Alani DLC: Time and Tides

Anyone who has interacted with me me about stuff I’d like the see added to the game will probably know that one of the things I’d like to see the most is a DLC for Alani (who is my bae).

For those that aren’t really lore hounds, I suggest you read this. It’s a major element of Alani’s backstory (imo, the single most important one) and, in my mind, references one of the most heartbreaking and simultaneously badass events in all of BB. It also happens to be the event around which my proposed DLC is framed.

I’ve got 2 narratives planned for it. The first is the actual in game narrative, in which the players/BB actually play through the events of the Boiling of Akopos; the second is an overarching narrative across multiple playthroughs.

The first narrative is pretty simple:

• The mission begins in an isolated cove (the one specifically mentioned in Alani’s Time Blurs in the Depths)
  • Shortly thereafter, a Jennerit ship appears and unloads a bunch of thralls that must be defeated
  • The players they steal the Jennerit ship which takes them to Jennerit Capital Ship
  • The players clear out the loading bay
  • The players then witness the Boiling from safety of the loading bay
  • The players attempt to stop the Boiling by wreaking havoc through the ship, killing Thralls, Jennerit, and Silent Sisters while Ambra speaks to them over the intercom
  • The players fight their way to the bridge and blow open the doors before fighting Ambra
  • When defeated, Ambra disappears and escapes on a ship that has been prepared

The second narrative is a bit more complex (I don’t have every single playthrough planned out), since it involves a lot of different BB and, first, figuring out who created the holo (Alani, who isn’t tech savvy enough to have done it particularly well nor did she properly tag it or make it private) followed by Alani dealing with her emotions over losing her home planet (with assistance from Galilea) and culminating in an actual apology from Ambra.

• First, Phoebe and El Dragon are shown the program by Nova since they want to find a beach holo (for a beach party) that wasn’t designed by Kleese (since Kleese would include various dirty old man things). Nova has no clue who designed the holo (since it wasn’t signed and there are no comments in the code) but it was obviously done by an amateur (she actually has to fix various programmatic things during the run because it wasn’t done correctly)
  • Then WF takes Deande on a romantic beach date (it was recommended to him by El Dragon, who explicitly told him to just use the map and not to trigger the scenario). They start their date and the scenario is triggered automatically (when Nova “fixed” the trigger, she made it automatic) and they run through the scenario and WF is kind of awestruck at the casual extermination of an entire native population for something as trivial as drinking water and the offhanded way that Deande seems to dismiss it as “war” and “blaming it on Rendain” (WF keeps telling her that you can’t just blame Rendain for everything; the Jennerit have to share responsibility). There is a bit of friction between the two that is solved when Deande agrees to investigate what happened.
  • Deande figures out that it was Ambra that was in charge of the Meistar when it was “lost in battle” and takes her along on a run to ask her about it. Ambra really doesn’t want to talk about it or provide relevant details and regularly complains about the dialogue not being real. In the end, right as Ambra is about to tell Deande that it was obvious Alani that wrote it, Alani comes in, looking to hang out and discovered Ambra and Deande. Alani explodes in anger (both at people messing around with her private holo as well as because Ambra is in there*) and ends up breaking the holodeck.
  • Nova manages to repair and reboot the holodeck and notices that Alani is still inside as the holo begins runs. Alani runs solo, talking to Nova as she goes through, giving her own commentary and explaining what happened and getting extremely emotional and breaking down in tears whenever she watches her planet get boiled and, for reasons she doesn’t express yet, crying at the end.
  • Deande has been asked by Ghalt, who is worried about Alani, to go in and talk to Alani about the events that transpired. Alani does not react well to Deande, especially since Deande insists on blaming Rendain for what happened. In the end, Alani is still extremely upset and Deande decides that someone else needs to come talk to Alani.
  • Thorn is asked by Deande to speak to Alani (since Thorn also lost her planet; Thorn actually wonders why Deande didn’t instead ask Mellka but she owed Deande a favor so here she is). Thorn admits that Alani has some very legitimate reasons to be angry and attempts (in vain) to counsel Alani to control her anger and put it to a useful purpose. Alani brings up how Thorn never even knew her home planet since it was Darkened immediately after she was born and Thorn is stymied.
  • Mellka is brought in by Thorn to counsel Alani (since Mellka lost her planet as well as her parents as a child). It’s slightly more effective but Alani is still extremely angry, mostly because, Mellka at least knew her parents and both of her cultures still exist, even if her home planet is gone. Alani specifically mentions being a Helician.
  • Galilea is convinced by Mellka to go and talk to Alani (since Galilea is a full blooded Helician and Mellka knows that Alani already feels a connection with Gal). Gal discusses Helician culture and psychology with Alani and they also bond over hating Ambra. Galilea admits that Alani has a better reason to hate Ambra than even she does but counsels Alani to consider things from Ambra’s perspective, to which Alani says that she has been and that’s why she hates herself so much: she blames Ambra for everything but knows that Ambra wasn’t really the one truly at fault but she just can’t let go, especially since Ambra won’t even express any remorse over everything she did. Furthermore, Alani had the chance to kill Ambra but she let her go in order because she didn’t want to die (Ambra set up the Meistar so that it would explode, killing them both, if Ambra died).
  • Galilea manages to convince Ambra to join the herself and Alani on a run to see everything from Alani’s perspective. Ambra and Alani share with each other what happened from their own perspectives and, eventually, Galilea manages to convince Ambra to accept some responsibility for what happened (by herself admitting to the pain she caused Ambra in betraying her) and Ambra finally apologizes to Alani, who finally shows signs of being able to get over everything that happened.

