Annoying lag and loading screen hanging

I recently installed VirtualBox and an H2 database editor. I noticed Borderlands 2 was acting funny, so I uninstalled them both and ran Malwarebytes and avast to check if they were viruses. Nothing bad came up. Now Borderlands 2 is lagging at inopportune times and hanging on every other loading screen, forcing me to Ctrl-Alt-Del and restart Steam before I can get back to it.

I’m running Windows 8.1. The game says it’s 32-bit and uses DirectX 9. I am using an ASUS gaming laptop with NVIDIA GeForce graphics. I have 8 GB of RAM.

The room I am playing in is pretty warm, so maybe it’s an overheating issue? If I need to uninstall/reinstall the game, how do I do that on Steam? It might be a software conflict. I have little idea what’s going on. I just know that my $1,000+ baby is acting strange and I can’t fix it.

Okay, I tried it again, now it turned fullscreen and hanged, forcing me to sign out of my profile to fix it because it was making my resolution really small and I couldn’t even get the Task Manager up.

why are you using virtualbox?

I’m not running the game on it. I’m taking IT classes and my professor told me to try it out.

Try this.

I fixed it. Probably a memory leak from some program on my computer. Power-on reset. Shut my computer down, waited a few seconds, booted it back up, it worked fine.

Should have tried that first. I am in IT, after all.

wow, something was actually fixed by turning it off and back on.

Turning on/off is one way to brute-force deallocate memory.

i know, it was kinda serious sarcasm.