Amara's new com in need of adjustment? Fakegrasping need fixed among other things?

Playtester is still a paid position. Often they are used to find / duplicate showstopping bugs that cause crashes and lockups. Even when doing other bug testing, the time they spend, even at 60 hours a week or more is nothing compared to the data GB gets from the first few hours of content release. They literally could not hire enough playtesters to make up the difference.

For gear discrepancies, maybe everyone should not have a heart attack before the next patch rolls out in a week. I get the dissatisfaction, but the company is going to stick to their already scheduled patch for any tweaks to this or any other gear. Just hope the other VHs get some love for the sake of their fans and balance across the board.

When OP calls for nerf after nerf after nerf and threatens to walk out, only then to say they do not want Amara nerfed into the ground, it sends a mixed message. Amaras and others were solo’ing Takedown before her COM made the rounds.

I saw a lot of streamers who play everyday unable to reach the level of skill and synergy understanding along with timing to allow a solo run, and were running in groups as a result… as GB expected the mass audience to do.

If you do follow some of the larger streamers, people still ask for advice on trying to solo it, when they don’t have the time to farm, or the pure muscle memory / skill to pull it off. I would wager most everyone is expected a substantial reduction in that COM’s numbers, but skilled players were soloing it across VHs before. Not as fast, not as brutally impressive time-wise but still soloing nonetheless.

1 Like

Is there any reason the playtesters they didn’t hire couldn’t figure out when you open your inventory all the icons become glitched, that you can’t fast travel to Sanctuary without using the icon, or that GR completely doesn’t work as well as some skills, the entire 1 part hotfix they deployed, Zane’s Quick Breather which they were supposed to buff, or any of the absurd damage scaling?

Maybe it shouldn’t take 3 weeks to 1 month to fix basic gameplay features, major UI and lag aside?

She was always the strongest, now she is the Porcelain Pipe Bomb of vault hunters. “Buff not nerf” is a generally terrible idea.

2 Likes

that’s on mayhem 4? :exploding_head:

now i have no doubt… this game is just FUBAR… and i’m done with it…

1 Like

And your argument pretty much boils down to: I don’t like how other people are playing their game and because I don’t want to become OP then nobody else should have that choice either.

The thing is if you don’t like that something exists there’s simple option and that is to not play with it. If you don’t like how powerful amara is with certain gear then don’t play with her or don’t use that specific gear that makes her powerful. If you play online then don’t play with people who insist on using the gear you don’t want in your game, if you host the game then it’s up to you who joins and what gear is used really.

If you play solo then you really no reason what so ever to be getting so salty and so worked up over something that literally does not effect you in any way.

The only reason I can see you wanting amara nerfs is purely because you don’t want other people to be able to play certain ways in their game and would rather everyone be made to play the way you think it was intended only.

The thing is borderlands is about giving the player choice. You have the choice not to play with gear that makes you op and the choice to avoid players that insist on using said gear.

Also other classes can probably do the same the only difference being amara has more than one build to do the takedown and just wreck things so she is currently the most diverse for end game content. You don’t have to be OP if you don’t want to but the choice is there if you can get the right gear and There’s quit a few choices too. With the other classes you have literally one maybe 2 builds that can effectively do the takedown and not that many that are effective for m4 in comparison to amara. If you nerf amara you just end up bringing her down to the others level where she only has one maybe 2 viable end game builds and everyone will use that one build instead of what she has now. Gearbox wants diversity in builds then they need to stop nerfing things and start making other stuff more viable. Unfortunately being viable in borderlands endgame means killing stuff quickly and efficiently especially in bl3 due to the short ammo supply 3 out of 4 vh’s have to deal with amongst other things.

4 Likes

Is there any reason the playtesters they didn’t hire couldn’t figure out when you open your inventory all the icons become glitched, that you can’t fast travel to Sanctuary without using the icon, or that GR completely doesn’t work as well as some skills, the entire 1 part hotfix they deployed, Zane’s Quick Breather which they were supposed to buff, or any of the absurd damage scaling?

