A possibly reasonable response to the May 3rd BATTLEBORN launch

I played in the CTT but skipped the beta due to its size and my metered Internet, but I knew from playing the CTT I was going to play this game and pre-ordered enough copies for me, my wife, and our friend to play. We’re all currently having a blast despite some issue here and there, which should be patched soon.

I’m glad you wrote this thread, Giu, because I was getting rather depressed at seeing all of the various incarnations of “Battleborn will fail when Overwatch is released!” and “OW is better than BB!” and “This game sucks, don’t spend your money!” I get that it’s not for everybody, but enough is enough. If you don’t like the game, return it and get your money back; don’t come on here and call GBX or 2k names simply because your expectations weren’t met. While you certainly have a right to express your opinion, speculating about this game’s future does nobody any good. Anyway, I saw an article that stated BB debuted at #1 on the UK sales charts, so people are buying it. Once more people see how it is, they’re likely to try it as well, especially after some of the issues can be addressed.

Giu always have been OP

7 Likes

Sorry, I’m new to all this, what’s CTT?
Battleborn was the first beta I’ve ever played, first time playing online with other players, and this is the first gaming forum I’ve ever joined… (I don’t know what MOBA or any of those terms I see people use mean either)…
I just buy games, because I like playing them… Very simple, haha.

@elle_tee

Interesting. And by all means, let the conversation flow as you will! It is the best way to get some good ideas going.

This is a very good point. Often times, the people making these “reviews” are just as qualified as any other player. They aren’t more seasoned than their counterparts, nor do they have some sort of advantage in a higher formal education on the topic.

They’re just a fan, fortunate enough to be put on a platform where others listen to their opinions.

They’re not Wilde.

HONESTLY, you guys make it worth posting on here every day. Thanks for the support.

It means a lot (especially from you two).

6 Likes

[quote=“Giuvito, post:1, topic:1432367, full:true”]I genuinely worry that if we continue to release a salvo against every game producer, for everything that resembles a minor error, we will only grant those who can ignore us and still succeed the ability to survive.
[/quote]

And, sadly, the opposite is true too ! If we continue to praise to all heavens games solely based on a developper’s good name, even when they’ve been deceiving their players/clients for years with products and commercial choices that seem to go a little lower and lower each time, we, as responsable clients/players are leading the “good” developpers into a wall. Why ? Because those who refuse to resort to low commercial strategies to sell bad games shipped in a tempest of fluff, will inevitably suffer. Those honest, profesionnal devs and companies will work hard around the clock to deliver a product people will just look at from a distance and say, “meh, can’t buy it now anyway, already spent my money”. Battleborn may be kind of suffering from this, by the way.

Obviously I won’t point fingers, but let’s say one company I loved a lot, whose dedication more or less inspired what I wanted to do for a living, has been deceiving and disappointing me for … Around 8 years now. I’ll never buy one of their titles ever again. I just wish, now, they would just go quietly into the night, leaving me with the memories of their past glory.
Truth is, they are probably even more popular than before. Everybody loves them, even if they doubled, tripled the magic tricks to make you look somewhere in awe while they hastily deliver a half-finished product full of bullsh!t.

Another company also chose the “hey look at our 4 fake gameplay videos per week for our upcoming title!”, and even if every time, people are angry and feel betrayed by the real, final product, they see the new videos and say “hey! looks like they finally got their sh!t together! totally gonna buy this one day one!” and are inevitably disappointed. Still the cycle goes on : “well, title X was bad and I was lied to, but hey! X-2 will be released in 10 months and looks so damn good! Imma gonna pre-purchase RIGHT NOW!”.

Gearbox now has his very own skeletons. Lots - way too many - DLCs for Borderlands 2, the failures of Duke Nukem and Aliens Colonial Marines, mixed opinions about PreSequel… Even if they mostly didn’t develop some of those, they are still branded “Gearbox”.
Gearbox also don’t have the same history and communication and money as those two companies I won’t name. So people tend to be less forgiving, much more cautious, or just not care at all until it’s Borderlands, because Borderlands.
It’s sad, really.
That’s, however, the “normal” attitude for a client. You feel cheated, you take things cautiously. It doesn’t help that public video game website and communities won’t care either when it’s not a title or a brand that will generate clicks and money, so they tend to not care about anything that isn’t the next big thing from company XXX.
However, Borderlands and BL2 got me going for so long that I still, at least, keep an eye out for “real” Gearbox work. WHEN IS BORDERLANDS 3 COMING GOD FRAKING DAMNIT !!1! cough sorry. It’s late.

