Advice for Texturing?

Hey there!

So I’ll cut to the chase, I’m pretty confident in my Modeling and Animation skills, but I know nothing about Texturing. Anyone know a good place to start/learn how to texture?

Some great advice from the GBX dev scole in this post: [MOD] REARM V2 WIP thread

1 Like

Best way to learn is to pick one of you favourite meshes and texture it. Preferably one that is pretty blocky, round shapes can be a pain. First step is to UVMap the mesh, do a Google search for any tutorials for what ever 3D app you’re using. Than you create the textures, again a quick google search for tutorials for your paint app should get you a good amount of info.

Very close study of existing textures you like can be invaluable too… and trying to recreate details from those textures is very helpful skill-building.

Thanks! Yeah I’ve seen other people suggest that too, especially when creating new ships that are planned to belong in the existing factions.

So what is the… “Order of Operations” I guess? Like, do you/is it suggested to create the textures in a painting program (such as GIMP or Photoshop)? Or do you texture your objects in programs such as Mudbox or Zbrush? For the most part, I think I’m asking for how people tend to do it specifically for Homeworld.

“Usual” process would be creating the diffuse and normal maps either from a high poly object bake or “by hand” in Photoshop.

My LEGO ships don’t require too much in the way of texturing but I did record some videos of the process, and it’s broadly applicable to most assets for Homeworld.

1 Like

This is one of the most helpful things I have read on this, aside from @Pouk and @Kragle giving me specific advice on my actual work… I suggest you read this before doing anything else:

2 Likes