Alternative Hero Classifications

As adorably quirky as the hero classifications on BB are, they’re not particularly useful. I’ve been seeing more and more new players on PS4 of late, and I know that when I started last November, reading the descriptions of the characters did me little good.

In order to help new players figure out which characters they’d like to play, I’ve come up with new character descriptors. These are mostly inspired by the super-hero RPG Champions, and so they will be somewhat familiar to people who have played City of Heroes or Champions Online. I welcome suggestions for modified descriptions, and would like everyone to speak up on where they feel their favourite character belongs.

Tough: The Big Guy. A tough’s job is to occupy space and keep enemies off of their friends’ backs. Their main characteristic is survivability, either through damage resistance or high health. A Tough’s damage output is secondary to their ability to get into a fight and stay there.

Blaster: The Bomb, The Cannon. A Blaster’s job is to kill things at range. Blasters will have high damage output, but generally low survivability. They will generally have some way to get out of combat quickly, like flight, high speed or high manoeuvrability. Blasters have lower defences than most characters.

Brawler: The Scrapper, The Assassin. A Brawler’s job is to kill things up close. Brawlers will have high damage output at short range, but little to no ability to fight from a distance. Brawlers can be assassin-type characters that rely on stealth, or martial artists who rely on speed or skill to win. They will have better defences than a Blaster, but less than a Tough. Brawlers should not expect to be able to hold the line without significant support.

Healer: The Doc, Mr. Fix-it. A healer’s job is to keep friends in the fight by healing their health. Healers will usually have very limited offence. Defence will usually be moderate, but not enough to be able to fight alone for very long. Healers sometime have secondary enhancement powers, control powers or can heal status effects.

Controller: Captain Chaos; the Disruptor. A controller’s job is to weaken and channel enemies through powers that trap, move, or penalise foes in some way. A controllers damage output will usually be moderate, and survivability may be fairly low. Controllers will usually have secondary Blaster or Healer abilities.

Enhancer: The Helper; The Gadget Guy. An Enhancer supports the team by increasing the effectiveness of friendly characters. Their powers could increase allies’ damage, health, defence, movement or skill refresh, but will not usually affect enemies directly. Enhancers will generally have decent survivability and offensive potential, but not excel at any one field. Secondary healing powers are common.

Battleborn by Class:

Toughs - Boldur, Kelvin, Montana, Shayne and Aurox, Attikus, Ghalt
Blasters - Thorn, Caldarius, Oscar Mike, Benedict, Marquis, ISIC, Toby, Orendi, Whiskey Foxtrot
Brawlers - Mellka, Deande, Rath, Phoebe, El Dragon, Galilea, Pendles
Healers - Miko
Controllers - Alani, Beatrix, Ambra, Ernest
Enhancers - Kleese, Kid Ultra, Reyna

Characters in italics are difficult to type, as helix choices can drastically change their play style and abilities.

1 Like

Quoting Ambra after she read this: What nerve!

1 Like

Phoebe is a brick image

1 Like

While I agree that the classifications are off quite a bit for a lot of characters, I think it’d be simplifying too much to arrange them by one individual class. Going by your classifications, I think both Kelvin and Ghalt should be listed under Controller rather than Brick.

The two things I’d like for the classifications to be improved upon are the difficulty level and more accurate tags.

It’s somewhat absurd to me that Attikus is classified as Easy, even though he might very well be one of the most difficult characters to use well to most players. In the same sense, Galilea and Ernest who are both relatively effortless characters are both classified as Complex. I think it would, for the most part, be better id they simply left out the difficulty level overall as players have different preferences. Some find it easy to use those who are classified as Advanced (Benedict, Beatrix, Marquis etc.) more so than those who are classified as Easy (Attikus, Miko, Rath etc.).

As for the classifications themselves, it should be clarified in-game as to what the classifications mean. Another thing, and the main thing, would be for the classifications to better represent the characters and how they play.

Take ISIC for instance, his classifications are Disruptor and Tank. At the moment, he virtually plays as neither of those roles. More appropriate classifications would be Sniper and Territorial, which would give him the same classifications as Marquis. So in this case specifically, I think ISIC either needs a rework a better suit his current classifications and intended design, or aimply change the classifications and go with how the community at large plays him.