Battleborn, ironically, I initially took for a Carbine Studio game because of the visuals. I still think the guys at Gearbox got some Carbine artists after maybe the massive layoff that happened in the wake of Wildstar failure, but that’s an entirely different topic. Truth be told, I only turned to Battleborn because I had the unfortunate chance of having been able to play Overwatch Closed Beta quite early, and really wanted a comparison point. I refused to think OW, that I didn’t like, could be the next reference and would set the bar so low for this kind of game. Yes, I know now the comparison wasn’t fair. It’s just how I came to Battleborn.

So I jumped in the last open beta week end before release, and what do you know? I bought Battleborn and even if I were to be gifted an Overwatch, I wouldn’t want it.

Battleborn is a fantastic game that still needs polishing and content. It’s by no mean perfect. It’s good, it’s fun, it’s fast, it’s beautiful, there seems to be a nice community. I precisely ask for no less than that in a game. More is always welcome, obviously. Less would have been … Regrettable.

Anyway, I hope Gearbox will provide for the future. There are issues to be fixed first, I know a few things are coming soon™. I think you as forum moderators are doing a great job at trying to be patient, helpful, and not mindless censor bots. I think you are trying hard to make the good feedback brought to light. I hoep this dedication will bear fruits and Battleborn can become the future reference in its almost unique genre.

edit: gosh that was longer than I expected. Hoping I made some sense in my rant. I’m French, I rant, it’s what I do. \o/

3 Likes

@wolrajh

All valid points and concerns, but let me discuss some of them in depth.

The opposite is very true, but both circumstances call of a measured response. Placing laurels or wreaths on every action is what causes the degeneration, but sensationalism demands more often for something to be skewered than it does praise.

People are more interested in seeing the fall, and due to this, between the two scenarios (while both are equally degenerative) the chances are that the former will be more likely.

Think me and you might be thinking of the same, but we’ll leave that at that.

I think this is an issue with all reporting in general, and it goes way beyond the scope of something as simple as game releases. But I do see what you meant. The “equaling” of the reporting plain allowed both for more content, as well as less quality content per capita.

Sounded perfectly reasonable to me. I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Last November GBX invited about a thousand or so players into their Closed Technical Test, where they tested the servers under load and some early parts of the game. Those of us who participated can’t go into detail because it was a pre-beta build and things have changed since then and the open beta. Even though the story was basically half of a mission, I still enjoyed the hell out of it and couldn’t wait until the game was released. I haven’t looked back since.

4 Likes

I will say I agree with everything the OP said. There is way too much ranting and hating in these forums(it’s the internet what can you do “shrugs”). I will say one thing however and It’s that those who complain only really complain because they wanted to like the game but don’t for X or Y reasons that are usually pretty trivial(but everyone has their opinions). Myself being someone who is easily influenced by others see these posts and I try not to get swept along by them simple because: I love this game. It is honestly one of the most fun games I’ve played in a while. I honestly hope that people will stick around for it as It can only get better from here on. Closing off with an analogy most(?) people might not know. This game is like weathered weapons from the Monster hunter series. When you get them they aren’t that good but you know that they will be when you upgrade them. This however takes time(and many, many, many earth crystals) but the end result is something that kicks ass.

Just to clarify: DNF had a dev story worth of a book. GBX only finished the job 3DR wasn’t able.

Oh yes, yes, I must have deleted that line while writing. My bad. Basically I was saying that DNF failure wasn’t really on Gearbox : the game had an history longer than my… arm, and that vaporware mostly ended on GBX table. It was a poisoned apple, really. But people that do not look deeper than the surface will just read “DNF = Gearbox = crap”. Colonial Marines was a whole different story though, one we probably may not ever have all the keys to understand. Third party developement, money issues, delays because of all this, etc. ( kinda the same way that Rocksteady is blamed for the poor port of Arkham Knight, when they didn’t even had a hand in that )

I never got the ACM point to be honest, but I don’t think that’s worth to discuss :smiley:

Aside that, my good old friend Giu expressed the opinions about all the BB stuff has been happening lately. I have other stuff to tell about but mainly related with the treatment that we, the people from Latin America, get from devs and publishers.

