An important announcement about battleborn

Hello, everyone.

Battleborn has been removed from digital storefronts, and we are now in the process of gradually sunsetting the game to focus our efforts and resources on other projects.

So, what does that mean? At the moment, you won’t see any effect if you own a copy of the game. But there are some things you should be aware of:

• After February 24, 2020 , you will no longer be able to purchase premium virtual currency (“Platinum”) for use in the game.
  • The game’s servers will remain active and the game will continue to be playable until January 2021.
  • Once servers are deactivated, Battleborn will no longer be playable.

Once platinum stops being sold, can I still spend the in-game currency I already have?

• Yes, you can still spend any virtual currency (both Platinum and the coins you earn through gameplay) you have in your account until the game’s servers shut down in 2021. You can still grind for it in the game, too, you just won’t be able to directly purchase it anymore.

Are you taking any features offline when you stop selling Platinum?

• Nope! Nothing else in the game will change until January 2021, when the servers go offline.

Will I still be able to play Battleborn in any fashion (e.g. the single-player campaign, peer-to-peer games) after the servers go offline?

• No, once the servers are offline in January 2021, Battleborn won’t be playable in any way.

:cry:

That’s a shame.

9 Likes

This isn’t doing my already terrible mood any good, despite not having touched it since I mastered Beatrix. I really wish there was a way to make it playable offline.

6 Likes

I guess owning a game doesn’t mean what it used to…

16 Likes

I’m not sure I understand why you won’t be able to play the campaign or against bots. Can’t you just take off earning XP or whatever needs to connect to the server?

Like, aren’t these modes made specifically for not being online?

3 Likes

The game was always completely server-side for all modes, even versus bots, since progress in any mode earned stuff you could use in PvP. Changing it so folks could play off-line would require a pretty significant coding effort and update.

Very sad that it has come to this.

2 Likes

This is rough news. Battleborn is a great game that never got a fair shot, and because it’s online only all the work and art and love inside of it is set to just disappear. What a shame.

I love the fact that I got to be a part of this community. We were all a part of something that was small but great, and I love the time I spent (and hopefully will continue to spend) with you folks.

6 Likes

i’m very sorry to hear this.

i own the game (well guess i don’t) but i never really played it. always sad when this happens. That said, this is also why the live service model is the worst thing that happened to gaming since, well forever. People who really adore the game and have spent countless of hours and cash on things within the game just lose it all. with no ability to even play it offline. seriously heartbreaking.

why is the shop open for 3 months though? why not give it for free to those who still play and enjoy the game then if they gonna lose it all anyway…

4 Likes

Yea, they have 14 months to figure out a way to get a slimmed down version so you can play 8 solo missions, 5 ops, and 3 PvP modes against bots.

2 Likes

And include matchmaking so you can play with friends. And not rely on a single server instance for any of that. Which costs money that won’t be recouped in sales. While working on BL3 content and whatever other IPs are in active development…

1 Like

i’ve barely played the game but i seem to remember it’s possible to play vs bots and training maps etc? why can’t that feature just expand to the rest of the game…

1 Like

Because every instance of the game in every mode requires a server instance to play.

2 Likes

i see and it would be impossible to make the player the host? i’ve had my own WoW servers back in the day which worked incredibly well for being played and ran on the same machine. if some private group can make something like that work, i bet a developer team could too with better success.

1 Like

That would mean releasing a version of the server code or somehow incorporating it in to the game itself. I’m not sure there’s a good financial case to be made for the developer time required to accomplish that, especially given that GBX would then have to commit to support that for some time for a game that’s already been out of active bug fix/improvement for quite a while. I get the appeal of having a stand-alone non-server version for non-competitive play; I just don’t see this being a realistic thing to expect.

1 Like

Knew this was coming.
Still…

11 Likes

if they would make it available on consoles, yeah - probably to big of a task. but for the PC community i don’t think it would require a whole lot though? all the files are there right? could provide some executable that starts a host server on the machine, re-direct the connection it instead of whatever server it connect to now. i don’t know the ins and out of how it works, but if people can do this with other games unoffcially and make it easy-to-use for most people then i’m sure it can’t require to much effort really. it might not be stable, they might not be offering support but it’s atleast better than nothing.

i don’t know which and it does not matter either really, but i know i’ve read about a couple of online games were the some pirate groups have made those games run on a local host etc.

but, i do get what you’re saying. i just i wish more could’ve been done for the people who really enjoy the game and play it regulary, i had fun with the little time i spent with it. i’m not much for PvP games though, which were my reason for not playing it more.

I guess that explains the server issues the past few days. Heck of a game! Enjoyed it a lot when it released!
Thank you to the whole Team! :heart:

Now it’s time to platinum this baby!

5 Likes

It was an honor, fellow players.
I may not have played the game in a long while but I don’t regret pre-ordering my copy back in 2016 or my purchase of the lithograph signed by all the devs

7 Likes

Please, PLEASE reconsider this. Let us play the campaign and bot matches offline forever, or better yet add P2P hosting so we can keep playing this game with friends until the end of time. I really love the campaign, don’t take it away from me. :frowning:

7 Likes

It’s not always about the money. Sometime it’s “last words not found, applying template: I DIED LIKE A BI*CH”

4 Likes