hopeful. Although I know if this was something Gearbox was interested in and had in the pipelines it wouldnt come out for a WHILE. After all BL3 is still fresh, with at least 4 DLCs and a couple events on the way. Still, Im holding out hope lol.

Side Note:
Maybe itd also be a roguelike, to add extra replayability, and give some real tension to that survival feel while exploring the waste. No Hyperion New-U systems in sight (and since they said they werent actually real or canon anyway and just a boon for the game so it wouldnt be too out of left field). 1 Life=1 Chance. Lol.

7 Likes

ya know i could get behind this if an thats a big IF it was implemented correctly an not half assed gotta keep the celshadeing wouldnt be borderlands without it…like being a bandit or just some one trying to live in general on pandora…gotta have that skill tree for real tho…trow in some legendary guns…no real heavy plot or story just kinda like a survival build loot an shoot but borderlands style ------ kinda like ark but better/with bl—was the picture i got as i was reading this anyways…lol i could see the git good comments on a game like that now lmao…but with the way surival games have been flogged like a dead horse i dont see it happening it would take so real dedication i would think…an yeah deff make it not cannon u could give the lore stuff but i wouldnt let it add anything that we didnt already know…just kinda dbl down an explain s*** that aint so clear like why tf do skaggs mouths open like that…idk bout the 1 life thing tho could find a way to impliment the new u into it an actually make dying a real burden somehow… lmao they could also set it in the past so it could be pandora with jack raising hell all over the place killing everything …idk -like the idea tho…id play it …:+1:

1 Like

I could too because Gearbox is a HUGE studio and they dont have really anything in development now except support BL3 with all those people. And it’s such a big franchise and money maker for them I can only see them making sure they take care of it. And yeah we were kinda just flying ideas all over the place last night lol. And you’re right. Survival are kinda all over the place. The only way they become established is if they have something unique to them. Like 7 Days to Die has been in development for like a 8 yrs now and still in Alpha apparently despite getting a physical release on console. The only survival games that last are ones with something unique that carries them. For minecraft its its look and open availability to molding. For Ark its its dinosaurs. For myfavorite, Dont Starve, its its art and sanity mechanic and just its world. For Bordelands I could see it being its art, theme, overall zaniness that seems lost in most games nowadays. The gun crafting, etc. Although think is itd probably be wouldnt be like most BL title as a survival. Probably wouldnt have heaps of enemies as they could just demolish you, especially at earlier stages. And yeah the roguelike thing is just my personal thing cause it adds replayability and is something i both enjoy and hate in some games until you get so good you never die again lol

1 Like

they could also do like ark an implement a solo or offline mode that way ppl on line aint always screwing u over…i could see them keeping the enemies would give u a reason to keep ur guns maintained an in good shape so they dont die on u in a fight…not that other ppl be hard to kill they die like u the real challenge would be the creatures or at least thats how i would set it up…cause lets face it terramorphes is way tougher than face mcshooty…u could build u up a camp or a town like sanctuary or fyrestone an even have a claptrap great u at the beginning. wouldn’t need to many va cause its a survival an not many ppl need to narrate how to live or survive lmao an it would be a great way to revisit some old characters like scooter or jack even general Knox if they wanted to go back that far or the two face lady that jack shoots in the face cant remember her name but u get the point…could dbl down on what made bl so great an expand by giving it in a new experience while still filing similar enough to not alienate the players…lol the more i think about it the more ways to implement it i come up with…hell u could have it to where if u git good enough u could build ur own helios station (the big H in front of the moon in bl2) or even create ur own gun manufacturing company…all while trying not to die an get that $$ to do it all with…:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking::star_struck:
yep im sold i would buy it…

1 Like

Like fallout but borderlands I love it!! This should be part of the next Gearbox board meating!! Get on it

1 Like

I also like the idea for this. A never ending borderlands!

