A very important message to all XBL and PSN users

I found this blog post on the internet. You should read it.

Sigh, this crap again?

Yes, It is happening again. I kid you not!

So they showed up on blogspot after their twitter account got whacked, did they?

What I don’t get is this claim that they’re DDoSing the game networks in order to demonstrate the companies’ weak security practices. A DDoS is not a security breach, just a data flood. Sure, it wouldn’t be possible if it weren’t for weak security elsewhere allowing botnets to be created (including routers and firewalls now :frowning: ), but that has nothing to do with the security of the game servers themselves.

sigh

Actually, Phasehacker is my blog. (I made the blog as a homeschool project on web design)
and I believe that their Twitter account is still up I think.

(I have NO connection to them in anyway whatsoever.)

I made the blog post to warn everyone. (Including my friends in real life who play online.)

Apologies - I assumed it was just them popping up whackamole style.

Im tired of these “hackers” ruining stuff, especially video game stuff.

I should get my other food pyramid mates to form a hacker group to fight against the hackers. Is that a thing, hackers fighting other hacker groups?

I found this article on one of the forums that I go onto:

Apparently there is another hacker group battling against the “Phantom Squad”.

Thanks for the article, i actually enjoyed reading. I find the logic of these hackers annoying, hacking them to make them stronger. Kinda like stabbing someone in the chest so they spend a few days in the hospital, and hope they recover stronger. Why are they being called vigilantes in the article anyways?

These so called “hacker” groups (and DDoS is not a hack, lol) should be treated as terrorists. IIRC, now defunct LizardSquad tweeted a bomb threat against an Airplane that a Sony executive was aboard. They also shutdown both Xbox Live and PSN is the past, basically for the LOLs. If this other group actually manages to shutdown Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, etc. over the Christmas Holiday, I sincerely hope they are located by the FBI or another US or even foreign government agency (example: Interpol). I honestly wouldn’t mind if one or two of those POS so called “hackers” were killed during a Raid. That might just send as message to other would be “hacker” groups that this sort of crap will not be tolerated any longer.

Forum ID: Poisd2Strike
GT: Poisd2Strike
Trades: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poisd2strikes-humble-shop/367700
Gun Prefixes | Gun Parts | Max Stats
Maya OP8 | Banshee RR / NRR | Binder | Cat | Nurse | Siren | Trickster B / M

2 Likes

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. What’s the point of shutting XBL and PSN down anyways? The fact that they consider DDoS a hack is just disappoints me, and gives hackers (the good ones out there) a bad name.

It is also very discouraging to note that one of the Lizard Sqaud members was arrested and convicted, in a Finnish court, of 50,700 charges and received no jail time, possibly due to his age which was 17 at the time. Had I been the judge and given the number of charges combined with his flippant attitude, I would have sentenced him to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Had I been his father or mother, I would have beaten the living ■■■■ out of him.

The article can be found here:

That’s an appalling thing to say. They may be anti-social and unpleasant pillocks, but that goes too far, I think.

I would agree as well, Psychichazard.

As frustrating as their actions may be to us all, wishing their death doesn’t substantiate whatever point was, or could be, made.

It is best to just wish they are captured and prosecuted to the full extent of the law, in my opinion. Not much more we can do than that.

Groups like the now defunct Lizard Squad and their “spiritual successor”, Phantom Squad, commit acts that negatively impact millions of people. They do so without remorse and will continue to do so unless and until they are stopped. They even have the audacity to blame the companies they DDoS (Sony and Microsoft), claiming that the companies are responsible because they should have better security against DDoS type attacks. That is like going into someone’s car, because the door is unlocked, stealing items and then blaming the car’s owner for not locking the car door.

Lizard Squad was and Phantom Squad is, in effect, a terrorist organization (albeit a cyber-terrorist organization) and should be treated as such. The only reason they are not taken as seriously as they should be is because they have chosen to focus primarily on the Gaming Industry. Hopefully they will get bored and or arrogant enough to attack an “important” target, such as the East Coast US Power Grid or a Chinese, Russian or even Israeli Nuclear Power Plant. Then, perhaps, they will be taken more seriously and treated like the actual terrorists that they are.

Apparently being prosecuted to the “fullest extent of the law” amounts to getting a slap on the wrist meaning no jail time (even though 3 years was sought), even after being convicted of 50,700 counts (no, that isn’t a type: 50,700 counts) and even after having been suspected in earlier cyber-crime incidents. You can find details in this Article, which is the same one I mentioned above.

