As much as I love Kleese and Marquis, and as much as I dislike Toby, I’d have to say Toby is the best character to run this solo.
Kleese is extremely powerful, but it’s too easy for one thrall grenade to completely screw over your survivability and both of your sources of damage. Plus without allies to distract the perma immune Aria during the last phase, if you don’t kill the other sister fast enough Aria will just come and say “f*ck you and your rifts”.
Even massively nerfed Marquis is still a sniper with good damage and no range fall off. But he lacks the health pool to survive more than one slip up, has no survivability, a lackluster Ult in terms of the confined boss room, and no hard CC to de-aggro the enemies.
While Toby on the other hand has…
- 732 more effective health, along with a 1020 shield to hide behind, and 14 hps.
- His primary has a much higher DPS than Maquis’ does, can kill stuff you’re not even aiming at, and it has zero recoil/no reload.
- His Ult actually benefits from close quarters, can crit, and does a lot more damage.
- Without helix augments Arc Mine does way more damage than a Windfall Hoodini, provides an aggro draw as enemies will attempt to kill it instead of you, and it has a 2 second stun for that Brute that might spawn behind you.
- And his passive is an always on Time Bubble speed boost, that gives you 30% damage reduction when you run out.
The only things going against Toby is his primary’s reliance on his shield, (which despite how much damage everything does it rarely gets shot down) and his hit box. But the aforementioned survivability he has makes it so that’s never a problem in the DLC, especially with how I gear him. And really it’s only the burst damage stuff that messes up ranged characters. Things like Brute charges, suicide bombers, grenades, ect… so no matter how small your hit box is, those will always connect. Which makes bigger health pools better.
Not saying this is the best stuff, but I run a Symbiotic Gauntlet, purple Jennerit health regen, and flawed purple Jennerit max shield.
Kleese is great even in solo if you know how to keep your rifts alive, but things get sketchy if you don’t kill the second sister fast enough. He is probably the easiest in coop so long as your teamates are fine with never being revived.
They are still the top three, but Toby is just the top IMO.