As I finish writing up scripts for the playthroughs, I’ll include them here.

[details=Play 1: Phoebe, El Dragon]

Section 1: Secluded Cove, Akopos

Nova (ops shpiel)

Phoebe: Is this it? It’s a nice beach, but is that all? They seem to have forgotten to include lights of any kind.

Nova: You asked for a beach program that Kleese didn’t program. This was the only one I could find, though it wasn’t easy to find. Let me bring the lights up a bit.

Phoebe: Well, this was interesting for about 5 seconds. I’m bored now.

El Dragon: El Dragon concurs. The water does nothing; there is no danger.

Nova: Well, there is a scenario attached. It is unnamed and undescribed so I have no idea what it entails. Would you like me to activate it?

El Dragon: Mystery scenario on the beach? Yes, please!

Phoebe: Anything would be better than this.

(Jennerit attack ship appears and Jennerit begin attacking)

Phoebe: Is that a Jennerit ship? Are they attacking us?

El Dragon: It is! They are! Let the fun begin! EL DRAGOOOOOON!

(after defeating all Jennerit)

Phoebe: What do we do now? Was that it?

El Dragon: Do it again!

Nova: Oh, you defeated them all. Let me take care of that. This seems to have been programmed by someone who didn’t really know what they were doing.

(Mission progresses and changes to “Steal Jennerit Ship”)

Phoebe: We’re stealing it? How exciting! Hostile takeovers are so bracing!

(after entering the ship; doors close and ship begins shaking)

Phoebe: We don’t seem to have taken off but are incapable of controlling our destination. I do hope we don’t die.

El Dragon: Do not worry! I’m here to protect you!

(a few seconds later, the doors open to…)

Section 2: Meistar, Jennerit Capital Ship

(ship is inside a large open hangar with a large opening exposing it to space, covered by a force field, like the Millenium Falcon inside the Death Star in Star Wars: A New Hope; Jennerit troops are mulling about the place)

(Mission progresses to “Explore Capital Ship”; Jennerit troops start attacking as soon as you leave)

Phoebe: Why are they attacking us?

El Dragon: Well, we did steal a ship and stow away.

Phoebe: Not on purpose!

(After clearing out the Jennerit troops)

El Dragon: This view is amazing! Almost as amazing as I am!

(Mission progresses to “take a view”; player must stand near the forcefield)

Phoebe: It’s beautiful. Ocean planets like that are so rare.

El Dragon: If you look closely you can even see some settlements! Little twinkly lights!

(The ship shakes and a massive column of fire descends from the ship to planet; possibly done as a cutscene)

Phoebe: Dear me! What are they doing?

Nova: The program subroutine for this is called “Boil”.

Phoebe: They’re boiling a populated planet? Despicable!

El Dragon: I am sad. Is there anything we can do?

Phoebe: I can’t figure out how to operate the ship. Perhaps we can find a way to stop it further inside?

El Dragon: We must! This is terrible! We shall be heroes and saviours!

(Mission progresses to “Stop the Boiling” and “Break down the doors”; the doors must be attacked to progress, which changes to “Get to the bridge”)

(after breaking down the doors, a group of Silent Sisters appears and must be defeated; players progress through the ship, fighting Jennerit as well as many other Silent Sisters)

Silent Sister (over intercom; in robotic voice): This is (static), ranking priestess of the Capital Ship Meistar and I demand that you cease your attack!

Phoebe: Is that Ambra?

El Dragon: Maybe?

Nova: Wow. Whoever did this was terrible. Let me clean up these voice files. It’s like they just used the basic print commands. They didn’t even give her a name in the files.

Silent Sister (over intercom; clean voice): Your attack is pointless! You cannot stop what is happening to your planet.

(later, after killing more Sisters)

Silent Sister: Hmm. You’re surprisingly good at this. I think my troops need reinforcements. Sisters, attack!

(after killing more of them)

Silent Sister: That’s somewhat distressing. Is there anything I can do to get you to stop killing everyone?

El Dragon: You could stop boiling the planet!

Silent Sister: Oh, we already stopped. But only because we finished boiling it. Does that count?

Phoebe and El Dragon: No!

El Dragon: I’m going to rip you to pieces!

Silent Sister: Oh dear.

(after killing more and getting to the bridge door)

Silent Sister: I’ve closed and locked the door! You can’t get to me! I’ve had a ship prepared for you. If you leave now, we’ll call it a draw. That sound fair?

Phoebe: You boiled an entire populated planet!

Silent Sister: I get the feeling that you’re not willing to be reasonable about all this.

El Dragon: EL DRAGOOON!

(Mission requires destroying the door to the bridge; final fight begins)

Silent Sister (during the fight): Alright, fine. You can have the Meistar. How about you let me take the ship I prepared and flee? We’ll still call it a draw.

Phoebe and El Dragon: No!

(When Silent Sister is defeated, she disappears)

El Dragon: Where did she go?

Phoebe: According to the display, the ship that was prepared just launched and has a single occupant. A Jennerit Silent Sister.

El Dragon: How did she get away? I’m confused.[/details]

[details=Play 2: Deande, Whiskey Foxtrot]

Play 2:

Nova (ops shpiel)

Deande: Well, this is absolutely beautiful. so serene and peaceful.

WF: Yeah, I should really think El Dragon for recommending it. I kind of want to go get my sketchpad to start drawing it.

Deande (flirtatiously): Do you want a model?

WF: Nova, what the hell? I though the scenario wasn’t active! This is ruining my mojo!

Nova: Whoops. My bad. It looks like it’s triggered automatically now. The coding is just absolutely terrible

Deande: Looks like we’ll just have to enjoy our date in a more… violent way than you intended!

Deande: Bracing!

Nova: That’s what Phoebe said!

Deande: Excuse me?

Nova: Nothing.

WF: Awesome! I haven’t stolen one of these ships in weeks!

Deande: Excuse me, the Rogues have been at peace with the Jennerit Empire for months now. What were you doing stealing a Jennerit troop transport?

WF: Staying in practice?

WF: The controls do nothing. Is it just on auto-pilot?

Deande: As far as I know, this model of ship doesn’t even have an auto-pilot.

Nova: Don’t blame me. I didn’t make this.

(ship is inside a large open hangar with a large opening exposing it to space, covered by a force field, like the Millenium Falcon inside the Death Star in Star Wars: A New Hope; Jennerit troops are mulling about the place)

Deande: This looks like a Capital Ship.

WF: This’ll be the biggest ship I ever stole!

Deande: This isn’t real.

WF: Still counts.

Deande and Nova: No, it doesn’t.

(Mission progresses to “Explore Capital Ship”; Jennerit troops start attacking as soon as you leave)

WF: WHOO! I LOVE KILLING JENNERIT!

Deande: You know I love you, but I find it somewhat disconcerting that you enjoy killing my own people so much.

WF (obviously trying to mince words): I wasn’t done yet. Um. Uh. I, uh, meant to say “Woo, I love killing Jennerit… traitors?”

Deande: Nice try.

Deande: This view is quite romantic and awe inspiring.

WF: Hell yeah.

(The ship shakes and a massive column of fire descends from the ship to planet; possibly done as a cutscene)

WF: What the hell?

Deande (calmly): It’s a Silent Sister ritual. Normally, it’s used to ablate rocky planets to expose heavy metals in the core. It seems they’re using it here to boil the ocean planet.

WF: What? It’s a populated planet! You can see cities!

Deande: It’s a rather elegant solution that minimizes loss of life. Better than a long drawn out fight.

