All Borderlands updated?

Why did BL1 , 2 and TPS all get updated the past week? What did I miss? (September 2021)

1 Like

Wonderlands ad.

1 Like

Borderlands updates now amount to nothing more than malware.

4 Likes

Wow. Simply untrue

Is that true? Has anybody seen it?

1 Like

Well, that extra line on left is not bad, but that banner is just wrong. And I guess the only way to get rid of it is to pre-order the game in digital like it was with BL3 or wait till launch.

Is it the same in TPS?

At least in BL3 it’s only in News section.

LoL… Is it a dlc or some joke?

It’s a new game coming out March 25th.

@Matrixneo42 - despite getting the same updates, I’m not seeing the ad or menu item. Are you still on OG XB1 like me, or did you upgrade?

1 Like

Any software whose only purpose is to push ads to my computer is malware. Particularly when it hijacks an otherwise benevolent mechanism like games auto-updating to install itself.

This is literally all that these updates are. Malware.

2 Likes

I opened up BL2 and didn’t spot it, but maybe I missed it. I was looking for an image along the right so I may have missed a menu item.

Adware maybe. But not really.

Here is the definition of malware: software that is specifically designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system.

adware: software that automatically displays or downloads advertising material (often unwanted) when a user is online.

However, traditionally adware is a lot more obtrusive. Like when you go to a website and an ad window or frame pops up blocking your view of the article. Or when adware runs on a computer directly, you might get a random window open on your computer that advertises software/websites.

I feel no harm in seeing a menu item and an image at the borderlands main menu. A) People who played BL2 especially are likely to be interested in Tiny Tinas Wonderland. B) it’s a game literally made by the same company and storywise related by at least 2 characters in Borderlands.

And there is no point complaining about this behavior when we have much bigger issues to complain about. An example would be when you’re playing rocket league and if see banners for Halo Infinite plastered along the stadium walls. Games have been doing that for a while and sometimes it’s funny. Usually it’s 4th wall breaking in a bad way.

But even that isn’t a really big deal. My biggest gripe is when games come out half baked. It’s made me especially cautious about preordering any video game. That said, I still preorder any borderlands game and also will preorder Tiny Tinas Wonderland.

Adware is a type of malware. Targeting ads to people who are more likely to be interested doesn’t make it any less malware, nor does the existence of worse examples.

It’s a shame because I was really looking forward to Wonderlands but now will not be buying it.

1 Like

It is not malware. We just went through this.

I guess you can miss out on a great looking game for a lame reason. Your loss.

It is malware. We just went through this.

I guess you can continue to support awful developer practices for an easy dopamine release. Everyone’s loss.

1 Like

Closed due to pantomime theatrics.

(And no, a simple ad is not malware although it is annoying…)