Animation cancel: Reload time is not a weakness

Everyone always say the same thing about Benedict when you’re talking about his damage.

“Super long reload time with low AS. his DPS is so low. Look at muh sheet”

But let me tell you about something unique about Benedict rocket launcher.

The Attack and reload animations can be forced on top of each other.

So here’s the trick to remove your reload down time. This is something all experienced Benedict user will learn and is something the more beginner newbie will fail and outright call Benedict crap.

After you fire a rocket, you can’t fire for a whole second. There is a hidden timer controlled by your AS hiding behind that prevent you from firing again and the animation duration will follow that AS. THe higher your AS, the faster the animation because the amount of time on the timer is lower.

However, after the rocket is already out, you can begin the reloading. By doing this, you are forcing your reload animation OVER the remaining of your firing animation. This begin your reload timer. after the reload timer reaches 0, your ammo count will go up by one. This take 1 second as well and is reduced by your reload speed.

So what happens here?

First, you fire a rocket. Let’s say it takes 0.5 second for the rocket to leave. You need to wait 0.5 more seconds before you can fire again.
Now that the rocket is out, you do the reload on the remaining 0.5 seconds.

Current time

Before you can fire again: 0.5 s
Before you finish your reload: 1.0 s

So now you wait for 1 more second to reload and you can fire again. So to fire a rocket and reload a new one, it takes 1.5 s in this case.

By default based on the number alone and excluding the animation delay, to fire and reload 1 rocket, it takes 2 s.
However, with the reload animation and timer forced mid way, the amount of time to fire and reoad one rocket is reduced to 1.5 s.

From my experience, the amount of time it takes to fire the rocket is about 0.3 to 0.4 seconds. This is exactly the amount of time reduced from your reload by taking the 3H L +30% reload speed. To make it easier, you can add reload time as well.

So after level 3, this happens.

Fire a rocket and wait for 0.3 second, reload

Time before you can fire again: 0.7 s
time to finish the reload: 0.7 s

What happens here?

I call it “Inifinte Ammo”

You reload a whole new rocket before you can fire again, meaning you just -1 and +1 your ammo in the attack speed interval, doubling his DPS of what you see on paper because the reload time is as good as 0.

This is one of the highest rewarding tricks you can do on Benedict to make sure you never stop firing that late game 400 damage rocket which WILL decimate your enemy team if no one is there to stop you. However, just like Benedict’s suggested difficulty, this is an advanced trick that you must be willing to learn and get use to if you want to use it.

IF YOU FIRE AGAIN TOO FAST BEFORE YOU GET A NEW ROCKET AMMO LOADED, BENEDICT WILL CANCEL THE RELOAD AND ITS TIMER AND JUST FIRE ANOTHER ROCKET.

AND IF YOU PRSS RELOAD TOO FAST, BENEDICT WILL CANCEL HIS OWN FIRING ANIMATION AND NOT ATTACK

There are many other tricks as well to even increase Benedict DPS but this is the most important one that you must learn to use while gliding as well.

3 Likes

Neat post, I’m going to have to mess around with this. Thank you for the great explanation and everything, good stuff!

Alright I got to play around with it and it’s without a doubt a huge game changer for Benedict. Once you get the rhythm on the reload>attack>reload cycle it’s not too bad and it’s oh so rewarding. You deserve some props for this.

I actually toyed a bit with this last night and there is a rocket/reload sweet spot that can seemingly give you infinite rockets with a minimal delay to your fire rate. However, toggling the reload and your aiming stick on console can be tough. PC player will get a good kick from this, though.