WF: Are you serious? Why are they killing everyone?

Deande: It looks like this ship is attached to a reservoir fleet so… drinking water?

WF: Genocide for drinking water? Really? Talk about “Any Deed, Any Price”. Disgusting. I can’t watch this any more.

Deande: We don’t do it any more!

(Mission progresses to “Stop the Boiling” and “Break down the doors”; the doors must be attacked to progress, which changes to “Get to the bridge”)

WF: Wait, we can stop this? Hells yeah!

Deande (under her breath): Don’t get your hopes up…

(after breaking down the doors, a group of Silent Sisters appears and must be defeated; players progress through the ship, fighting Jennerit as well as many other Silent Sisters)

Silent Sister (over intercom): This is (static), ranking priestess of the Capital Ship Meistar and I demand that you cease your attack!

WF: Lady, I’m gonna rip off your arms and beat you to death with them!

Deande (quietly): The Meistar? Interesting…

Silent Sister (over intercom): Your attack is pointless! You cannot stop what is happening to your planet.

WF: Screw that!

Deande: Dear, don’t get so invested. It’s only a holo.

WF: You didn’t say that to Attikus!

Deande: Well, I wanted him to see things my perspective. You don’t even know what planet this is.

WF: Do you?

Deande: Not off of the top of my head. This wasn’t really a major event.

WF: The hell is wrong with you Jennerit that boiling and entire planet for drinking water isn’t a major event?

Deande: It’s war. Terrible things happen.

WF: I was built to be a living weapon. I know war. I know it’s terrible, but that doesn’t mean that you’re allowed to be so blase about it!

Deande: But we didn’t do it! Rendain ordered it! It was Rendain’s fault!

WF: I hear you Jennerit say that a lot any time you’ve done something terrible. Was Rendain even here?

Deande: No, I don’t believe so.

WF: So whoever is commanding this ship made an explicit decision to boil a populated planet. Even if Rendain ordered it, they still share responsibility. It’s a soldier’s duty to refuse to obey an immoral or unethical order and, if they choose to follow it, they’re still culpable. Even Mike understands that! Haven’t you ever read Lenore’s “Discourses on Morality in the Age of Immortality”?

Deande: It’s been a while…

WF: You sicken me…

Deande: Whu… But…

Silent Sister: Hmm. You’re surprisingly good at this. I think my troops need reinforcements. Sisters, attack!

Deande: Whiskey, I’m sorry.

WF: No can do babe. I’m upset now. And busy. Killing fake Jennerit. And feeling good about it.

Silent Sister: That’s somewhat distressing. Is there anything I can do to get you to stop killing everyone?

WF: Nope!

Deande: Is there anything I can do to take care of this?

Silent Sister: I’ve closed and locked the door! You can’t get to me! I’ve had a ship prepared for you. If you leave now, we’ll call it a draw. That
sound fair?

Silent Sister (during the fight): Alright, fine. You can have the Meistar. How about you let me take the ship I prepared and flee? We’ll still call it a draw.

WF: Find out who that Silent Sister we just killed was. I want her to suffer in real life.

Deande: I have an idea who it might be, but alright. You probably won’t like who the answer is.[/details]

[details=Play 3: Deande, Ambra]Play 3: Deande, Ambra

Nova (ops shpiel)

Ambra: This is nice.

Deande: Do you recognize it?

Ambra: I don’t recall it in the slightest. Some ocean planet or another? The night air is quite bracing.

Nova: Why does everyone keep saying that?

Deande: Say what?

Nova: Nevermind.

Deande: This holo was created by someone on the ship to recreate a Jennerit attack.

Ambra: Obviously.

Deande: Do you have any idea who might have made it?

Ambra: That was enjoyable. In wonder what happens next?

Deande: I have a feeling you know exactly what happens next…

Ambra: These ships are so mundane. Boring.

Deande: Are you simply ignoring me or seriously attempting to change the topic of conversation to how the troop drop ships are decorated?

Ambra: Maybe some rugs or tapestries…

Deande: You can’t avoid talking about it forever.

Ambra: This looks extremely familiar.

Deande: It should. It was your ship at the time. This is the Meistar.

Ambra: Impossible! I made sure the loading docks were kept spotless!

Deande: Ambra, come over here. I want you to look at this.

Ambra: I’m busy at the moment. Cleaning up this mess!

Deande: Ambra, come over and look at this.

Ambra: Busy!

