Am I wasting my time?

I’m mostly playing Moze, single player. The 1st 2 or 3 main bosses were not bad, I got past them with just about the amount of effort and time I would expect. But Captain Traunt was a majot pain, I died oever and over, until I went broke. I grinded out several more elevls, respeced at level 18 to take down his shileds faster, and finally got past him. But take note, I did have to grind out several more levels, and I had make sure I took him entirely or almost entirely in Iron Bear, because I just couldn’t otherwise survive the fight. On that character, I am now grinding away, with the hopes that I can eventually kill the next main boss, Katagawa Ball, and also Killajoy, before they kill me. But, is this what I can expect out of the game - grinding out not just 1 or 2 more levels to take down main bosses, but lots of extra levels for the remainder of the bosses? If so, I need to evaluate if I will stick with this game. (Note: I played Borderlands 1 and 2, I recall having to do a little extra grinding to get past some parts of the games. But I don’t recall anything like what I’m experiencing in BL3.)

2 Likes

Not a Moze main myself. I would urge you to post in the Moze sub forum, along with your current build. There are many lovely people who would be more then happy to help you.

You are definitely not wasting your time.

Happy hunting.

2 Likes

Are you just blasting through the story missions? If you take the time to the side missions along the way you’ll generally not have to worry about being under leveled.

3 Likes

I only mention Moze in case that particular character has more of a game progression issue than the other characters. But, my biggest question is, is this what I can expect with any character in BL3? Then ther’s the sub-question, is this specific to certain charracters.

3 Likes

I think captain traunt is meant to be challenging. He forces us to evaluate our build and gameplay.

I had trouble with him on my first playthrough.

3 Likes

I am doing all the side quests I can find, and most of the challenges.
I should add, when I read that a certain boss is X level, and I have to level way beyond that, then that becomes frustrating to me. In the case of Captain Traunt, I read that he is level 13, and I had to get 5 levels above that before I could get past him. Captain Traunt, Katawaga Ball, and Killajoy all do such an amount of damage, I’m having to get to the point of just obliterating them in a few seconds, before my character dies. At least, that is my experience so far, and is that generally what I can look forward to?

1 Like

As others have said, without doing side missions you are going to have to get levels from somewhere. I would suggest some of the Hammerlock hunts because they level with you and you get good xp, some also drop decent weapons to kill stuff with. My go to favourite is Skrakk in Acension Bluff, it’s near a respawn point and it drops the SkekSil pistol which comes in Fire, Shock and Corrossive. You can pretty much beat the game by farming and levelling up here between bosses and story missions, a bit slow but will get you through some tough times.

1 Like

First playthrough is always the toughest as you don’t have access to Guardian Rank from the off, whereas you had access to Badass Rank straight away in Borderlands 2.

I’m a Moze main, and I struggled with some of these bosses, but if you find the right gear (splash/tediore deffo helped me on my first playthrough) then you should be fine.

2 Likes

One tip for traunt… get behind him so you can easily hit his crit spot. This can be achieved on 3 of the 4 vaulthunters using distractions. FL4K cause fade away, Zane can use his clone and Moze can use auto bear. Watch out for the elemental balls that circle the arena catwalks.

Match elements. So shock for his shield, fire for his health bar.

Learn his attacks.

Above all, don’t lose hope. You will get there.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, Moze is probably one of the strongest, if not THE strongest character. I’m not a Moze bloke myself (Zane boi here), but I think I remember people having some problems with Traunt when the game first came out.

Just make sure you have decent equipment that is leveled well enough, use elements to your advantage when possible, make sure to avoid AoE/damage puddles/etc, and know that the first time can be a little rough. If you’re on PS4 I could offer some help in way of jumping in to help the fight or sending you some loot, but that’s only if you’re really needing an edge. It can be rough, but we got your back if you want.

2 Likes

And this is why the BL community is one of the best, there will always be nice people around to offer help with coop or decent weapons to get our fellow VH’s through the tough times, nice one :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Good to hear. Although, I am past Traunt now, and Katagawa Ball is my biggest trial right now. He does so much fire AOE, I can’t even come close to dodging it all and I die very quickly.

2 Likes

Can you post screenshots of your skill trees and gear? Someone may be able to help optimise it.

ask help im sure someone would help

Yea, if you’re doing the side missions then leveling should not be the issue. No reason to grind for more.

Early game Moze is strongest down the blue tree. You’ll want some good on level Torgue weapons like bang sticks and quickies.

For katagawa ball, a Maliwan Destructo spinner with shock and corrosive will help tons.

If you can get some points into Vampyr, look for tracker grenades with dividing and mirv parts. A cloning maddening tracker is the best thing you can get in this department. Throw several of those out before you begin combat to help you stay healed up.

1 Like

OK, I’ve seen enough encouragement that I’m gonna try sticking with this. I’m going to start a new discussion under the MOZE section for specific advice on Katagawa, and for bosses in general.

1 Like

Might also hunt on YouTube for play through videos. There’s a few out there for Moze. Might give you a better understanding of her at lower levels.

I play Moze too and I still haven’t beaten Traunt. I’m at level 16 and my husband and I teamed up to fight him but we just couldn’t do it. We got so frustrated we haven’t played in months. I’ve been tempted to try again after leveling up a few times. I also use the Iron Bear for the initial attack. Nothing else was as effective.

If you want some better weapons and some xp, go to Ascenion Bluff and kill Skrakk a few times, it drops the SkegSil pistol which come in shock, fire and corrosive and always on your level. It’s a pretty good weapon that I use for Traunt if a bit desperate for a result, good luck.

1 Like

I’ve played through with all characters. Moze I found was one of the more powerful ones. As others have mentioned, do some side missions. You’ll level up more naturally. There are also some mission rewards that can really help.

Also, sometimes adding just one point can tip the balance to your favor. Explore a bit. Respec often. It’s only money, and it’s not real :slight_smile: I found for early Moze I would put most points in keeping Moze up. Off the top of my head; Security Bear, Deadlines, Stainless Steel Bear. That worked for me early.