Fl4k main here. Long-time Borderlands player. There is nothing Gbx has ever released pertaining to this franchise my wife and me have not bought. We are hopelessly lost fanboys.
With that being said, I have to say that I am deeply disappointed with this DLC/Patch. I mean, it really makes me sad.
Ever since I saw Fl4k I fell in love with them. I never wanted to play a pet build, I always thought of the pets as companions (for the feel of it) and as a stat stick which is totally fine for me. After all, it’s a RPG.
I do know some Fl4k players feel the other way around with @Boombumr being the most vocal of them. And I respect it and I am happy for those pet enthusiasts that get at least something from this DLC/Patch.
But from a Fl4k main that likes to do the work himself, I feel like we’ve got very little value out of this. See how the threads over at Amara, Moze and especially Zane explode while our section is mostly the pet guys trying to figure stuff out and the Fl4k bug Megathread? There isn’t much that could be theorycrafted on. Almost no damage skills to thee damage dealer in the game? Almost no skills that in some way or the other connect with the rest of the trees? No new interesting interactions like all the other classes got!
So, we’ve not only got very little value out of it, I even feel like Gbx ripped away Fl4ks skill personality. It’s true: Gbx did not actively take away skills or interactions from Fl4k (apart from those bugs that happen). But they distributed the key features that make up the core of Fl4k to every other class, I feel.
Fl4k always was (perceptively) the squishiest character in BL3 but made up for it with his amazing damage formula. And quite frankly, Fl4k has some more-than-decent survivability via Red Fang, Not my Circus, Fade Away and now even Dominance which was a contender for the worst capstone in BL history before the patch. (That change is basically the only true value Fl4k got with this update IF you are not a pet guy!)
Fl4k has three viable action skills with one (Rakks) being a premier ASE/anointment trigger with a bugged interaction (Headcount) ever since launch.
Fl4k is also a crit-based class. Fl4k has v2 dmg in their trees (slightly clunky but it’s there in Hidden Machine), Fl4k has a lot of v1 damage. And most of this damage persists even in FFYL (unlike Zane’s damage bonuses).
But in a way Gbx gave all other characters features that Fl4k was made of. And made them even stronger/better:
- Zane is already the class to have the most gun dmg (locked behind fast movement but still). Now they upped him to ridiculousness with the following:
- Zane can now use N2M anoints instead of SNTL Cryo.
- Zane now als has v2 dmg via his new capstone. And even the requirement was lowered a good amount while putting more benefits on top of it.
- MNTS is just a flat-out better version of Rakk Attack with better cooldown, infinite usage, crit dmg from out of this world.
- Zane now has crit dmg, accuracy and a whole lot of other QoL benefits.
- Zane still has life steal (as all the other clases as well). Something Gbx ist still reluctant to give to Fl4k for whatever reason.
- Amara always had this amazing mobbing capabilites: TTB, Indiscriminate, Infusion, just to name a few. But I you wanted to boss you had to mostly resort to Phasecast 250% or Phaseslam 300% anointments and maybe even respec when mainly bossing.
- That’s because Amara has great multi-target damage but was lacking single target damage and a great damage formula.
- Not any longer: Her formula got some nice additions and her single-target damage got buffed real hard. Alongside the Ball that now allows you to spec one way and do everything with it.
There’s more but this text is already way too long for most people to read through. Thank you for doing it, by the way!
All that is not to say: Take it away from Zane or the other classes. I am sincerely happy for those players that main them. It just makes me feel like I am left in the dust from Gbx. A player who buys everything Borderlands has to offer without hesitation because I just love it.
This bad taste in my mouth doesn’t get washed away by seeing other classes take reign while my beloved robot killer is left as is and fobbed off with this disconnected skill tree and class mod. The designers of this tree cannot be the designers of the rest of the trees and COMS.
I am sad. And it grows on me. I really don’t know what I should do now.