Who’s to say they didn’t? It’s cynical, but a ship date is a ship date when it comes to content releases. Each of those items could very well have been documented, or some many not have come up. It’s not an all-or-nothing process and to suggest it is would be unreasonable and solely channeling your anger toward the issues. Yes, they suck. No, Gearbox obviously did not intend for these glitches and skewed numbers as the backlash would have been clear on the horizon.

maybe everyone should not have a heart attack before the next patch rolls out in a week

Maybe it shouldn’t take 3 weeks to 1 month to fix basic gameplay features, major UI and lag aside?

Being a PC gamer, this is pretty common. Save for crazy stuff like Fallout 2’s save game deletion bug, hotfix / patch schedules are not going to be changed for most things, especially depending on how much of the install base has reported the issue, if it’s internally replicated, and more importantly, if they have a fix. Devs don’t snap their fingers and produce and deploy a hotfix or major patch. Squirrely stuff can take a month… or an hour. Things are not as simple as you are making them out to be, generally speaking.

Unless you want to change the issue yet again from the Amara tweaks I referred to not having a heart attack about to your shotgun list of every thing that’s currently wrong across all platforms. We can play the “out of context” game all day. I understand your frustration, but you shouldn’t fire it off in every direction and apply it to EVERY STATEMENT made against individual points that don’t apply to other things you bring up.

She was always the strongest, now she is the Porcelain Pipe Bomb of vault hunters. “Buff not nerf” is a generally terrible idea.

As a general rule, “Buff not nerf” is not terrible. It keeps players happy actually playing their mains. Over-buffing is a different story obviously. However, you go ahead and have the last word on this and any of the other points.

It’s clear no matter what I say we not only won’t agree to your liking but I already see the circles forming and discussion turning into something else (you’ve already taken one point and twisted it to something else entirely), so please have at it. Keep up your new crusade of “nerf, not buff” – it’s going to be really popular if put into practice as you’ve proposed it as a blanket practice. Games will be a blast! :+1:

1 Like

So, my arguments don’t come from a place of complete ignorance. I am not a professional game designer or work in the video game industry, but I do have general programming knowledge. I worked for my uncle who owns a data management firm and have seen the way professional developers manage their stacks. I was not a programmer, I was the administrative assistant that did the notation for their meetings, but I saw how the testing environments worked for the program they were developing. Every meeting I notated was basically two straight hours of reporting on bug testing and determining the dependencies that cause them. The head developer would ask each of the contracted devs if they had tested certain fixes, they would respond with the result of the test if yes and why not if no. The firm was a meta-data company that moved data from one database, usually relational, to another database, usually graphical.

I’m pretty sure Gearbox just isn’t doing this. If they are and these patches are still launching in this way, something is wrong. If they see the disparity between the characters after testing them at the highest level and think this is okay, this may no longer be the game for me. I rather believe incompetence than complete ignorance to what balance or “fun” is. I only play BL series because it’s so fun. These Amara points are basically to prove how little testing they do. The new one item hotfix to fix the butcher still didn’t even fix the recoil for the butcher. The recent MT patch that was supposed to buff certain skills broke the skills entirely. This is the second time Guardian Ranks have been broken. The first time people just lost their GR entirely. Also “buff not nerf” would be okay if Amara wasn’t clearly already an outlier. You don’t balance around those. That is not good from a design standpoint.

So:
1.) Gearbox probably isn’t testing this stuff. I prefer to believe this than they can’t launch a patch properly or this is somehow every other platform’s fault.
2.) Amara is both an example of them not testing this stuff and is by no means balanced or an example of what you should balance around.

2 Likes

if it ruins your fun use something else… pretty simple

1 Like

Jokes on you though because loot doesnt actually drop in m4 hahahahahaha

2 Likes

We need a MaxDPS per tick or per second as a cap on damage. This will solve A LOT.

