Annointed militants is there a strategy?

My god. How is this even possible? I’m just speechless

GBX seems to LOVE pointing out "unintentional " effects and nerfing everything to oblivion , but for some inexplicable reason an enemy that GRINDS THE GAME TO A HALT everytime he shows up, by already being a bullet sponge THAT TURNS IMMUNE TO ANY DAMAGE THE INSTANT YOU SHOOT HIM AND STAYS INMUNE FOE EXTENDED PERIODS , that is somehow A-OK with Gearbox and not a PEEP from them about making him even remotely reasonable to fight against .

There is NO STRATEGY OR NOTHING ENJOYABLE and getting in one or two shots on an enemy then having him become immune for 20 seconds for NO APPARENT REASON, then again you get one or two shots, then cycle again.

A single annointed militant is hell on his own and I now just reset the game out right, but hes often with those annoying badass grenade launcher spammers who aren’t difficult BUT YOU ARE COMPLETELY BLIND AS THEY CONSTANTLY SHOOT ELEMENTAL ROCKETS AT YOU.

Now before the generic “git gud” cut and paste responses : I’m playing a level 50 Moze on Mayhem 3 and have ZERO issues with EVERY SINGLE OTHER ENEMY OR BOSS IN THE GAME, except this incredibly annoying Annointed militant. I hate the annointed aggro tinks but at least I can fight them and take them down.

Annointed militant is just plain TEDIOUS, UNFAIR, ANNOYING, NOT FUN, GRINDS THE GAME TO A HALT TO THE POINT WHERE I JUST RESET RATHER THAN SLOG IT THROUGH AND WASTE 20 MINUTES OF MY LIFE WAIITNG FOR AN ENEMY WHO IS INVINCIBLE 90% OF THE TIME IM FIGHTING HIM.

Honestly and I WISH someone from GBX would answer me this : what is the value, challenge, strategy , or REASON for an enemy that every time you shoot him , he mindlessly holds up a shield making him 100% invincible, and keeps it up for 20 seconds or so, and does NOTHING ELSE . What is that adding to the game exactly ?

I can go on and on and on… but at this point I’m just begging : what am I doing wrong ? I’m so tired of resetting the game more than halfway through a Proving ground because this guy shows up.

Is there a strategy or a weapon or ANYTHING I CAN DO TO BEAT HIM BESIDES POT SHOTS FROM A DISTANCE, WAIT FOR EXTENEDED INVINCIBILITY, THE POT SHOT OVER AND OVER?

Any help at all would be so appreciated, since GBX is so keen to nerf all of our gear but leave this ****er as is

11 Likes

Grenades thrown behind his Immune shield damage him, often I have used Moxxi’s Bouncing Pair and he seems to have his immunity interrupted or maybe it is just coincidence. Either way that grenade is definitely my strategy for doing damage while he is otherwise immune. Being FL4K helps too because while he is focused on my pet I can run behind and shoot him.

They are only immune on one side, it is not that hard really.

1 Like

Use a torque weapon with a larg magazine like an assault rifle, stack his head while he enter his fire mode, detonate everything when he exit it.

If you stand in front of him without shooting he’ll usually throw his shield at you, making him vulnerable

Overall, it’s extra tedious to deal with them without an Amara that can phasegrasp them

1 Like

GB always go on about about build diversity and making all builds viable but the annointed kind of throw that out the window. If am playing Amara I can just phasegrasp them and deal with them quite easily. However, playing my Zane freeze build they are an absolute nightmare because they decided to make them resistant to cryo… I still can’t believe they overlooked that that greatly punishes one of their builds. True, as Zane you can just keep a fire weapon in one slot but once you stop freezing enemies to deal with multiple annointed it’s stops your loop of health regen, shield recoup and action skill cooldown and it’s easy to go down once this all grinds to a halt.

3 Likes

Its mind boggling really . It’s so random too.

“Let’s make an enemy turn invincible for extended periods of time every time you shoot him… for no apparent reason. Also let’s make him immune to…sho…no no cryo! Yeah 100% immune to cryo… for no apparent reason. Brilliant !! Now what weapon or gear should we nerf next ?”

1 Like

amara-phasegrasp seems to bet the most effective strategy, really dumb enemy design if you ask me.

1 Like

Well they love Amara so no wonder there

I found that hitting them with splash damage worked in contrast to direct shots.

Yeah the shield only blocks frontal damage. So if you can do damage from behind that is ideal. I play Fl4k so I fade away and just shoot him in the back. Also spamming radiation recurring Hex’s does good. For moze I hear the post nerf flakker is alive and well after the nerf with reload canceling. That should damage from behind.

Pro tip dodge the fire puddles they do silly DPS. Also if you melee him it seems to have a better chance to get him into the shield swing animation.

The dumb fire puddles always catch up to you as long as he sees you. You can just stay out of LoS and chill if necessary.
And yeah, like others have said, splash damage is a good idea against the shield. With grenades, I’ve even seen them drop the shield sometimes to do the little dive for safety that bandits do when a grenade is near.

Has anyone ever tried slamming them by the way? Maybe with a puddle relic? It would be such a kick in the nuts if that turned out to daze them out of the shield.

1 Like

They seem easiest at long range. Just fire when the shield is down or find a way around it like shooting them in the foot or using splash behind them. They don’t seem to use their fire move if you aren’t close to them.

I’m a moze with demo woman tree nearly maxed out. All my shots are basically splash damage. They are still immune during their immunity stage

I’m so confused . I’m a splash damage moze player and all I use is recurring hex radiation grenades. They are completely immune with the shield up even to the grenades. I go through a hundred grenades and dont even take half their life of. What am I doing wrong ?

Two types of immunity phase:

Type 1: Straight invincible. Yep nothing to do here.

Type 2: Shield hold partially invincible
if the damage does not hit the shield it will work
If you hit the front of the shield with splash damage will not work
Hex grenades circle so he will take damage from them when they are behind him
shooting him in back will work
Flakker will work

1 Like

You can break the shield with melee.
So the best strategy is to stay close, shoot him in the head and when he goes immune, break his shield with melee. Repeat until the bastard is dead. When he goes toasty mode, stay behind cover to break his line of sight.

Thanks guys . I guess its somethings to try . Anything has to be better than resetting the game when those enemies show up

I never got issue to kill him . I just stop a time and switch my super to phase grab and grab him .
but if you are not siren . emm …. wait until he down his shield and shoot you ? maybe :d ?

meow

Never really struggled with these. My Amara grasps him and dots him up and my Flak fades away and kills him in two clips.

Hmm, came across one in M1 that was constantly immune, more so than normal. Really struggled to get his health down with a full frontal attack. So gave myself a bit of distance and whipped out my Scourge. Job done two shots later

Whispering ice grenade, torgue sticky rifle …explodes on reload …

Throw grenade cover him and are with sticky bombs reload … Repeat till dead

Also radiation works well