Deande: This is showing something you did! I know that you were in command of this ship at the time! You must have some clue as to who on this ship created this program!

Ambra: Yes, I did do an excellent job cleaning that mess up! It looks spectacular now!

Deande: Now you’re just pushing incredulity.

Silent Sister (over intercom): This is (static), ranking priestess of the Capital Ship Meistar and I demand that you cease your attack!

Ambra: Excuse me? I do not sound like that!

Deande: So you admit that this is you!

Ambra: I said no such thing! Lies! Calumny and lies! My voice is nowhere near that shrill! (it’s the same exact voice)

Silent Sister: Your attack is pointless! You cannot stop what is happening to your planet.

Ambra: I said no such thing!

Deande: What did you say?

Ambra: (beat) I don’t recall. But it wasn’t that!

Ambra: I would never call them “troops”! This is a travesty!

Ambra: I would never plead like that!

Silent Sister: I’ve closed and locked the door! You can’t get to me! I’ve had a ship prepared for you. If you leave now, we’ll call it a draw. That sound fair?

Deande: Nothing to say?

Ambra: I’m trying to find the exit. This is despicable. An utter fiction! I would never lock myself away from a fight like that! Specious lies! A false history! That girl is just trying to villainize me!

Deande: So you do know who wrote it?

Ambra: I said no such thing!

Ambra: AHG! I have pride! I would never flee my ship for fear of my own life. I am deeply insulted by this! DEEPLY!

Deande: So the charade is obviously over. Are you ready to tell me who wrote this?

Ambra: You’re the spymistress! The loss of the Meistar and the events that occurred on planet 627.88 were not state secrets of any kind. You shouldn’t have to ask me who created this farce is! The girl is on this ship!

Deande: I only know the details that showed up in the reports you provided. Which were disturbingly short on details.

Ambra: Fine. It was that pitiful little whelp Al-

Alani: Hey, what’s going on here? Who’s here? I got an automated alert that I was needed on the holodeck. What are you guys running here? Wait a sec. I recognize this program. It’s my holoprogram. My private holoprogram. Is that Deande? And AMBRA? AMBRA! GET OUT! BOTH OF YOU GET OUT! NOW!

AAAAUUUGH!!

(the sound of a torrential wave happens, followed by Ambra and Deande screaming, stuff crashing and breaking, and visuals going static-y)[/details]

[details=Play 4: Alani]Play 4: Alani

Nova (ops shpiel)

Nova: That should do it. Oh, you’re still in here. How much of that water is tears and how much is your normal moistness?

Alani (morose): Hi, Nova. Sorry for breaking the holodeck. I lost my temper.

Nova: That’s okay. You should have seen what I had to get this place working again after Attikus spent the weekend inside. (beat) So you created this?

Alani: Yes. I was starting to forget what Akopos looked like and needed to remind myself. I started with this cove because it’s where I always went when the elders told me I was being too emotional and needed to calm down. It’s also where I was right before… it happened.

Nova: Gah! I thought I paused that! Stupid terrible code. (beat) Whoops. I forgot for a second that you programmed this.

Alani: It’s fine. We didn’t really play around with computers in the monastery so I was just kind of fumbling around.

Nova: I’ve got no clue how that code still activates and I live in here! I’m literally looking at it and holding it in my digital hands. I’ve changed it and moved it, but it keeps activating! What did you do?

Alani: Uhh…

Nova: So why were you here when the Jennerit attacked?

Alani: Oh, I was with the rest of the Emulan monks when the Jennerit first started attacking, and I helped fight, too. I was a bit… zealous, though, so they got worried and told me I wasn’t allowed to join them in attacking the weird pylon things that were sucking up the oceans. Master Sev-Ahn Dys told me to come here and wait it out.

Nova: So you came here, were attacked by a wandering Jennerit patrol, and then disobeyed and stole their ship?

Alani: What? I wanted to help! (sadly) And, besides, if I hadn’t, I would have died along with the rest of them…

Nova: How did you know how to fly the ship when you stole it?

Alani: I never said I did. It was a much rockier flight in real life. Honestly, I’m surprised they even allowed me on board. I guess it didn’t occur to them that one of us could take their ship.

Alani: When I finally landed…

Nova (interrupting): You mean “crashed”.

Alani: This is my story! Anyways, when I finally landed inside, I started fighting.

Nova: And then?

Nova: Alani?