Another example is Miko, whose classifications are Combat and Healer. Now, him being tagged as a Healer may be one of the most accurate classifications in the game, but Combat is a non-factor for his gameplay and also really vague. After all, a good Miko barely focuses too much on combat itself as he’s busy healing. It simply seems to be a placeholder if anything else. They couldn’t come up with a 2nd appropriate classification for him, so they just put Combat there to fill it out. I think the currently most appropriate classification instead of Combat for Miko would be Controller, which would get him the same classifications as Alani,

Then you have a character like Whiskey Foxtrot whose classifications are Versatile and Assassin. And while he’s arguably an assassin, he’s certainly not versatile as Whiskey may have one of the most locked playstyles and/or limited capabilites to change his gameplay through his helixes.

So while I’d like to see an overhaul to the classifications (or certain characters to make them along the lines of the current classifications), I think it’d be too simplifying to put them into classes as such. It’d be strange to consider Miko to be the only healer for instance, or Beatrix not being an enhancer.

Imma have to agree with that. As a player who has dealt first hand with a brick pheobe I an say for certain she definitely took dmg, survived, made me focus her out of sheer anger at her hp and her ability to give out dmg like boldur. More of a Boldur 2.0 imo…

1 Like

There’s certainly a case to be made for BB having a primary and secondary classification. Both Ghalt and Kelvin have controller-like abilities. Ghalt was placed in the Brick class because his helices trend heavily toward survivability and lane control, but he could certainly be reclassified. Kelvin is almost entirely about survival, though. Ice wall is a great power for controlling a lane, but that’s not what makes Kelvin awesome. The ability to take 4 Shadowfire Pillars to the face and then turn into an ice ball and escape is. Classic brick.

Phoebe, however, I would insist is a brawler. You can make her tough, yes. Her play style is still almost purely “teleport in, drop a eff-ton of melee-range damage, teleport out.” The difference between a Brick and a Brawler isn’t in how long they can survive, it’s in why they’re there. Phoebe exists to kill. Montana exists to stop people from getting to your healers/sentry.

Every character has a primary role and a secondary role. If they didn’t, they’d be a crappy, underpowered character. (This could explain why GBX won’t leave Mellka alone. She was never truly a brawler or a blaster, and they’re trying to make her one or the other?) In looking at the helix options, skills and stats of a BB, the role should be clear. If it’s not, the BB needs design work.[quote=“lemuren97, post:4, topic:1557152”]
Take ISIC for instance, his classifications are Disruptor and Tank. At the moment, he virtually plays as neither of those roles.
[/quote]My entire reason for starting this thread. I played ISIC for 12 levels as a Brick and couldn’t figure out why he sucked SOOOOO badly. It took a convo on these threads to realise that he’s not a Brick. As a Blaster, he excels.

A controller is a CC king, that’s pretty simple to me, and my definition of that will never change. And Ambra is a healer, not a controller.

Shouldn’t, by that definition, Beatrix be an Enhancer?

Also, Brawler is just, IMO, not a good name for that. A Brawler’s role in most games is to outlast enemies or have enough survivability to stay in the fight for a long time. Not just a tank, though – tanks can be focused down quickly. Brawlers are typically a bit squishier but do more damage and are quicker.

I very much disagree with this, he is probably the most versatile gun user in the game, as he can fill the roles of a pusher, sniper, assassin and even harrasser. He also has superior self sustain to most other characters of a similar role, having no need for a healer to stay in lane and topped up. He does not have enough health to tank or enough CC to be a disruptor, and he does lack an escape ability, but he is still extremely versatile.

On the topic at hand, I do have a vague memory of the devs mentioning that the Easy, Complex, Advanced tags aren’t referencing ease of use but something about synergy with kit and helices or whatever. They definitely should add explanations to the definitions in-game, they are of no use if they are to be interpreted by everyone on their own.

2 Likes

You forgot the “Badass” class. Population:

#TOBY AND BERG!!

Uh… And Ms. Valeria! Sorry for forgetting you, Boss! Please don’t hate me! I’M SORRY!!

Build her helix’s right and she can be incredibly hard to kill.

1 Like

She’s definitely a hybrid. I placed her based on the fact that she has a pushback attack, an AoE with optional debuff/DoT and a main skill that doubles as a heal and a DoT. Also, most people play her aggressively. I can certainly move her to Healer if Ambra mains think she’s more powerful there. Ambra’s not a character I have much time in.

Maybe? I’ll admit, it’s the same story here as for Ambra. I don’t play Beatrix, so I based it on other people’s play style and examining her helix and skills.[quote=“reliikki, post:8, topic:1557152”]
the Easy, Complex, Advanced tags aren’t referencing ease of use but something about synergy with kit and helices or whatever.
[/quote]

This is true. The website explains this, but it’s nowhere in the actual game. Easy means there’s little overlap and synergy between helix choices, Advanced means that the helix builds on earlier choices, and the character plays very differently with different choices made.

