A Visual Guide to Hidden Loot Chests / Interactive PvE Maps

Having trouble looking for those hidden (or in some cases…not so hidden) loot chests in each story mission? Over the past couple of weeks I have been putting together information for as many of these lucrative chests as I could find and rather than making some static infographics, I felt it would be cool to go one step further (since you know…these are maps).

A big fan of the official Borderlands 2 / Prequel Map apps for mobile devices and all round love for in-depth guides for games I like to play. Hopefully people have as much fun with this as I had fun making it :wink:

Note: If you have visited my website before, it seems to be fairly stubborn with it’s caching so if you see a bunch of squiggly text just refresh the page again and it should forcibly refresh the page. If it doesn’t look like the screenshot below, let me know about it and try and provide as much information about your setup as possible…I also kinda built this for Google Chrome so I expect some teething issues with other browsers :sunglasses:

Here’s a preview.

To get the best experience, view it on a desktop computer as I haven’t done much in terms of mobile device optimisation at this point. Controls might also be a little iffy, and I recommend using the minimap in the bottom left hand corner to quickly jump to a location on the full map. You can also hold down the mouse button and drag around the minimap (as opposed to clicking) or drag the full map itself. The math is a bit off so it might not centre exactly in the middle of the screen.

If you know of other chest locations not included or can provide a better screenshot for some of the ones I have taken, feel free to post them in the discovery thread I created a couple of weeks back, which includes guidelines for what sort of screenshots I need.

I’ve also started adding other points of interest such as large Shard clusters and where bosses spawn, and I’m open to suggestions on what else this could be used for.

For now I’m taking a break and getting back to trying to figure out how ISIC is supposed to work as a playable character (I’m currently somewhere between Toby and Montana and taking lots of damage). That and Double Credits weekend whoo!!!

24 Likes

Man, this is AWESOME!

Duuuuuuuuuude… that website of yours is fantastic! I’ll definitely be keeping it bookmarked for a pocket guide while I’m playing :acmaffirmative:

1 Like

That’s the idea :wink: Although I need to do more work so stuff displays better on mobile devices, particularly tablets. When I play Destiny I always have my iPad on hand to move gear and stuff and I ideally want to end up with something similar for Battleborn.

Thank you. <3
This also makes it easier for me to see which chests you don’t have yet (the other post was getting confusing).

There’s one in Void’s Edge missing, on the lower level, left-hand ledge as you chase the Sentry during his crisis (and, I think I recall seeing one once on one of the other lower ledges, but I’ve been checking them every time since I first saw it and no dice)

In Renegade, first defense area left hand side immediately after walking in (so it’s on top of the ledge). In the third defense area, if you walk in the right hand route, it will be in the alcove directly ahead (aka the wall blocking the core). I also think I’ve seen it in the alcove on the left hand side as well.

In Experiment, third defense area, underneath the circular structure (you can see the circle blocked out in the middle of this structure on the map) in the alcove on the right - near the jump pad that takes you all the way to the defense objective for that area.
Same objective, you have to take the islands (north of the objective on this map) back - it’s on the second island, facing toward the main land/spawn.

you are doing the lords work here sir. Is this the loot chest that contains the small bonuses or the larger ones that contain gear?

1 Like

@NatsumeRyu If you click on the map, it should create a temporary pin marker. Screenshot where you think those chests are with that marker and post it here and I can use that as a placeholder until I get a spawn screenshot :wink:

@Masterblizak These are the large 6 slotted chests that will always have a piece of gear in them (if you click on them it will give you a screenshot and description on where they are). Doing all the lootables would be the lords work XD

Only placing markers for the ones I’m certain of :slight_smile:

[quote=“NatsumeRyu, post:5, topic:1527948”]
There’s one in Void’s Edge missing, on the lower level, left-hand ledge as you chase the Sentry during his crisis[/quote]

In Renegade, first defense area left hand side immediately after walking in (so it’s on top of the ledge). [/quote]

In the third defense area, if you walk in the right hand route, it will be in the alcove directly ahead (aka the wall blocking the core). I also think I’ve seen it in the alcove on the left hand side as well.[/quote]

In Experiment, third defense area, underneath the circular structure (you can see the circle blocked out in the middle of this structure on the map) in the alcove on the right - near the jump pad that takes you all the way to the defense objective for that area. [/quote]

Same objective, you have to take the islands (north of the objective on this map) back - it’s on the second island, facing toward the main land/spawn.[/quote]

edit: There’s one more I forgot about in Renegade! It’s in plain sight behind/off to the side from the second defense objective. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have my thumbs and upvotes!

This is amazing!

1 Like

the
lords
work
son…

1 Like

I’ve added all of these to the maps (again caching might require you to manually refresh to see the changes). I actually recall all but 2 of these I have actually seen myself at those locations and like you, I have not seen them spawn since I began trying to track them down. I’ve also highlighted these with the image icon so I remember to check these on my own runs and to show they are missing screenshots.

2 Likes

The Experiment:

• beside a square platform with two jump pads (those leading to second island);
  • right under the second defense point;
  • not far from the previous one - on the island’s shore.

https://i.imgsafe.org/e36826085c.jpg

2 Likes

Thanks @maskerader !
I’ve added these locations to the Experiment mission map with little “new” indicators like before until I can get a proper screenshot for each. Remember to refresh your cache to see the changes :sunglasses:

Well done this is phenominal work at first i didnt understand how to use it on my phone but then i figured it out and my word i was well impressed and overcome with a feeling of ‘this is the best app thing for battleborn ever!’

Keep up the good work.

Praise praise praise

1 Like

Gearbox! Boost this guy, he’s something something awesome for all of us.

3 Likes

Heh, it should actually be a rather poor experience on a mobile phone because I haven’t added touch events yet nor have I adjusted the UI to fit the smaller screen space. If you’ve figured out how to get it working though that’s great! But I do plan on improving the mobile experience in the future.

I like to develop in sprints and right now I’m taking a little break and getting some character progression playtime in (Benedict!!!), then I’m going to hopefully get gear sources added to the Gear Search app which hasn’t had an update in a while. After that, I’ll come back and sort out some of the issues with Maps such as mobile support and any other issues that come up as people start using it.

Update:

Replaced placeholder markers for buildables with their respective tier 1 icons and added their upgrade options to the modal window (see screenshot).

Added a bunch of hidden chest locations with credit going to @NatsumeRyu, @xxEvoLuTioNxx, and @malarkj. I also added step by step visual guides for the puzzle chests in The Sentinel.

Started adding boss screenshots as well as PvE buildables starting with Void’s Edge. I am probably going to take my time with this one because it takes a while to do and the last couple of characters I’ve done have all been very PvP focused so not a lot of PvE runs in the last week.

Removed map marker labels until I can come up with a cleaner way to display them.

3 Likes

This is amazing work my friend!

Update:
Replaced screenshot of Chest #14 in Void’s Edge with one where the chest spawned courtesy of @xxEvoLuTioNxx.

Added new chest location #12 to The Renegade with a spawn screenshot thanks to @malarkj. It looks like it can spawn in behind landing platform where you go to end the mission after killing Jailer Hylis (which I didn’t even know had a ledge there) :open_mouth:

You guys are awesome!

On a side note related to how chests spawn. It looks like they don’t spawn until after key objective points in the mission have been reached because I was running The Experiment the other day and got to the chest that sits up on the rock (Chest #3), before Boldur had finished talking about needing to go start up the backup power generator and the chest literally appeared right in front of me the moment the current objective changed over. So if you are searching for chests ahead of time, be aware you might have to progress the mission a little before they will actually spawn :wink:

3 Likes