1 Like

This is a great idea, if of course gearbox does it right (which im sure they would). I love those survival/hunting RPG games. The Witcher series, to my opinion, is still one of my favorite survival RPG games to date. For borderlands to implement this would be sick. Creatures for meat for food for health. Eridium, creature skins, metals from the futuristic maliwans/hyperions to create armors/shields, and smithing your own guns and melee weapons with elemental effects. Maybe even smithing and creating your own action skill specials rather then them being set to character. This would be awesome! :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

it seems like ur idea is starting to catch some steam lol…sadly the fan can come up with better ideas then most of the corporate ass holes that actually work for them…this is a shame if only they had ppl that actually loved the intellectual property’s instead of seeing them as cash cows…

idk bout fallout maybe one of the good ones but not 76 cause that game is s***

1 Like

A friend and I used to play risk on a borderlands 2 Pandora map. It was color coded like Risk as we just made up similar roles. Quite fun.

Here’s a image from like 2013

IMG_20191015_225528

2 Likes

I really hope so lol. Its not even something I just randomly came up with either. Ive sketched out an idea for how this would work down to the most base mechanics, and ways to keep players engaged and coming back. I didnt post all of that, or that much of the idea, because I really didnt expect this post to even get noticed lol. I thought it was just gonna be a throwaway. Hell, I went to college for Game Design and wrote a whole GDD on this very concept for Borderlands lol. I think the series has SO much potential. And its practically already laid out the groundwork for all that stuff itself. It just needs to pull the trigger.

2 Likes

Haha yer deffo not like 76. But they are some great servival games out there but most our indi games and some of the best are so far away from a triple A tital like BL3. I say fallout as its the most similar to BL3 all ready. Other then that be cool if they releases a dlc like the zombi one from BL1 but could be made into a servival mode complete new story and toons could be like a side game or mode.

2 Likes

the way i picture it working best would be to make it on Pandora ( cause why wouldn’t u that place is crazy) an make psychos an if in the past like b4 bl1 then claptraps the only main cross over then u could take the game anywhere as long as it dont contradict the main games…or it could have its on continuity line where the s*** that happens here is completely diff like its own timeline sorta speaking…just enough similarity’s to say its pandora in a bl world…really the possibility’s are endless once u think about it cause pandora is the perfect hell hole for this kinda game to be set in…

1 Like

I’m all for it. When I’m not playing bl3 I’m playing Ark, 7 Day to Die, and modded minecraft. Give me a sandbox Borderlands and I doubt I would ever stop playing. Gearbox, golden opportunity here guys.

2 Likes

I feel like this post has gained enough traction to at least warrant consideration. Not just here but in other spaces I’ve posted this exact thing, the reception has been overwhelmingly positive. And why wouldnt it be. Borderlands is Gearboxs flagship franchise and people would love to see more of it.
I’ve been looking into some analytics regarding the studio, and while they cant 100% be trusted, it’s well known that Gearbox is a HUGE studio with at least 300-800 employees. And while I wont even pretend to know what’s going on inside, since its main game is released and theres just the matter of patches and content to work on for the existing title, it begs the question of what are the rest of all those employees working on? They’ve got all the material there and supposedly the workforce, and I feel like showing off the parts of the gun components and what they do was a step in this direction. It’s just a matter if they are willing to pull the trigger

1 Like

You answered your own question there. Gearbox are working on dlc, fixing bugs, and other games, too.

I’d not say that is huge.

https://www.gearboxsoftware.com/careers/

The Gearbox Software website says 300+ so I’d say under 400 or they’d say 400+ (with temps and contractors it may be higher over a games entire lifespan)

A couple of years ago Activision got rid of 800 people in one wave. And that was only about ~10% of their employees at the time according to the reports (so probably not counting freelance, contractors and temps), I’d say that is large, definitely in relation to Gearbox. Activision is currently at roughly 4000, 2K has roughly 5,200 and 9,300 in EA.

I mean big in the sense of compared to most typical studios. I feel like I remember them helping publish some games, and in a time when lots of studios are going under any studio that can help fund another is kinda big imo