AMD RX 480 Inquiries

(Yiryi-Sa) #1

Hi everyone,

I’m pondering getting an RX 480 to replace my R9 270. I’ve seen users post their RX 480 related issues with HW:R (and HW: Deserts of Kharak). Does any one have any positive experiences with the RX 480 while playing Homeworld: Remastered and/or HW: Deserts of Kharak?

Does anyone have recommendations for other AMD cards that would be a comparable upgrade?

(El Rizzo) #2

[quote=“StarOfAnubys, post:1, topic:1554152”]
I’m pondering getting an RX 480 to replace my R9 270. I’ve seen users post their RX 480 related issues with HW:R (and HW: Deserts of Kharak). Does any one have any positive experiences with the RX 480 while playing Homeworld: Remastered and/or HW: Deserts of Kharak?[/quote]

May I ask what those issues are exactly ? I currently don’t have a Radeon card installed (but I’m very excited for Vega :smiley: ) so I can’t test it myself, but most often issues with computer hardware are rather caused by the user then the hardware which gets blamed for it so I’m curious :slight_smile: .

The Radeon 290 (x) and 390 (x) (the 300 series is just a rebrand of the 200 series with slightly higher clockrates) are very close in performance to the RX 480, sometimes a little faster, in other games a tad slower. However, the big drawback of these older cards is the much higher power consumption. As a result the 290(x)/390(x) tends to get quite hot if not adequately cooled by a powerful aftermarket cooler (Raijintek Morpheus would be an excellent one) or a good custom one from the Vendor (The Sapphire Tri-X cards of the 200/300 series are quite good).

Another potential drawback of the older cards would be the worse tesselation performance (a Dx11 feature, google it if you don’t know what that is) compared to the 480 which results in worse performance in more recent games that make use of that feature (Fallout 4 would be an example where the 480 performs quite a bit better for that reason). So if you intend to also play more recent games with your new card the 480 would definitely be the better choice.

On the plus side the 290(x) and 390(x) can be obtained quite cheaply as the 480 replaced them and even the 290(x) comes in variants with 8GBs of Vram (the same as the 480). Aside from the aforementioned cards there are no real alternatives to the 480 from AMD at the moment, unless you count the RX 470 but if the 480 allegedly has issues with HW:RM and DOK then the 470 would have those too since they are both based on the same Polaris architecture.

(Yiryi-Sa) #3

I will have to find the specific AMD related thread. What I can recall, however, is an issue with crashing to desktop after 10-15 minutes.

1 Like
(El Rizzo) #4

That sounds rather odd to be honest and probably user related, if Radeon 480 cards would have a general issue with both games more people would be on here complaining about it and to my knowledge you are the first person to bring up this issue on this forum (the HW:RM subforum I mean).

(Efwb001) #5

I have an RX 470 on windows 7 64-bit. The drivers prior to version 17 just didn’t work at all for me. I thought it was a homeworld issue, until I realized that I couldn’t even run microsoft’s solitaire. Homeworld’s working great now that they released version 17, though I can’t speak for others.

1 Like