Nova: Ala—

Alani (angry and grief stricken): I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT! (starting to cry) JUST SKIP IT!

Nova: You seem to be taking this kind of seriously.

Alani (angrily): It is serious! They boiled my family! My friends! My home! My EVERYTHING! SO I WAS GOING TO TAKE EVERYTHING FROM THEM THAT I COULD!

Silent Sister: Your attack is pointless! You cannot stop what is happening to your planet.

Alani (angrily): RAAAAHH!!!

Alani (angrily): I will drown them all!

Alani (breathing heavily, transitioning from anger to sadness): I wanted her dead. I wanted them all dead.

Nova: That’s what you did, wasn’t it? You allowed her to leave?

(Alani crying)

Nova: Was it something I said?[/details]

25 Likes

That’s simply amazing, I’d love to see that actually become a thing in game, keep 'em coming !

2 Likes

This is a great idea and I really love what you’re doing here. I kind of disagree that Alani could ever forgive Ambra though. It was genocide, and whether or not it was on Rendain’s orders, Ambra went through with it. To me that makes her one of the most despicable of the Battleborn.

I don’t think anything short of the end of the universe would cause Alani to work with her.

[quote=“Genericktag, post:3, topic:1554183, full:true”]I kind of disagree that Alani could ever forgive Ambra though. It was genocide, and whether or not it was on Rendain’s orders, Ambra went through with it. To me that makes her one of the most despicable of the Battleborn.
[/quote]

Well, I don’t see it as quite as simple as Alani totally forgiving Ambra just because she apologized though I don’t think that Alani would bear a grudge forever, especially if someone shows genuine contrition (which I would expect Ambra to show), even if it’s for killing everyone she knew.

I see this for 2 reasons. Alani’s own lore states that “the sea lives on in the members of my order” so, as long as she’s still around, everyone she knew and loved isn’t truly dead; furthermore, there’s a lot of Zen/Buddhism influence in the Emulan Order, which I really think she takes to heart (she might not always live by it, but she always tries, which is all that can be asked). I’m thinking of quotes like “Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die”, “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”, and other similar quotes. Alani doesn’t want to hate anyone.

This is also one of the reasons why Alani is so deeply upset. She wants to forgive Ambra because that’s what she was raised to do (this, combined with her own fear of death and desire to keep her order going, is why she allowed Ambra to live), but she can’t because she’s just so angry. It’s only when Ambra stops trying to avoid responsibility and accepts it, explaining that everything she does now is to make up for all of the terrible things that she did in the past, that Alani can finally begin to move on.

This is also why Galilea is so important to Alani’s recovery as well. Galilea is able to actual explain that Alani’s emotional reaction is natural; she was raised by alien monks, who had years of experience in controlling their emotions and (in my mind) were not as prone to extremes of emotion as others might have been. But Gal, as a Helician, can tell her that Helicians are the exact opposite; that her difficulty in controlling her emotions is a racial thing, not something that’s wrong with her. This allows her to come to peace with her emotions and let go of the anger within herself.

3 Likes

slow claps

Great work! Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

I’ve always taken the purpose of Operations literally: they’re about forcing characters to dig into painful truths for their own good (a pun so bad I’ve even been hiding it from @Jythri). Alani, I think, is a prime candidate, but then again I’m biased.

6 Likes

I feel like she may be just as interested in discovering how the Ray works before destroying it. Just in general. This seems slightly out of character, like she’d comment before this

Doesn’t he usually refer to himself as El Dragõn?

Ah yes, good

As was the rest of it. Amazing job. Can’t wait for the rest

Hey you made the jump! Hello!

… this is the girl that gleefully yells “F**k your sandcastle!” I’m not sure how zen that is

Hello writer! Love your work haha (guess there’s a reason I’m here?)

I did make the jump, yay ! Finally some would say but hey I’m here now so whatever right ?

2 Likes

[quote=“epicender584, post:7, topic:1554183, full:true”]
I feel like she may be just as interested in discovering how the Ray works before destroying it. Just in general. This seems slightly out of character, like she’d comment before this[/quote]

I didn’t include something like this for 2 reasons.

First off, Phoebe already looked at the jump ship and saw that it was basically programmed as a facade. Everything in the holo is hollow and fake because Alani doesn’t actually know enough about it (or programming) to program anything resembling something that would function in reality; they’re all just shells. Phoebe would know this and, at best, I could see her wondering how it was done as opposed to “how are they doing this?”.

