A Visual Guide to How Gear Skills Affect Character Skills (aka Character Builder)

(thismayormaynotb) #71

Where’s Alani?

(lowlines - PS4) #72

This project relies heavily on the raw data that was mined from the PC version of the game. Currently, DLC characters are in-accessible to me meaning I’d have to manually build up their information and maintain it. Since I am still trying to get the other 25 characters working properly, adding Alani and Pendles is low on my priority list at this point in time. :sweat:

I do plan to get to them eventually though (fingers crossed the Gearbox devs change it so I can pull information on released DLC characters).

(lowlines - PS4) #73

Update: Discovered an issue with how I was exporting complex variable formulas that were using unused (garbage) variables instead of the correct ones (the joys of making sense of Unreal Engine data…). This seems to have fixed several skill descriptions that were displaying incorrect stat values. There could still be more errors to find, which I will try to fix as I update each character.

Added/Updated Gear Skill Icons for Ambra, Attikus and Benedict. More to come.

Notes:
Ambra’s Solar Wind skill is currently displaying a much higher base value (125) compared to the current in-game value (80), but Battleplan #12 says it was increased by 43%?? Anyone know if this was an error stated in the Battleplan and that the base value was reduced not increased? What was the base value before this hotfix?

Characters with shields (ie Galilea, Boldur, ISIC) seem to display the max possible blocking damage when you inspect their skills in the Command Menu. However you don’t actually get the full block damage unless you unlock the right augmentations such as Boldur’s “Deft Defender” at Level 3. Kind of misleading displaying max possible stats for some things and then have other stats that are relative to the current ExpLevel (which is zero when in the Command Menu).

(TitiShu) #74

Really Nice, i like how you are progressing.

Do you plan on adding gear’s stats effect to make it a skill damage calculator ? attack damage, attack speed, skill damage, crit damage, shield strenght (for kleese and deande), heatlh (for kelvin) etc…

As the character page have nearly all information do you also plan to add, the lore challenge, their legendary and the level to unlock mutation ?

I also felt like it was an error in the battleplan, if i remember well it was around 80 damage… and after the patch it was down. But now in the command menu it’s 80 damage.

So i think it was a stealth nerf or bug and they bring it back to normal. Like they did with El Dragon’s Health.

(lowlines - PS4) #75

Yep, the plan is to gradually turn this project into a fully fledged stats calculator! I already have a few of those other stats however the values don’t seem to match in-game values, so more testing is needed.

Other stats include:

• AttackPower
  • StandardBaseAttack01
  • StandardBaseAttack02
  • StandardBaseAttack03
  • FootSpeed
  • JumpHeight
  • FlightStamina (Benedict only)

All attack stats have a PerLevel increase stat much like the way MaxHealth works, but not all characters will have all of these, whether they inherit the global base value or it is because they don’t use it for calculating stats, I’m not sure yet.

Weapons also have a bunch of base values too but I’m not outputting them yet. I also want to include support items such as Sunspots, Holotwins and Energy Rifts which I think are treated as Enemies in the data.

Eventually I want to be able to specify a gear loadout too so you can fully simulate your stats at any given point. It will probably have a minimal UI that will have a simple Gear Picker that feeds off of the checked off gear you have selected from the Gear Search app.

As for other things. I want to try and keep the information I put up on my website as something you can incorporate into an app, as the Battleborn Wiki and MentalMars already house this type of information and I don’t want to overlap with that too much unless I am doing something different with the information. So if I were to do something with the Lore, it would be interactive and would probably have its own section. There was an off topic discussion in another thread about piecing together all the information into a structured encylopedia type thing but I probably don’t have the time right now to devote to something like that.

