Anti-cheat must be implemented. There is no excuse

Anti-cheat must be implemented in this game. I have spent 200+ hours playing and I do not need some ■■■■■■■ cheater runing it. I worked hard for my ability to sync with Pendles. I won’t have it ruined by fighting a Benedict that never misses with his rockets, can always find me, AND deal 800 dmg in one hit. I also won’t have my play ruined by a Ghalt that can, with no legendaries or help from other players, turn around while he is across the map, find me in my hiding place, and kill me. He also took my Injection but somehow didn’t get slowed. I find cheaters carrying entire teams with barely any gameplay done with the game. What’s worse is I can find these same cheats on freaking google. Not the Dark Web, not the Deep Web, but MOTHERF***ING GOOGLE! This is unacceptable! Reporting should not be the first line of defense against cheating but the last. Gearbox, do you really think you have enough people to investigate every report of cheating? How do we even know you’re even investigating them? Anti-cheat MUST be implemented. You think that you don’t have to worry because most people play it on console but you have PC players as well. Players who also preordered the game, players that spent hard-earned money for this game and are beaten by people that only seek to humiliate others. If you think that cheating will be curtailed just by reporting then you are delusional.

5 Likes

you knew what you were getting into choosing PC over PS4. hackers, cheaters, modders…I will never play PvP on PC.

2 Likes

Blaming a victim instead of offender. Yeah, right.

“Choosing PC over PS4” - do you really think everyone has that option?

Good for you. But it doesn’t mean anti-cheat features are unnecessary.

10 Likes

Just the other day there was a post on reddit showing cheating on the xbox console, with extensive video proof. Your preconceptions is making you a bit unawares.

2 Likes

Are you going to give me money for a PS4? Saying “you knew what you were getting into” is not even a flimsy excuse. It’s no excuse. That would be like me ordering seafood, getting food poisoning, and people blame me for being poisoned.

1 Like

Still doesn’t change my argument that there needs to be anti-cheat.

Man, I’ve been lucky, I’ve only ran into a couple aim-botters in my playtime.

But for now, use the in-game reporting system. We will hope and see if using it actually has any effect.

Hopefully they will add an Anti-Cheat system in the future. Not that it’s foolproof.[quote=“hungrypot, post:8, topic:1542865”]
We need tools like killcams or replays and not hope someone is screen recording by chance to create evidence.
[/quote]

Oh yes, please. I’m still bummed this game doesn’t have anything like “codcaster”, it’s such a handy tool…

Of course, but passive detection of cheats is extremely difficult. The first line of defense has to come from the player themselves. We need tools like killcams or replays and not hope someone is screen recording by chance to create evidence.

Something that surprised me when the report system was implemented the other week was/is that the 3 options concern but 1: repeated idleness / 2: cheating / 3: language - when ime troll/rage disconnects are at least as much of a problem.

I get the difficulty with determining whether a disco is bco technical problems or rage (but in all honesty: when disco’s occur seconds into pvp char select, what’s your conclusion …?) and that quitters get punished by lock-out while match lasts. However, imo, the report system lacks in option for 4: quits and for 5: repeated and uncalled for surrender calls.

At present, when I’ve meant to report, the lack of 4 + 5 has stopped me from, at all.

You can use the “Frequenty Idle” for disconnects and the likes too. If you see a person doing that, report. The Devs will then check the report out and see if the player does it a lot.
I assume you can also use that option for people who leave the game whenever they are about to die.

Another forum member asked Joe about that option and he said it should be OK. Maybe they’ll change the text in the future.

A legitimately better gameplay experience for every ranged character?

1 Like

Yea, I’ve been tempted to … but as it wouldn’t have been an accurate case description I refrained.

Tx for the reference to another post (@JoeKGBX @Jythri , can you please verify?), I’ll make a mind note :dukeaffirmative:

I managed to find the original comment I was referencing to from Joe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The number of platform wars we want on this forum are exactly zero.