Well, why not just extradite the miscreant to a US court for trial, since the attacks were done against Sony and Microsoft locations on US soil? The answer is, unfortunately, simple: Finnish Law prohibits extradition to the US. So, anyone who commits a serious act or multiple acts against a US citizen or Corporation, from Finland, only has to deal with the fairly weak Finnish Judicial system. I seriously doubt that will inspire a sense of dread or fear in any member of Phantom Squad, or any other cyber-terrorist group. If Phantom Squad is smart and have not done so already, they should all re-locate to Finland.

FYI, my parents are divorced and my former step-father and I never quite saw things “eye to eye”. But, the one thing he told me that has always stuck is the following:

“You can do whatever you want, until someone stops you”

Okay, they are clearly dickheads, but should we be arguing for the actual killing of people who ‘negatively impact’ others by affecting some non-life-dependant online gaming services? That’s quite a line to cross. Is it terrorism? I think it’s inconvenient, and annoying, and swatting is very unpleasant but terrorism? I don’t think so. If they were affecting…oh…I dunno…hospital or emergency services, then sure, harsher penalties, but…death? I can’t agree with that.

Okay, now I’m confused…You want them to do worse things so they get punished harder?

But that would mean them doing worse things, that might actually result in someone getting hurt.

Are you sure you mean that?

Im on both sides here. I agree that they need to be punished, and if it takes them doing something worse, then that’s what it takes. But i also agree with Psychic, we don’t want them to do worse. I think they government should’ve done something, instead of a slap on the wrist. Anything that happens as a result of letting them go free, is in part of who thought it would be a good idea to let him go free after all of those charges. Im not saying kill him, but some serious example needs to be made out of anyone caught, regardless if they are a minor or not.

I’ve got to admit, the Finnish penalty seemed a bit too lenient given the number of people affected by the DDoS. I for one was really glad not to be the parent of a smaller progeny with a new game to play requiring a download…

On the other hand, I don’t think going all US-style Guantanamo on them is a very good idea, either - more likely to leave them even more antisocial and bitter than they were to begin with.

I would be curious to know the effect of actually being caught, charged, and tried, had on those in the UK from last year. You tend to suspect, given their age, that there’s a certain amount of detachment (this ain’t real, it’s the internet) and invincibility (they’ll never catch me) behind it all; when that gets shattered, I wonder what happens next in the minds of these kids.

2 Likes

I want them to attempt to do something worse (preferably against China, Russia or Israel), which I have no doubt they would fail at miserably since they are not hackers but rather “script kiddies”. A DDoS is an attack, not a hack, and no company (not even Sony or Microsoft) can protect itself 100% against a DDoS attack. Phantom Sqaud is aware of this, yet still claims that a DDoS is justified because companies should have adequate security to prevent this sort of attack. If they did attack a more “serious” or “important” target, they would be taken more seriously then they are currently. If tried and convicted they would actually receive serious jail time (and not a 2 year probation without restrictions on computer access), which is what should have happened in the case of that POS 17 year old Finnish member of Lizard Squad.

At a minimum, given the number of people affected (millions over the 2014 Christmas Holiday, the number of counts he was charged with and convicted of - 50,700, his previous cyber-crime activities including the swatting incident you mentioned, his overall lack of remorse or concern for his victims, he should have been sentenced to 10 years in prison. A 10 year prison sentence would have at least sent a message to anyone who idolized him / looked up to him and may have served to discourage them from following in his footsteps. Instead, he was given a slap on the wrist and the people negatively impacted by his actions received a slap in the face. Now, Phantom Squad, some group called SkidNP and even Lizard Sqaud (apparently back from the dead and / or no longer content to lay low) are going to be working together to take Xbox Live and PSN (and who knows who else) offline for several days during the Christmas 2015 holiday. The article detailing the apparent cooperation between the three can be found here:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/lizard-squad-joins-in-on-the-psn-xbox-live-ddos-threats-3431330

Sadly, I fully expect Xbox Live and PSN to be down for several days due to their combined DDoS attacks. I also expect that they will face no serious consequences, even if they are caught, tried and convicted.

Which is why I hope they at least attempt (and fail) to attack Russia, China or Israel. None of those countries would allow them to simply receive a “slap on the wrist” like the Finnish justice system did. The KGB, whatever China’s KBG equivalent is called, and Israel’s Mossad don’t mess around.

Too lenient is an understatement. I feel sorry for people with small children who are getting a new Xbox or Sony gaming system this Christmas and a few games. Personally, I have enough other things I can do that I won’t be too put off by not being able to go online on Xbox Live or PSN. Sure, I will be justifiably pissed off like many other people. But, I can deal with it. Unless or until something serious is done to groups like Lizard Squad, Phantom Squad and SkidNP, this sort of thing will occur with greater frequency.