(lowlines - PS4) #76

Update:

• Added/Updated Gear Skills for Boldur, Caldarius and Deande, plus some minor changes to the previous 3 to make the icons more consistent.
  • Ambra’s Staff of Radiance when using “Ceremonial Sacrifice” or “Stellar Ritual” benefits from both Attack Damage and Heal Power when healing the target. This was tested and confirmed by @horrorshow22 (with input from @mor_dhonuts) in another thread about Ambra’s Healing abilities.
  • Adjusted Boldur’s Base Health Regeneration to match the Hotfix in Battleplan #12.
  • Changed references to Support Objects (I refer to them as Turrets) to reflect the active character, (ie “Sunspots” for Ambra, “Holotwin” for Deande)

Update 2:

• Added El Dragon, Galilea, and Ghalt

A few unknowns if anyone could elaborate on them further.

• Is there a limit to how many times El Dragon’s Momentum (R2) and Cut the Line (L9) can stack?
  • Is the bonus damage from Ghalt’s Tactical Rounds Attack Damage or Skill Damage?

(TitiShu) #77

On Deande there is something weird about both her lvl 2 helix

Base holotwin stat = 20% health and 25% damage

When you take the left helix (+50% damage) it becomes 50% but it should be 25%x50%=37.5% or 25%+50%=75%, no ?

When you take the right helix (+30% heatlh) it becomes 80% but it should be 20%x30%=26% or 20%+30%=50%, no ?

(lowlines - PS4) #78

Hmm, there’s definitely something up with the conditional logic at least from the perspective of the descriptions…

For Holotwin Health the logic is like this:

if (Aug_R2 == 1) HolotwinHealth = 0.5 + 0.3 * Aug_R2(1) = 80%
else HolotwinHealth = 0.2 + 0.3 * Aug_R2(0) = 20%

And for Holotwin Damage:

if (Aug_L2 == 1) HolotwinDamage = 0.5 = 50%
else HolotwinDamage = 0.25 = 25%

(lowlines - PS4) #79

Okay, so I started up 2 Hardcore PvE missions and took screenshots of the skills after applying both L2 and R2 augmentations.

All Safeties Off (L2) bumps Holotwin Damage up from 25% to 50% (the augmentation states +50%) - This one appears to be functioning the same as in-game despite the misleading descriptions.

Refined Emitters (R2) bumps Holotwin Health up from 20% to 50% (the augmentation states +30%) - My implementation on this one seems to be changing it to 80%. From what I can see, when the augmentation is set, it ignores the base value and adds 0.5 to 0.3. There’s obviously something wrong with how I’m interpreting the conditional logic :disappointed_relieved:

@scottv Is there perhaps an error happening with the Holotwin Skill Descriptions after applying said augmentations?

(lowlines - PS4) #80

Update:

• Cleaned up the OP a bit to better reflect the overall discussion of this thread. Split out DoT from CC (as I felt that was a little misleading) and tweaked some of the other CC descriptions.
  • Renamed the “Gear Skills” page to “Character Builder” to better describe what the page is for.
  • I am now dynamically building Resource Pools, which for the most part only had an effect on Kelvin who starts with 0/300 Max Shield and has a -20 Shield Recharge Rate due to the unique way he uses his shield.
  • More minor tweaks to Gear Skills, I’m still working through each character, but I’m doing them in blocks or 3 or so, so as not to get burnt out trying to fill them all out at once
  • I also have located a bunch of base stats for weapons and character specific abilities but due to some missing link I can’t pull them in dynamically. Will add these once I have adjusted my export scripts to account for them. This is stuff like Benedict’s base Rocket Projectile Damage, and values for each variation of things like Grenades and that. This will eventually get added as part of a “Weapons” section under Skills.

(TitiShu) #81

@lowlines Just found an other error :slight_smile:

On the Caldarius page, for the Flashbangs description you put the description of the “Flash Barrage” helix (L4)… even if you don’t select the helix

(lowlines - PS4) #82

Yeah it’s a bug in how I’m interpreting the conditional logic I pulled from the game that dictates what text is chosen for the skill description. Miko is another one where this is happening too for his Ult. My original assumption was that selecting a helix augmentation would produce a true or false result but apparently there’s a different value being returned as for example some of the conditions check for a value of 0.5 (this might be because internally helix choices are set up with the potential of having tiers much like buildables).

