Alani is now trash

I was gone for a while from the game, I don’t know how much things have changed but I noticed Alani now being so much weaker, slower and just not as useful as she used to be.

It takes forever to gather power in order to be a viable healer on top of that, all of her abilities have extremely long cooldowns which means shes just spitting water bolts all the time.

She is one of my favorite characters, but now shes not fun to play, at all.

(Gligar35) #2

She’s still OP late game. I still main her even though she got nerfed a couple of times

Maybe its my lack of play time, but I honestly found myself getting killed easily quite often. The fact that shes so slow and weak just adds to her not being fun to play anymore.

I remember when she came out people complained about her being too strong and I agreed, but now shes underpowered completely.

(Penguin connoisseur.) #4

Were you last on when she was stupidly OP after she released? Because then i can see how you would think she’s trash now…

She’s literally perfectly balanced right now, and i still see plenty of good Alani players saving their teammates, while simultaneously harassing the enemy team. Definitely not the best healer, but a good overall character nonetheless.

4 Likes
(Lynxwolfe same screen name on everything) #5

I agree wholeheartedly. She is going to be less viable when Beatrix is around though.

(Keadron) #6

Hardly perfectly balanced. Skill cooldown nerf wasn’t warranted, helix still need fixed, etc.

1 Like

I was in a match against Beatrix and Thorn, got sniped and I that DOT she has would just drop my health so quickly I barely had time to heal myself and my teammates.

As far as I know, there is no way to clear out DOT effects like Beatrix has.

(Gligar35) #8

Like I said before she’s OP when she hits level 7 where every hit with your primary reduces your skills by .5 seconds. Her riptide can be really good once you give a slow augment. She’s more of a lane pusher than a killer. Remember she’s technically a healer so you’re necessarily have to kill everyone you see. But she can keep herself in a fight because she can heal herself.

Plus, her taunts are the best. Who doesn’t like to dab :sunglasses:

1 Like

I stopped playing around the time the first extra operation came out, but I stopped playing competitively because it was so difficult to find other players I gave up (this is on PS4).

I like her design and how she plays, but what I liked about her originally was her speed, she feels slow, sluggish now and her ability cooldowns are way too high.

I have an ingame friend that does amazing with Alani. Not only in saving me countless of times but also in obtaining a lot of killls.

(Awesome By Analysis) #12

Well, depending upon how long it’s been since you last played, a lot has changed.

Alani’s hp has dropped precipitously (she’s got only marginally more hp than Mellka, who has the lowest TTK in the game), her Geyser has been dramatically shrunk and the duration shortened to 1 sec, and Riptide’s damage has been reduced (especially damage via Wave Shock) and the CD extended. Her base attack speed was also reduced but her attack damage was increased; also, they finally gave her a normal sprint speed so that she’s actually got a faster move speed than she used to.

While it’s not explicitly a “nerf”, they also reordered and changed a number of her helices, most significantly moving the 20% attack speed/.5 sec CD reduction on a Torrent hit down to level 7 from level 3 (and swapping in the old level 7s to level 3). It made level 3 a much more balanced helix but really hurt her early game performance.

Alani’s been hit pretty hard. The Riptide nerf that happened a month ago really hurt her early and mid-game performance without significantly impacting her late-game performance (if you take GwtF; if you take Whitewater, you’ll still feel it).

Worst, in my opinion, is Bea’s ridiculously easy method of wounding targets at range. Afaik, there isn’t a visual indicator for when you’ve been wounded so it’s pretty easy to waste a 3 stack Wellspring heal and get pretty much nothing out of it because you didn’t know you were wounded.

With Bea around, I’m definitely not feeling confident with Alani. She used to survive by being able to self heal (and avoided wounds because they were almost all melee), but, with copious numbers of Beas around, it’s almost like your heals don’t matter at all.

2 Likes
(PSN:Santbech_2038) #13

I understand your feeling. She is strong healer but not the op, cc, wave cleaner machine she used to be.

Her skills brings a lot of cc and her dmg is huge.
Minions are a good source of stacks.
Squishies can be healed with two stacks.
Riptide use it to save your assasins giving them an easy escape.
If you have trouble landing geysers consider right lvl1 to heal yourself.
Her basic attack is amazing.

(free HUGS) #14

Take kinetic diffusion at level 3 and you’ll be zipping around the map. I know you lose the speed buff when you heal but you can get your stacks back up so fast with her bolts, especially if you build out with AS gear. And yeah, go with the flow synergizes very well with this playstyle. Alani is far from trash

(Keadron) #15

The latter is actually a balance issue as the problem with the helix was cause by nerfs and the nothing done to fix them. Yes you can take a helix to reduce cooldowns at level 7 however that should have been addressed rather than the cooldown as it forces that choice of helix

1 Like

[quote=“Kitru, post:12, topic:1554766, full:true”]With Bea around, I’m definitely not feeling confident with Alani. She used to survive by being able to self heal (and avoided wounds because they were almost all melee), but, with copious numbers of Beas around, it’s almost like your heals don’t matter at all.
[/quote]

Ive felt this in several matches actually. Im not calling for her to be as OP as she used to when she launched, but sadly when it comes to games with classes or different heroes to balance out, its always tricky and a perfect balance is hard to achieve.

I just don’t like how she plays or feels anymore, slow, sluggish, very high cooldowns and the constant need to hit enemies in order to be a viable healer means you have to be in the frontline rather than on the back in order to actually do something.

(free HUGS) #17

If you see her red light shining at you and you are taking dot ticks, you can be pretty assured Beatrix is wounding you. That red light has actually been my saving grace the last few days when trying to avoid being wounded by Bea. Now if there was just some way to know you’re about to get hawkeyed by Benedict :weary:

(free HUGS) #18

that’s actually almost exactly how gearbox envisioned / intended the character to be played, based on their comments and descriptions of her

2 Likes
(Ambra's Arbiter) #20

She’s actually faster

She’s a bit weaker but still very strong. The general opinion seems to be with her strength is at the perfect point. Her level 2? Not so much

(Awesome By Analysis) #21

[quote=“Avelier, post:16, topic:1554766, full:true”]I just don’t like how she plays or feels anymore, slow, sluggish, very high cooldowns and the constant need to hit enemies in order to be a viable healer means you have to be in the frontline rather than on the back in order to actually do something.
[/quote]

I think part of my problem is that Alani is, due to all of the nerfs, now such a late game character and, at least in my most recent experiences in PvP, the current PvP meta doesn’t really allow for late game characters to flourish since matches tend to end very quickly. Alani’s damage is pretty terrible until level 4 (Wave Shock) and only really starts being able to dominate at level 7 (Whitewater or GwtF) and 9 (Stagnant Pools). Even with a buildable driven loadout, I have issues getting to level 4 before the game is more than half over. It doesn’t help that CC meta + Bea’s wounding = dead, since Alani is just so squishy and can’t offset her terrible hp if she’s wounded (and her movement speed is still low so there’s no chance of escaping).

Of course, the groups I’ve been with haven’t really done anything to protect me while I try to heal and I keep getting matched up against 5 man pre-mades using CC-meta comps (with allies that either don’t know characters or insist on using terrible comps), so I can’t be absolutely sure if my recent experiences are based upon Alani or based upon other factors, which is somewhat discomfiting.

Still, I’m primarily a PvE player, and she’s still a total death machine there (especially with a newly buffed Bola’s) so it doesn’t affect me too much.

1 Like
(Keadron) #22

The other choice in no way strengthens her skills it is for her basic attack. There is no reduce cooldown or strengthen skills choice. Are you sure you are familiar with the character

1 Like