EVERY BB is a member of the Badass class! :wink:

I understand that giving heroes a single type fails to reflect the nuance many BB have. I’m OK with that, since my goal was to help new players understand what their favourite hero should be doing. As they play more and gain experience and understanding, they’ll see the alternatives for themselves. The “flavour” traits like Adorable are fine for humour value; this is more so that we can have a list on the forums for newbs to look at and say “I wanna play a controller, who’s my best bet” or 'Why the f@£k does ISIC die 15 times every game! I thought he was a f£$$%@ TANK!!!"

I’m going to go back and edit the OP with Ambra, Trixie and Ghalt being in more than one class (or maybe “hard to type”).

P.S. Also, thanks to all who have contributed suggestions. Not only will doing this hopefully help some new players settle in faster, and maybe stick around longer, it’s making me think more deeply about the game and learn.

P.P.S. I find it interesting that no one has protested my placing Galilea in the Brawler class rather than the Brick class. Something for the design team to consider… :grin:

I think the problem might be that there aren’t many characters that fit snugly into a certain box. For the game itself, this is a good thing, but it does defy a strict classification system.

For example … classifying Rath is difficult at best. He doesn’t really fit the definition of a “brawler”, since two of his three skills are long-range, even if he isn’t using a gun. The majority of his skills and helix options are focused on adding or modifying the properties and crowd control functionality of his skills - changing/adding stuns, slows, silences, and knock-up, but you could just select the +damage option on most of them and leave a lot of that utility by the wayside. And while others might not have this level of differentiation - characters like El Dragon and Montana can also find themselves swinging between additional damage or additional CC, enough to make a big impact on their gameplay.

I agree both that many of the BB have overlap between multiple roles, and that this is good for the game. For most of the characters, though, the overlap enhances their primary role rather than changes their play style. Rate, for instance, will never be a “sit back and shoot” character, regardless of his skills and the helix options. If my team had a Rath who just ran in, popped CC and ran away, I’d be pissed (as would most players). Rath’s controller functions serve the purpose of setting opponents up to be killed, by him, in melee. Therefore, he’s a Brawler.

If I was aiming to get GBX to adopt my system and replace the current descriptors, I would certainly want each BB to have two descriptors, primary and secondary, like Brawler and Controller for Rath or Brick and Brawler for Attikus/Boldur. Right now, I’m just trying to get a set up that stops new players (or old players with new characters) from making mistakes like trying to tank with ISIC or choosing Beatrix and expecting to be a primary healer. Once I feel like that’s been settled, I will expand the list to include secondary play styles for each BB.

why would you want boldur to be changed from tank to brick, brick just means tank

I changed from Tank to Brick because in most online games a Tank is someone who has the ability to draw aggro. No one in BB can actually force enemies to target them, so people coming from outside BB can be confused. It doesn’t matter that much; Tank works just as well (even though in real life tanks are highly vulnerable to both close-combat attacks and area-denial attacks).

In Military terms Tank is well understood, Brick is moving thru the enemy at break neck speed.
Tank is for pushing.
Brick is intended for massive fast damage.

A tank doesn’t necessarily have to have the ability to draw aggro like a taunt skill. They just soak up a lot of damage and have medium-high CC to protect their team. The drawback is low speed and low damage for themselves. Also a big target.

Only if you have the right equipment

In battleborn (the matches), besides a select few they don’t really have weaponry to take down a real tank easily (besides maybe benedict)

True. In the OP I mentioned that I chose the names using Champions as my initial starting point. In that system, a Brick is any character that relies primarily on toughness. The amount and type of damage they do is secondary to the extreme levels of survivability they pack. Using the term Tank to mean the same thing is fine, I just felt like the term Tank in coop gaming implies that the player is actively attracting damage in order to protect the team. Since you can’t do that in BB, I was looking for a term that better incorporated the idea behind heroes like Boldur and Montana, so new players wouldn’t freak out when they realised they have no provoke skills, or that even though ISIC has multiple energy shields, you shouldn’t expect him to walk in front of the minion wave to shield them from harm…

In order to short circuit the argument about tank vs. brick, I’ve gone back and changed the class name to *Tough. So, does anyone have any objections left to the way the heroes are grouped, rather than their class name?

Boldur begs to differ. image

1 Like