Secondly, there are some things so jarring and utterly despicable that that elicit an emotional response of outrage so strong that it trumps normal concerns. Phoebe is an engineer, but she’s, first and foremost, also a human being with empathy. Cruelty and destruction on the level that was used to lay waste to Akopos is exactly that kind of thing (in my mind). I think even ISIC would find it somewhat off-putting.

One of the major concepts that I really want to get across is that most of the BB were ignorant (whether willfully or not) of the truly despicable and callous things that were done by the Jennerit Imperium. “Any Deed, Any Price” is not something that good guys say and living by that motto will lead to some extremely terrible things happening.

Lol. As I stated earlier, she doesn’t always live the zen life, but she wants and tries to. She’s not an ancient monk who has mastered control of her emotions. She’s a teenage girl (and a Helician one at that) with a tragic backstory.

1 Like

“Any deed, any price.”

There’s a reason Ambra starts out every conversation with Ghalt reiterating that she’ll only talk to him so long as he doesn’t try to make her answer for her war crimes.

I don’t buy into the fact that before Rendain, every Jennerit was a loyal lover of Lenore, either. You don’t build up a classist society like that and face zero pushback.

Can you tell I’m not a big Ambra fan?

1 Like

Check out Play 2 that I just put up :stuck_out_tongue:

I enjoy playing her but, as a character, I think she’s monstrous: she’s complicit in some absolutely terrible things but refuses to take any responsibility and just blame it on Rendain (which all of the Jennerit seem to want to do). Changing sides doesn’t change the past and I really want to see Ambra own up to (and express remorse for) a lot of what she did.

1 Like

It’s interesting you put this up, because I’m actually in the middle of writing a fanfic that’s going to explore this kind of thing too. It’s sort of about how I think the Jennerit population would be split on the idea of Deande taking over after Rendain’s defeat and putting all of her people into the top spots in the Empire.

2 Likes

Literally the only thing I disagree with lol

But seriously this is awesome, and ambra always denies everything and I agree, she is sort of a monster who can’t take responsibility for what’s she done, and if anyone knows people that can’t handle the truth of the things they have done, it really does make you think of them worse

And by the way, it was great what attikus says to ambra in the thrall rebellion

I think your overall summary of the proposed DLC Operation is really, really cool, and I kind of had an emotional response as I read through it and imagining it play out in my head. :heart:

I think your chapter dialogue could probably do with a few more revisions though, just to give it that extra kick! The tricky part about writing for established characters is asking yourself whether you can visualize that character saying exactly what you wrote and if you can’t easily make the jump as a reader, then the dialogue probably needs a little more tweaking and sometimes its just a matter of choosing a different way to word something or breaking up sentences for more impact etc.

Since you are focusing on characters that are typically under utilised for driving the story that probably makes it harder too since we only really have their lores and the callouts they do in game, which may not give us a complete picture of how they’d react in a given situation.

My favourite section out of what you’ve posted so far…

Really nice back and forth between them!

At the same time though, the majority of Jennerit “troops” are going to be Thrall right? Jennerit Elite are typically saved to be bosses. Deande is going to have more reason than anyone else to be inclusive of Thralls as being part of the Jennerit faction, but I don’t reckon it carries the same weight when she says it since the Thralls have been a slave race to the Jennerit Empire. If Whiskey was killing characters with a similar level of status as Deande and making out he was enjoying it, THAT would definitely make Deande uneasy.

For playthrough 3, I sort of imagine Ambra reacting a little differently when faced with an interpretation of her own events and having Deande there. Considering how she talked about it to Ghalt (in Another Million and We’re Even), I reckon she wouldn’t try to be so defensive about it with Deande as she was in awe of Alani’s rage like it was a turning point for her. Also doesn’t she give Alani a red ribbon from her cloak? That’s seems pretty significant to me. :thinking:

Wouldn’t this be a great opportunity to make a Dark Link reference here? Alani would have been in rage mode after the boiling of the planet event, and all the Thralls could turn into colourless blurs with red eyes to show she was just so upset that her vision had become warped with rage. Also Dark Ambra, could be like the 85 Ops skin for all characters. :heart_eyes:

Anyway keep it up! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[quote=“lowlines, post:14, topic:1554183, full:true”]
At the same time though, the majority of Jennerit “troops” are going to be Thrall right?[/quote]

Well, based upon Alani’s lore and Ambra’s own words, Ambra’s “entire retinue” was killed so I expect there to be a lot of actual Jennerit in the form of Silent Sisters, not just Thralls. I imagine a large number of nameless copies of Cabaletta and/or weaker versions of Ambra-as-a-boss (which I imagine as a pumped up Ambra bot with some other fancy tactics) amidst the hordes of Thralls that are be slaughtered. I would want at least 1 Silent Sister in every group of enemies fought on the Meistar (which is when that exchange happens).