I noticed :frowning:

There is no consensus that those things are “dumb af”… I’m a fan of all of those things, they were super fun. Without things like that, what would a Borderlands game even be?

1 Like

You think that the DPS for any build in BL3 comes easy? Have you tried to farm the specific gear that it would take to match the damage output of those YouTubers? Those individuals, clearly did not farm that gear…

All of the interactions in BL2 that you mentioned were fun! Without them, the game would have never enjoyed it’s longevity. Building an OP character is what it is all about.

For the Maliwan Takedown, Amara was the first VH to post fast times. But watch and see, Moze and Fl4k are going to post fast times too… Are we going to become hysterical and clamor for a nerf every time some YouTuber beats the raid faster than you think that they should be able to?

1 Like

Why do we need this? If you don’t like a build, then don’t use it. Do we want all of the characters to be the same?

Way to totally twist my words and put others in my mouth.

I asked for fix after fix I asked for the interactions that in my opinion are bugs that should be fixed. Some examples are Nimbus with a high elemental weapon. Ties that bind with do harm. Phasegrasping nothing and proccing everything. And ofc now this new class mod. I threatened to walk out if other VH were brought to this insane level of power and the game got boring for me.

It’s not actually even a threat. It’s just a concern which is how I stated it. If that happened I know the game would bore me and I wouldn’t want to play. Same as I already had stopped playing Amara a long time ago due to her being too easy in my opinion I didn’t find it fun steamrolling everything(prepatch) and so I don’t play it. If all VH steamroll all the content like she is, then I would just be bored and not want to play. That’s not a threat it just is what it is.

A lot of people are saying completely leave Amara untouched and just buff everyone to this level. That concerns me, a lot. And is the primary reason I made the topic.

1 Like

Maybe YOU think that these are bugs that should be fixed. Why do you position your argument in the context of “almost everyone agrees”? Form the argument on it’s merits. It shouldn’t matter who agrees/disagrees with you…

2 Likes

Fine. You are right poor wording. Edited.

1 Like

Because all nerfs from GBX came after people using abnomal combinations with gear that would otherwise be okay without the nerf. You could elimined all nerfs so long as there is a safety-measure cap on damage to avoid Unintended Results.

P.S. It has nothing to do with me “not liking” a build.

1 Like

But if we consider your proposal (MaxDPS per tick or per second as a cap on damage), in the context of Borderlands 2, wouldn’t it have eliminated Kreig’s Bloodsplosion combo, Zer0’s CA combo, and Axton’s tedior combo?

With a per tick damage cap, each of those VHs may have started to look more and more like each other (Bee/Hawking it up).

2 Likes

I’d take MaxDPS as opposed to the mess we are currenlty in. Also, it eliminstes the need of future nerfs on weapons and offensive skills. Finally, if they had that idea in BL2 and never inflated the enemy health pools to a bazillion, nobody would need gimicky builds except for the fun.

1 Like

So do we agree that this solution would have made Axton, Zero, and Kreig all have very similar playstyles? Or would the MaxDPS solution be a different cap for each character or ability within the character? Ex) Would your proposal have ruined Zer0’s B0re skill?

Agreed, if there is exactly 1 MaxDPS cap, there would be no need for any nerfs (due to damage output) ever again. But this does not mean that I agree with you that it is a good idea, we should discuss further using my example above.

We simply don’t know this. Why not inflate the health pools “to a bazillion”? Maybe some players would have more fun with tougher enemies. This portion of your post just seems like maybe you didn’t enjoy Borderlands 2? For me, Borderlands 2 remains my favorite game of all time.

I guess that, for me, finding the “broken” interactions to try to make each VH as “OP” as possible WAS the true endgame or Borderlands 2 (and the reason that it enjoyed such longevity). The invincible bosses were a great test for new “broken” interactions. In my mind, Gearbox should not “nerf” the game into oblivion. If a build stands out as “OP” in Gearbox’s collective opinion, then Gearbox should make more invicible bosses, that are designed in such a way that the current meta of “broken” builds will not be able to beat them so easily.