Arms Race IDEA: Playing as NPCs!

If the characters we play as in this mode can’t use any action skills or character-specific skills at all, what if instead of playing as the 4 main VHs we could play as NPC characters in Arms Race?

I can’t imagine how easy or hard this would be to implement, but what if we could use the already existing character models and pre-recorded voices to play as some of the fan-favorite npc characters from the main game and DLCs, like Tina, Lorelei, Clay, Hammerlock, Eista and Rose, or even some of the VHs that appear in the story like Brick, Mordecai, Zer0, Gaige and Krieg (and if we don’t care about canon, even Lilith and Maya!)

This would definitely give this mode near-endless replay value, especially if we have to unlock those characters somehow, and playing as each of them gives different rewards.

What do you guys think? Would this be possible?

5 Likes

I like it, any customization in my book is good.

3 Likes

vote :smiley:

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poll-would-you-rather-play-arms-race-with/4547277/14

2 Likes

I see people saying in your post that it would be a lot of work for just a gimmick, but I think adding playable NPCs would turn Arms Race into a major selling point for the game!

4 Likes

agree
i would love to play a basic soldier or bandit of the borderlands universe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or a psycho!
Or a tink!
Bruisers too!
LET ME PLAY ALL THE MODELS!

2 Likes

That would also open up some possibilities in the futur for that class mod slot without the disconnecting feel.

Something like consumable items that can be balanced only for that mode that mimics some of the stuff enemy NPCs can do but are one time use only. (shield drones, tink turrets, healtpacks, ect) Something not as OP as the VH action skills, but still helpful.

Would also add more decisions when to use and when to switch those item because you can only carry one and they only have one use. Would also add something interesting to the loot pool.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea! Also, throwing “random” elements into the mix would make replaying even more fun!

I’d personally prefer they spend the next 6 months trying to fix bugs rather than create entirely new animations for a dozen other characters so that we can use them in a single game mode that will probably be fairly boring since we can’t use the things that actually make the Borderlands gameplay unique, exciting, and dynamic.

2 Likes

Perhaps this idea could be better used in an entirelly new game other than BL3, but considering the gap between BL2 and BL3, I think they have time for both!

Whatever mechanism they put in place to allow us to choose the “Final Form” character models, should work for any character model, though NPCs would not have customizable heads and skins, and limited audio cues for interactions.

But the static character models that already have full sets of animations (characters who enter combat with us like Lilith, Ava, Maya, Clay, Wainwright, Mordecai, Tina, Zer0, Loralei, etc.) Should be a go.

Heck, Playing as Meat Thief would be pretty hilarious.

1 Like

i wanna play as balex in a mech

3 Likes

Some of the Maliwan mech models hold giant sizer Maliwan SMGs. They might have his mech set up like that, i’ll have to pay attention to how and what he shoots. He definitely has enough audio lines.

1 Like

each character would need an entirely new model built for it, and to be on par with the others would need voice lines recorded for each situation i.e jumping ffyl reloading storm approaching etc., all just to be used in this one game mode…

1 Like

I was seriously hoping we’d get this as a downloadable character my first time through the game (before I saw Balex perma-parked on Sanctuary III, and before Gearbox said that there won’t be new characters). Good voice acting, funny lines, and the Maliwan mech suit is fertile ground for interesting combat mechanics.

1 Like

Swap out the new Fl4k mini-loader for a mini-Maliwan-mech with Balex in it as a pet.

1 Like