[quote]
For playthrough 3, I sort of imagine Ambra reacting a little differently when faced with an interpretation of her own events and having Deande there. Considering how she talked about it to Ghalt (in Another Million and We’re Even), I reckon she wouldn’t try to be so defensive about it with Deande as she was in awe of Alani’s rage like it was a turning point for her.[/quote]

I imagined Ambra as obviously being uncomfortable and not wanting to talk about it. Ambra only starts referencing the events taking place when she realizes that someone else is directing the narrative in a way that directly contradicts her own telling.

As to her being “in awe of Alani’s rage”, my actual plan is for Ambra to actually have been extremely afraid (since she’s 11k years old and holy crap a kid is killing everyone on my ship and coming to kill me and stands a reasonable chance of doing so I really don’t want to die) and to have legitimately begged and pleaded for her life. Neither story is exactly true: Ambra’s story to Ghalt downplays her own vulnerabilities and weaknesses and absolutely refuses to admit to having been genuinely terrified for her own life (i.e. she was lying when she said “even though I knew I could defeat her”) while Alani’s is a simplistic recollection of the general gist of what happened tinged by her own self loathing.

In later playthroughs (the next one I’ll write, in fact), you’ll learn that Ambra didn’t “give” Alani the ribbon from her cloak at all. Alani took it when she allowed Ambra to crawl away as a reminder to herself of who was responsible for all of this. Ambra reframes the event to avoid the appearance of weakness.

To me, there is a very big disconnect between the behaviors that Ambra engages in and Ambra’s general personality and retelling. Ambra is extremely proud, very interested in appearances and propriety, and, in the Alani lore challenge, is able to control the perception of things because she’s the only one telling the story (and not providing many details either). Ambra isn’t going to tell Ghalt, of all people, that she pleaded for her life and only barely got away, nor is she going to include it in her report to Rendain/Deande. The only people that Ambra could possible be honest with about this are Alani (because Alani was actually there and witnessed it) and Galilea (because they have a history).

I definitely want to avoid large scale graphical effects like that. Like the “noir” graphical overlay for the Thrall Ops that tinges everything black/white/red, they seem nice for 1-2 runs through but rapidly become extremely annoying, bordering on unenjoyable. The closest I’d get would be a taunt for Alani that gives her an also Galilea like transformation.

Just gotta point out that while I know you like this interpretation of the event, there’s in-game dialogue to suggest the lore is literally true and Ambra did give the ribbon to Alani - Alani has an Ambra call-out something along the lines of “no backsies on the ribbon.”

(I mean, I could have misheard it or dreamt it or something, and I’m the last person to care about what’s canon, but just wanted to be annoying and mention it :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Re-skins.

[quote=“EdenSophia, post:16, topic:1554183, full:true”]Just gotta point out that while I know you like this interpretation of the event, there’s in-game dialogue to suggest the lore is literally true and Ambra did give the ribbon to Alani - Alani has an Ambra call-out something along the lines of “no backsies on the ribbon.”
[/quote]

I need to find a list of the Alani lines to listen to then, so I can hear it. The tone can indicate a lot. If it’s playful instead of angry, that just really doesn’t work for their backstory in the slightest (it would be like someone read that single line from the lore entry and completely ignored everything else). If it’s vindictive or angry, I could see it as being something of a taunt (e.g. “I took this from you and let you live. You’re not getting it back.”). Of course, a lot of the PvP lines are less than completely canon from a story perspective (just consider all of the X character fighting X character stuff) and I think the devs have admitted that PvP itself isn’t actually canon either.

The full line is “You said no backsies on the ribbon!”, which triggers when Alani gets a kill on Ambra. But ever since Sam said that Oscar Mike’s kittens were holograms, I don’t know what to believe. @muchmorereal is this a “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” situation? Has the universe just RUN OUT of cats, thus putting a premium on dank new cat gifs?

Really enjoying these so far, thanks for taking the time to write it all! I am especially looking forward to how you handle the interactions between Galilea, Ambra and Alani.