I’m in the process of fixing it, however I’ve been a little preoccupied lately so I’ve had to put it on hold until I have a chance to figure out what’s going on. I’m hoping to get a big chunk of work done on this on Saturday as I will have a 4 hour flight with no internet connection to keep me from getting distracted :sunglasses:

Which gear effects which abilities
(lowlines - PS4) #83

Update:

• Added Gear Skills for ISIC, Kelvin, Kleese, Marquis, Mellka, Miko, Montana, Orendi and Oscar Mike
  • Fleshed out the How to Guide with a sort of infographic table of icons (see screenshot for sample)
  • Added a bunch of more icons to cover things not really shown at a glance (ie reduced Activation Time, effects being applied while the Passive skill is active, etc)

Note: There was some styling changes I had to do for laying out the How to Guide, so be sure to refresh your cache before using it.

I haven’t gotten to figuring out what’s going on with the skill descriptions yet. But I plan to troubleshoot it once I’ve finished fleshing out all the gear skills, which I reckon needs to be renamed since covers a lot more than just skills that are found on gear.

While putting together this more fleshed out how to guide I realized that I’ve got quite a lot of different skill icons in there now. The idea behind it is being able to try and quantify what a given augmentation/skill does at a glance without having to read the description and getting all the terminology to match as it can vary character to character, or even between descriptions. Whether or not it has become too complicated, I’ll have to wait and see.

Once I have gone over all of them, I’m going to put up a list of things I’m not certain about or have found the descriptions to be bugged/incorrect (such as Deande’s L2/R2 augmentations).

Turns out best time to get work done, is on a plane where there is no internet or Battleborn to play to distract you :sweat_smile: On top of that, PS4 Remote Play isn’t working from my hotel, so I literally can’t play Battleborn even if I wanted to…

(lowlines - PS4) #84

Ok, time for a looooooooooooong overdue update on what I’ve been calling my “Character Builder”. :slight_smile:

This project has forever been that one thing I had a cool vision for, but just couldn’t quite get it the way I wanted it to and with the constant often weekly character balancing changes, it just made it even harder to return to it and try to fix a lot of the problems with it.

DLC characters were always going to be tricky since I don’t have access to the data for them. That still hasn’t changed, but now with Beatrix just around the corner, I think its time to do something about it.

The first issue was with the fact that because it has been so long, the structure of the data I generate for my website has changed and I hadn’t yet set it up to run automated updates whenever a patch dropped. I’ve mostly got this part working now however the stats listed on skills appear to be more broken than they were before * yay *. On the plus side, I can now manually add the base stats and static skills and helixes for DLC characters easily without having to run a full update for every single character!

I’ve done base stats for all 5 DLC characters, but I have so far only done up a static version of Alani’s Skills and Helix.

Since the Winter Update is coming very soon, there’s little point in going through now to fix all the stat errors, but at least now I am ready to run an automated update to apply anything that isn’t still being hotfixed in. :slight_smile:

This is just the beginning, I hope to put a bit of time into it in the near future and try and get the Character Builder back on track to where I actually wanted it to be months ago.

[edit]

Added static skills and helix for Pendles.

(RedX) #85

Thanks @lowlines

(30% more flak) #86

Question, do you have access to data from the DLC operations?

(lowlines - PS4) #87

Last 3 DLC characters added with some crappy photoshopping of the skill icons from screenshots. I’m missing a decent icon for her Outbreak Ultimate Skill so I’ve just put a “?” in its place. Ernest also has 1 helix on his tree with an icon I don’t have, so that has been “?” too.

Who do you have to thank for all this? 5 hours of flights… :sweat_smile:

Also Beatrix’s Skill stats are based on her Level 2 or 3 Helix screenshot because I did them on the plane when I had no internet and hadn’t saved down her skill screens beforehand >_> I’ll come back and fix these later, I just wanted to push this out before I go to bed. Doing a talk about games and APIs tomorrow morning. :sunglasses:

(lowlines - PS4) #88

Wow?? It has already been 3 weeks??

