An idea for mayhem

I don’t like the randomness of mayhem modifiers or the lazy attempt at raising the difficulty ceiling by exponentially increasing enemy HP. We now have 10 levels in Mayhem. That gives the possibility to stack modifiers as you go up tiers. You start with a specific modifier maybe something like enemy attacks have a chance to cause a knockback. Every time you move up a tier you stack a new modifier on top of the previous modifier. Mayhem 2 enemies have a chance to spawn an elemental pool on death, Mayhem 5 enemies do double damage, Mayhem 9 enemies spawn death on death, Mayhem 10 no FFYL for example. By mayhem 10 you have 10 modifiers to deal with. No modifiers that directly nerf the player. Being able to select from a pool of modifiers for each tier would be fine too.

Nothing really works in the current state of the game with the imbalanced weapons and over bloated enemy HP but this is how I would have implemented Mayhem to increase difficulty rather than just exponentially increase enemy HP with a few random modifiers.

The thing is, some players enjoy Mayhem as it is. Some players love the bullet-sponges, but hate the modifiers. And some love the modifiers, but hate the bullet-sponges.

GBX should have developed a system that could have implemented the increase in toughness and allowed for more choice in the modifiers.

Want to do M1 but with all hard modifiers? Go for it. Want to just empty clip after clip into a trash mob without worrying about dying or crashing due to excessive modifiers? Great. Want something in the middle, customizable? Great.

It’s like GBX forgot who they were supposed to be making this game for. (hint, it’s the fans, not the shareholders).

2 Likes

People dislike the Mayhem 2.0 modifier system. Keep the new Mayhem 2.0 modifiers, but let us specifically pick or disable them. Add a reward system to the modifiers (special drops, increased droprate, cash, eridium, what ever). Disabling modifiers will remove those rewards and increase HP/Shield/Armor of enemies. Having the option to switch on/off modifiers and then having benefits to equipping modifiers wouldn’t necessarily be imbalanced because the mods will generally slow down your killing so the non-modifier version would have a natural advantage as it is. In general, the higher the Mayhem level, the better loot + exp should be.

2 Likes

At this point i would like to call it hem.

1 Like

Give an entirely customizable mayhem, since gb told us that their philosophy was to give a tailored difficulty, they have to go through the logic: every single parameter , nature and number of modifiers including life of enemy should be controlled by user. Give people a sandbox so everyone could build his own happy paradise (or hell :rofl:)

1 Like

@olivier_shady
Give an entirely customizable mayhem, since gb told us that their philosophy was to give a tailored difficulty, they have to go through the logic: every single parameter , nature and number of modifiers including life of enemy should be controlled by user. Give people a sandbox so everyone could build his own happy paradise (or hell :rofl:)

I like this idea. To expand upon it, what if you could save your “creation” and post to the public? Imagine being able to pick a map, what mobs you include, a boss, some mini-bosses, and create a sort of arena/zone. Something about the size of Athenas should do.

Maybe spawn points and vending machines would be fixed per map, but the rest you customize. It would be interesting to see what sort of horrible creations people come up with. Some will have impossible maps, but there would be a few creative or challenging ones. And this would all be opt-in, so you’re not forced to play in the map if you don’t want to.

There would need to be some sort of algorithm to scale the loot to the difficulty, so people can’t just make easy maps for farming. But with the right tools and setup, it could be fun. Probably not doable in BL3, maybe BL4 (along with many other good ideas).

But at the very least, we should have control over the specific modifiers. Maybe I want to run 4 easy modifiers, or all very hard (I wouldn’t but it should be an option).

edited to fix quote and give credit

1 Like