Anyone here plays / knows trading card games? Would you be interested in participating in a BL card game community project?

Hi there guys,
I guess this here is the best place to start with it as I don’t really have the thread up and ready yet.
Whats is this all about you ask?
Well, I want to start community project thread for BL trading card game.
I’ve already toyed with it for some time and as you can imagine, that project is huge and I could use some help with it.
With this thread I would like to see if there are some people interested in such a project? If you are, you can sign up here for it, and ill let you know once the official project thread is up.
Just that you know, this IS and WILL BE a community project and therefore will be FREEWARE, so dont expect anything out of it, except your personal satisfaction and fun. Ive already spoke with @joe_king about it and we were given a green light for it, but if it comes to any sort of abuse of the project, it will be abandoned and terminated.
That being said, here are 2 things I could use help with:

SCREENSHOT CAPTURING - For card front picture. For this one you need to be on PC. If you sign up for it, ill let you know about details later. Here are some examples of what I need and how it needs to be done:

BRAINSTORMING - Anyone can participate as long as you know card games and / or have some ideas.

So thats it for now. Like I’ve said, with this thread I want to see if the community is interested is such a project. I cant really do it alone between family and job and other stuff. So if there are people interested sign up for it and the role you are interested in.
Cheers

5 Likes

Question: Will it be more like Magic the Gathering, Yugioh or Pokemon?

A mixture of everything i guess. It depends on what we figure out :). My idea is to include dice as well, for some RNGesus, for example, rolling a critical hit, or ffyl, something like that. Its up to community like ive said :).

EDIT: also this thread is not getting much attention, maybe I should re-post it somewhere else??

If we’re going to use dice, I’d think limiting it to 1 or 2 dice would be good barring special stuff (special ability/equipment effect?).
Random thought, should the “monsters” be limited to a max of X on the field or be more like Magic (unlimited)? IMO the latter would be more in line w/the Borderlands feel unless we make a card that is a mob of bandits.

[quote=“Exotek, post:3, topic:365269”]
EDIT: also this thread is not getting much attention, maybe I should re-post it somewhere else??
[/quote]Hmm… I’d think asking a mod/admin to move it to another spot might be better than a repost but yeah, having it moved somewhere else might be a good idea. (Fan creation?)

It would fit in in one of the fan creation sections. If you’d like, I could move it to one of those.
Just let me know which (BL1 FC, BL2 FC, or TPS FC)

So is this a physical card game or a vidya gam card game?
(if i missed what it is, my b ;-; )

First I need to answer to this question :). TBH I’ve only played some Yugioh when I was younger, so I can say that I am a complete noob when it comes to trading card games. But I have plenty of ideas and I can be creative when it comes to borderlands, so there is that.

I’m not sure about this. I think fixed number of cards on playground should be easier to handle.

This is a drafting thread. Once I find some people and once we actually start to work on this, I’ve thought to make another thread in one of the Fan sections.

Yeah, this is a physical card game.

Also @P_Anarchist Ill make a short description on what i have so far and will post a pic of it.

1 Like

Here is the image,

This is just something I was thinking about, when I was playing with it. So maybe we should build something around this what we already have. Feel free to post your ideas :).

Ill join in. can we take NPC pictures?

Great. Are you on PC? I dunno about NPC yet, we will have to work it out. PM me your steam id so i can add you there.

Wow, this is a really cool initiative. And it’s great to see that Gearbox has given it their blessing. Exotek, I was wondering if you have a template or .psd for the Axton Mock-up you’ve created that you’d be willing to share.

I’ve played numerous TCG’s like MtG, Yugioh, Pokemon, Hearthstone and some lesser known ones like Sol Forge, Digimon and (much to my shame) Bionicle. This project is extremely ambitious, but the more I brainstorm, the Borderlands series makes for a solid basis for a TCG.

I’ll definitely be watching this topic closely and would like to help in any way I can!

Kinda cool looking but we should probably think of a summoning condition/requirement and deck limitations otherwise it’d be “fill deck w/Handsome Jack or OP character” and win on turn 1.

~does thinking~
How about we model it a bit after Yu-Gi-Oh? (Basic and low level monsters can spawn freely but higher levels require a tribute or special condition)
Be easiest to do right now unless the card isn’t set in stone quite yet and you could add/remove icons.

Still think we should have “location” cards.
Some possible locations could be copy+pasted from the Blands games ( “The Dust”, “the Badlands”, etc).

Hey man, glad you like it. Unfortunately I cant share the mock up, because that is one of the things ive promised to Joey I wont do. Tbh, making these is not that hard at all. Taking screenshot throughout the game is, not to mention brainstorming the thing.

That was a model from which ive started, yes. Like ive said YGO is the only game ive ever played. But, i dont really want to do it exactly the same either. Please try to kinda implement the borderlands mechanic into a game, eg. critical hit, ffyl, elemental dmg and weaknesses etc.
But i like the idea about spawning.

PS: @P_Anarchist and @Butterqup, does this means I can count on you as part of the project from now on? Also what platforms are you two on?

Also this is the field i was thinking about (really quick done in paint so dont kill me :P),
First row is for melee cards, you can place ranged as well, if you want,
second row is for ranged, also for buff/nerf cards. Melee can go here as well.
The idea is, that opponents melee card cannot attack cards in your second row. Only ranged can. Something like that, what do you guys think?

Count me in, I’m glad to see your still working on this.

2 Likes

Just getting some basics out of the way (how do the characters and stuff get on the field?). For ffyl… might be a bit tough to implement.

[quote=“Exotek, post:13, topic:365269”]
PS: @P_Anarchist and @Butterqup, does this means I can count on you as part of the project from now on? Also what platforms are you two on?
[/quote]Let’s just say I’m not disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
Oh and on Steam/PC, ID is Ravenous Redbeard.

Im not sure i understand what this means, sorry english is not my native language,
anyway Ive added you on steam.
ffyl could simply be solved by rolling a dice. The real question is if it should apply to all creatures (cards) or only humanoids.

[quote=“Exotek, post:17, topic:365269”]
Im not sure i understand what this means, sorry english is not my native language,
[/quote]It’s ok, it was a quote from Pirates of the Caribbean if you were curious just slightly modified.
The original quote is “I’m disinclined to acquiesce to your request. It means no.” but I added “not” to it’d mean yes.

[quote=“Exotek, post:17, topic:365269”]
ffyl could simply be solved by rolling a dice. The real question is if it should apply to all creatures (cards) or only humanoids.
[/quote]I’d say only humanoids but it’d be a tough call since thus far only the vault hunters have seemed to show ffyl mechanics.

I see :).

Well yeah, thats true and ffyl was just a suggestion. Btw have you seen that field pic ive posted, about ranged and melee cards. What do you think about that?

Interesting, it could would I think if I’m understanding it correctly (melee monsters and stuff in front while ranged in back).