I am quite sure that GBX probably wanted to do a LATAM version, but since 2K always ignore us…

Multi-party collaborations always worry me.

In anything.

I can tell you this much. Usually when you get multi-party collaborations on a new product in my industry, it is slightly skewed towards hitting gigantic speed bumps.

That isn’t to say long term partners. As I think Gearbox and 2K are actually great at notching up a nice assist-to-goal ratio with one another.

But I tend to judge companies more so by what they had a complete hand in creating. Some of my favorite directors for example, have produced absolute nonsense when they weren’t also given some say in other aspects of the film.

GEARBOX FOR PRESIDENT!! WOOO!!!

Well written piece! Having been a business owner myself I can also relate the points you have made.

I jumped all over BB when I saw it was a GBX/2k game like a lot of others, tried out the open beta, and preordered the digital deluxe edition. I have put my complaints regarding the character unlock key up here in the forums, but at no point did I ever doubt that my complaints were being ignored or unheard. The reason myself and so many others have that loyalty is because GBX are successful enough to develop fantastic games but are never to high’n’mighty to ignore their player base. We never have to question whether patches/updates are being made or that the community is being heard. We KNOW it. Whatever kinks BB has right now, it’s only a matter of time until they’re ironed out.

1 Like

Honestly, that is genuinely one of the complaints I totally sympathize with, completely understandable. I figured it would be released with Toby myself, but I just as easily suppose I could’ve thought the opposite. You know?

But, from what I know of Gearbox, they’ll find some way to remedy the issue. They’ve done it in the past for things which were in no way their fault.

Some of the smoothest multiplayer games I can think of, had to be ironed out so heavily over time. I think it is a lot like sampling in a scientific study. The more people you have doing it, the more you can understand the circumstances and come up with a conclusion.

Yeah, I had a friend over to try BB out after he missed the open beta. It was kind of hard to sell it to him, especially with the server issues here in AUS, but as I told him; give it 3-6 months and this game will be amazing. I’m committed to the long haul. I completely trust that GBX will do everything right by us that they can. As for the character unlock key, I was under the impression it was going to be available at release so I was pretty miffed about it during the first few days but it’s not that worrisome anymore. Plenty of other awesome stuff I’d rather have patched and updated!

@shinobido101

I’d be surprised if it took 3 months.

I wager after a few pit stops, this thing will look gleaming by mid June.

But, I do agree that major tactical overhauls will probably be done with roster updates.

1 Like

Side note: I like to imagine that this isn’t, in fact, on the net. People who act here in the way that is acceptable on other forms do get pulled up on that. I continually fail to understand why people who are given a voice here think that they’ll be listened to more if they are really rude. The opposite is the case. Passion for a game shouldn’t override basic manners. Disappointment a game, for whatever reason, doesn’t justify insulting the devs or other forum users who don’t share that view.

1 Like

I say 3-6 months with the vision of the dlc being released, all of the current issues fixed, and the player base to grow and have a better understanding of the game. A 100% fully polished successful game. The next few weeks we will see the patches and fixes, but I think it will still just be a matter of time before the game will truly establish itself.

1 Like

Well, I suppose all the DLCs and all things taken in to account would take some time.

Play styles following TTAODK were dramatically different for many users in BL2, so I get what you’re saying.

I’m certainly expecting huge changes before then though.

I felt the need to bring up the Battleplan which was released a few days back and make a few amendments to my above post. Well, more so supplements as opposed to ammendments.

• The idea of incremental change versus radical change.

I think the incremental changes that Gearbox have put in to place in the new patch adhere to logic. Many complain that “it isn’t enough”, but in the same breath there are those who claim it is too radical. What isn’t understood is that very often, developers are number crunching in order to come to a consensus, and this very rarely suits all play styles.

The sheer fact that there is a paradoxical argument between one side yelling “too much” and the other yelling “not enough” (save those who are content) goes to prove that the patches are doing their best to hit the golden mean.

This is a quest for balance.

1 Like