Just chucked up an automated update to the Character Builder, all 30 characters are now using game data instead of anything I have manually added. Definitely a bunch of errors with stats, but its going to take time to go through and check them all. I also need to go through the recent hotfixes and adjust values to match. Assuming the stats are correct, you should now be able to change the Helix Level and see the change in stats.

(lowlines - PS4) #89

Updates:

• Fixed an issue where attribute formulas that had a “ValueFormula” that did not explicitly indicate it was enabled were being included in the calculations, this should fix the majority of errors such as Max Shield being 301 or clearly broken HP and damage values.
  • Applied overrides for a bunch of hotfix changes (though not all of them)
  • Changed El Dragon’s Base Health (975 -> 980 at Level 1) - Battleplan #32
  • Changed Alani’s Riptide Cooldown (16s -> 20s) - Battleplan #32
  • Changed Benedict’s Base Health (983 -> 831 at Level 1) - Battleplan #34
  • Changed Galilea’s Base Shield Throw Damage (142 -> 97 at Level 1) - Battleplan #34
  • Changed Beatrix’s Base Health (1310 -> 1011 at Level 1) - Battleplan #37

I will look at adding more as I go through and check each character. Still trying to figure out the best way to “hotfix” the data to match in-game.

(lowlines - PS4) #90

More Updates:

• Fixed several issues with number formatting, affected augmentations:
  • Ambra L8 - Bask In The Light -+20% > -20%
  • Ambra R9 - Sweltering Wind +15.00% > +15%
  • Beatrix R6 - Long-Lasting 25% > -25%
  • Caldarius R3 - Overdrive +30.00% > +30%
  • Caldarius L7 - Adaptive Harmonics +18.0% > +18%
  • Caldarius L8 - Gravitic Amplifiers +15.00% > +15%
  • Galilea L9 - Defender’s Dare +15.00% > 15%
  • Kelvin L2 - Quick Bite +30.0% > +30%
  • KidUltra M10 - Friendly Skies -50.0% > -50%
  • Orendi R6 - Shadowfury - +15.00% > +15%
  • Orendi L7 - Force of Will +15.00% > +15%
  • Pendles R5 - Escape Plan 100.00% > 100%
  • Fixed an issue with disabled conditional logical being used in calculations, affected augmentation:
  • Oscar Mike R1 - Sneak Attack -184% > +16%
  • Added a default value for an unused Augmentation on Pendles that affected the display of L4 - Life Leech
  • Fixed an issue with Skills that have dynamic descriptions that change based on which helix choices you have selected, affected skills:
  • Kid Ultra - Bola Snare
  • Kid Ultra - Aura of Justice
  • Miko - Cloud of Spores
  • Miko - Fungus Among Us
  • Caldarius - Flash Bang
  • Oscar Mike - Frag Grenade
  • Oscar Mike - Airstrike
  • Boldur - Boldurdash
  • ISIC - Rotating Wards
  • Set “InstantHitDamage” to use the “Init_PlayerStandardAttack02_Damage_Part1”, affected:
  • Miko - A. mikollopria - Healing Beam
  • Added a special fix for El Dragon’s M8 “Unbelievable” mutation, which is meant to change the text on his “M-RBX Cybernetic Arms” skill to be a “Bicycle Kick” instead of a “Dropkick”. The skill was checking against a disabled augmentation called “Just Like That One Game, Brah”, which is basically a clone of the mutation.

Added hotfix changes for the following:

• Beatrix L2 - Leech Therapy +40% > +30%
  • Beatrix L3 - Bloodshot +75% > +50%
  • Beatrix R4 - Vitality Chirality +50% > +30%
  • Mellka L5 - Adrenaline Rush +7 > +14
  • Pendles M4 - Potent Venom +2 > +1
  • Mellka - Venom Canister - 4s > 8s
  • Pendles - Injection - Slow Duration 4s > 2s

Currently missing hotfix changes:

• El Dragon
  • Increased base max shield from 300 to 400
  • Increased the damage of the Power Fist augment’s combo finisher approximately 12% from 126 to 142 at level 3
  • Increased the amount of Health Regeneration granted by Hang Time from 84 to 112 HP over 4 seconds
  • Increased the primary attack damage from El Dragón’s passive “Undisputed Champ” from 1.5% to 2% per stack.
  • Mellka
  • Increased the base damage of her Custom Machine Pistol by 12% from 24 to 27 at level 1
  • Venom tick interval from once every .5 seconds to once every second
  • Reduced the damage of Mellka’s Venom DoT by 56% (from 18/tick to 6/tick at level 1)
  • Increased the damage of Mellka’s secondary melee combo by 30% (from 41 to 53 at level 1)
  • Ernest
  • Reduced the damage of Ernest’s UPR-G73 Grenade Launcher by 20% (from 125 to 100 at level 1)
  • Galilea
  • Reduced the damage of Galilea’s Greatsword primary attack by 22% (from 66 to 55 at level 1)
  • Decreased the growth rate of Corruption passive by 40%
  • Benedict
  • Reduced the damage of Benedict’s UPR-SM23 Rocket Launcher primary attack by 10% (from 211 to 190 at level 1)

Most of these aren’t currently displayed anywhere in the Character Builder. As far as I can tell, hotfix changes prior to Battleplan #32 were patched in with the Winter Update, so this is all that’s left to update.

Stuff that is still broken (note these values were captured from the Command Menu (aka at Level 0):

• Caldarius R10 - Aerial Barrage +80 > +81 // rounding
  • Kleese L3 - Chair Slam +198 > +160 // see below
  • Kleese R4 - Unstable Rifts +334 > +133 // error with command menu?
  • Kleese L8 - Brains Before Brawn +150 > +0 // error with command menu?
  • Kleese R10 - Square Root of Pain +334 > +133 // error with command menu?
  • Mellka L4 - Blade Ejection +200 > +50
  • Mellka M5 - Venom Contagion - // hidden
  • Oscar Mike L2 - Fagcendiary Grenade +487 > +328
  • Ambra - Solar Wind 125 > 85
  • Beatrix - Incistyx Injector 175% > 75%
  • Oscar Mike - Frag Grenade & Stealth Generator are flipped
  • Toby - Arc Mine & Force Fields are flipped

If you know of other display errors (ie when a particular augmentation gets applied to a skill) please report them so I can keep track of what still needs fixing.

[edit]

Also added Primary and Secondary base attack values which I’m not currently sure how they translate to actual attacks. base Movement speed is up too though some characters might not output it correctly.

[edit2]

Added “Jump Height” to the list of base stats, not sure what the scale is…

[edit3]

Looking at adding “Sprint Speed” however several characters don’t appear to have a value set (meaning they are using the default value).

?? SprintingPct: Beatrix, Mellka, Pendles and Deande
1.4 SprintingPct: Alani
1.6 SprintingPct: Ambra
1.5 SprintingPct: Everyone else

Anyone one to do sprint tests to determine what the default SprintingPct is? I’m leaning on it being 1.2…

[edit4]

Discovered that certain skills and augmentations had both an attribute and a formula property and my code was choosing the attribute property over the formula. I swapped these around and it fixed a bunch of things including ones I didn’t know were broken!

• Beatrix - Incistyx Injector 175% > 75%
  • Montana R4 - Firestorm 12 > 24
  • Kid Ultra - Weapon - Rocket Gauntlet (not yet being displayed)
  • Thorn - Blight - Cooldown Time (no visible change)
  • Oscar Mike L2 - Fagcendiary Grenade +487 > +328
  • Ambra - Solar Wind 125 > 85

Now all that’s left is a couple of issues with my old mate Kleese and then applying the rest of the hotfix changes, which seem to pair up with the Primary and Seconday Attack stats I started displaying and we shall have a super accurate up to date Character Builder! Whoo!!

[edit5]

Disabled the “addedCoefficient” for Kleese’s Chair Slam augmentation, which appears to have fixed the problem.

Added a bunch of the hotfix changes (see crossed out notes above).

By rights, the Character Builder should be pretty good now! :sunglasses: