This mode definitly looks like a lot of fun! but I dont really get why it is limiting itself so much.
I know you want to have gunplay at center stage here, but as in any good roguelike game, the real fun starts to happen when you do stuff that just feels unfair and fun! In any rouglike game you want to have those crazy runs where you get op combinations of items, that really make you get a god run.
Right now Arms Race just look like it is always “fair” which ofcourse is also a good thing, all weapons seem to do fairly good and deal okay damage even at mayhem 11, enemys seem fair, and the gameplay looks solid.
But when playing a roguelike… I dont want fair all the time really, I want to become stronger and stronger quickly, increasing my arsenal of guns and/or abilities to overpower my enemys! And in a rogue like character choice matters, each character needs to be a diffrent experience!
Arms Race Roguelike
- Action skills should definitly be a thing is this, making each character more unique. Why make borderlands not borderlands? and games like apex all now have skills too
- at the start of Arms Race you could always be able to choose ONE actions skill (zane CAN choose TWO instead, Moze can only choose basic Skills from the top), and for the whole run you only have THAT ONE action skill available.
- Then you could not only find guns, but also little “skill upgrade sdu” things that could then give you a random skillpoint for your tree when picked up. (or a bunch of random skillpoints when they drop less often)
- so you get that roguelike feel where you can get overpowered runs with maybe a skill having 15 points in it or something like this. (and skill in this game are already coded to go beyond 5)
- these skill upgrade would only count for the run ofcourse and will just drop or be looted randomly, giving you sometimes great an amazing skills in your tree, sometimes terrible ones… making each run all the more unique!
- and then you could have these redchest events also reward you with actions skill augments for the run.
all these random rewards would eliminate the need to menu all the time, but would still make the gamemode all the more unique, rewarding, and would add SO much replay value instead of beeing “just” shoot shoot shoot.
Long Term Progression System Idea
Another great suggestion I just heard, was to ability to unlock action skills after the first time you defeated the boss! that would also then make the game mode more rewarding within itself!
THESE ARE JUST ROUGH IDEAS of what COULD BE!
First Boss kill: Unlock Havoc level 1
get actions skills unlocked, while increasing enemy scaling by 10% or something.
(appling my rules to then only take a single action skill at the beginning to avoid menuing)
Second Boss kill: Unlock Havoc Level 2
Unlock Skillpoint SDU’s, while increasing enemy scaling by another 10% or something like this.
Third Boss kill: Unlock Havoc level 3
Unlock Classmods, while increasing enemy scaling by 10% or something.
Fourth Boss kill: Unlock Havoc level 4
Increase all Extractor capacity by 1, while increasing enemy scaling by 10% or something.
Fifth Boss kill: Unlock Havoc level 5
Increase item Rarity, while increasing enemy scaling by 10% or something.
Sixth Boss kill: Unlock Havoc level 6
Allow exclusive Arms Race items to be equipped, while increasing enemy scaling by 10% or something.
(Seventh Boss kill: Unlock Havoc level 7) beyond balance
Get a maginal random assortment of 25 skills and a free augment for your action skill, increase enemy scaling by another 25% or something like this.
something like THIS, would give so much replay value, without destroying the balance of each run, and dont make you too overpowered on each following run, just add more flavour!
and after you unlock each of those, you can just choose at the beginning of each run, which havoc level you want to play with.
regarding level 6, the ability to use the new gear should be fine at this po9int, since you most likely extracted a whole bunch of these in your prior runs, making it totally okay for you to instead use them or else they will become obsolete over time.
havoc level 7 would then be a clear upgrade and overpower you for the run, but also comes with way stronger enemys with no other benefit but to make the game harder and faster. and for some maybe more interesting, without it beeing required to have the same amount of fun and rewards.
what do you guys think?