So: please avoid them. Thanks.

2 Likes

that is what you get on PC games. (and apparently xbox). PC PvP comes with modders, hackers, cheaters. All platforms get them eventually but PC is notorious for being first.

Okay, take your discussion about the merits of different platforms to polite pms now.

Thanks.

1 Like

I understand your frustration OP but you cannot put too much blame on gBX for the actions of cheaters. They built a game to
Be fun for all…just because others choose to ruin that isn’t their fault and 100% their responsibility to correct. I know on ps4 I hav the option to “block” players for ANY reason. Is it impossible to block certain players on PC and/or Xbox? If enough good people block the cheaters then they won’t get into matches and then will wander off into obscurity. I’ve probably blocked 3 people I’ve seen pull off shady stuff and once blocked I’ve never come across them again. I would suggest finding a solution for
Your issue before playing
The blame game…

I was about to be like what are you talking about… then I saw PC and simply said to my self “Makes sense”

XB1 player here, no hackers found

Not sure what ‘across the map’ is to you. Perhaps you could clarify this.
If we’re talking about the middle in Overgrowth, a Ghalt with range upgrade on the Hook can catch people over quite a distance (if they aren’t strafing).
Also, are you aware that there’s a legitimate way of negating CC on him? (L10 Mutation)

Yeah, and as argumentum e contrario, this probably results in the fact that people who can carry a team are probably cheaters, right?

This one made me laugh, although it isn’t really funny to begin with. Game cheats on the dark net? Sorry, but if you really want to put research chemicals or organ trafficking alongside game cheats, you’re only gonna get weird looks from other people.

Seriously, who gave you the Idea that it is the first/last ‘defense’? Unless you reverse-engineered the game, you can’t tell what is and isn’t in place to prevent cheating. It’s simply the only option for you to deal with cheaters. Doesn’t mean GBX doesn’t have additional mechanics for that in place already.

That aside, any Client/Server application will always be vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks by concept. Not going into details here, as I don’t want people to think I provide information on how to cheat.
But in principle, you can’t make any game ‘free’ from cheaters, you can only make it that difficult to reap any benefits from it that they don’t invest the time needed.

[quote=“zelgadis8657, post:1, topic:1542865, full:true”] Gearbox, do you really think you have enough people to investigate every report of cheating? How do we even know you’re even investigating them? Anti-cheat MUST be implemented. You think that you don’t have to worry because most people play it on console but you have PC players as well. Players who also preordered the game, players that spent hard-earned money for this game and are beaten by people that only seek to humiliate others. If you think that cheating will be curtailed just by reporting then you are delusional.
[/quote]

I think you’re missing a point there, if you really believe that GBX (or any other game developer) is unaware of cheating, or tolerates it. The whole, ‘they’re only interested in consoles’ is also nonsense to begin with. If that were true, they wouldn’t have bothered with a PC release in the first place.

Also, a lot of people who ‘just want to humiliate others’ aren’t even cheaters, they’re just the usual run-of-the-mill internet trolls. Meaning it doesn’t require cheats to be a jerk. :unamused:

In general, everytime someone tries to drag ‘cheaters’ to the pillory on these forums, it remains unclear if they were even cheating.
I don’t know where you come from, but were I live we have a thing called ‘presumption of innocence’. So, unless you can prove someone is cheating (like having epic gear active at match start), you can’t expect them to be punished on suspicion alone.

I myself have had several nice insults (including one who wished for me to commit suicide) in this game. Mainly because I can play Thorn with >65% accuracy. Even on Xbox, I’m considered a cheater by some, because apparently playing better than your opponent is cheating. Sorry, I must’ve missed the day we rewrote the dictionaries. :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

If you have to say this, you should probably reevaluate what you are about to post.
Most of it was fine, but there are a couple personal jabs in there that werent necessary to your point at all.

2 Likes