Animated Turrets

Drawing a temporary blank here - if I have a turret that needs to raise up out of the ship hull before it starts firing, is that possible? Do I just put the joints at the deployed position for the turret and use a code red to animate the turret rising up to match the deployed position? or will the turret do horrible screwy things?

I used to do that in HW1 with mad. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work… It’s supposed to anyway.

1 Like

This is a very good question. BitVenom said that weapons hardpoints will not follow animations, ever; and the work around is putting the weapon joint in the final position and animating the mesh, but that on;y holds true for fixed and gimble, not animated turret… but if it is a subsystem turret will it work?

1 Like

putting the weapon joint in the final position

Seems like that’s what I had to do with the B’Rel for STC. HW1 was easy in comparison.

Look at the Kushan Defender. He has all the turrets on animated joints.

2 Likes

If I’ve got this right, unless I set something like "ignore parent transform"in blender, the behavior of the weapons joint will be uncoupled from what I see ingame because the engine can’t animate weapons joints, right?

Our you could make the weapons the child of a non animated joint (eg root) because they won’t move anyway…

The weapons will stay wherever they are in the rest frame (0) despite any animations.

1 Like

Turreted weapons on animated joints do work just fine.

1 Like

interesting, I guess I never tried turreted weapons since I didn’t need them, only fixed on code red. seems reasonable to make a turreted weapon with a very narrow cone so it looks fixed.

You can’t make a turret use a sphereburst effect somehow can you? It’s a beam or bullet only right? :thinking:

Trying to solve this here: