Background Hods

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #102

Look again. They are big images with isolated pixels. Try zooming in…

(realshiftzero) #103

:sweat_smile: There were indeed a lot of stars around…don’t know what to say. I’m going to start with “Thank you so much !” for your customized scripts and your patience :stuck_out_tongue:
Now I’m getting closer to my ideal background, thanks to you, here’s what I get

no star displayed in front of Neptune

I’ve pushed a little bit too far with the eraser here, but nothing I can’t handle now that I have a working process ready.
I promise, I’m going to stop bothering you for a while my friend. You’re the man ! :wink:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #104

Well done, I’m glad you got there in the end. I’m going to write up a tutorial on backgrounds and star fields at some point.

For now I’m working on modifying the blender dae importer/exporter to cope with the lights and things. I also want to automate cube map rendering. That should make things a bit easier for all of us.

(Is this thing on?) #105

Those look nice! Some day, I will have to wrap my brain around Blender. Someday.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #106

By the way the UV mapping is the same (because you referred to your light HOD when you created the TGA files) so you can just import the stars on to your background image to check exactly what to erase…

(realshiftzero) #107

I couldn’t have made it without you guys :wink:
Can’t wait to try that automated cube map rendering you are wotking on !

Yes, I figured that out afterward…the next one should be with Mars BG, erased areas should be more accurate this time.

With such supportive and helpful people, I’d say you can jumb blindly into this. That is a great community you have here Sir !

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #108

It is already in progress… @sastrei @dkesserich FYI

The importer will now create lights for the LITE[] nodes, create custom properties for the MAT[PEX] nodes*, and most of the buttons on this panel work. Just got to figure out how to render automatically and then fix the exporter for the special background bits…

*I have no idea what they do, but some of their names in the planet example are too long for Blender, so they need custom properties like dock paths and nav lights.

(ajlsunrise) #109

I’d love a link

(realshiftzero) #110

Sure, I’ve linked the purple background you liked in the Macross related thread today, just check my last post, you’ll find the dropbox link :smiley:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #111

@sastrei could you share you settings for getting the cube map renders? I am trying to set up automatic cube map rendering and it is working except…

Mine:

Gearbox example:

As you can see the planet has rendered pretty nicely in mine, but the background is very blurry. It is the same in the 3D view. The planet textures are sharp, but the background itself is blurred. Any idea why? I tried to copy as many of your settings as I could see in the video…

EDIT: ignore that. The gearbox example with the planet has a really blurry background texture… They obviously made their cube map renders with the original image and blurred it for the example, perhaps to reduce the file size…

(Chimas) #112

In a long time, I haven’t seen anyone from GBX around here …

(Is this thing on?) #113

Just a volunteer moderator.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #114

I think gearbox people have orange names…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #115

Thanks @sastrei for the tutorial, thanks @realshiftzero for nudging this topic and finally giving me the push into seriously looking at backgrounds, thanks @eatthepath for help with a silly question…

My goal is eventually to make a gas giant with orbiting (orbitting?) moons that pass on the other side of the playing space, in a cool way… Resources would not be mined from asteroids but obtained by capturing (and holding on to) refineries that tap into the gas giant (or possibly receive regular shuttle deliveries of raw material from the surface). The AI will also be able to cope with this map… Some day…

(HWRM Resurgence) #116

Nice planet. If you get that background thingy into blender dae plugin i would be so happy. Also welcome to background club!

(Chimas) #117

If you want an image for inspiration, try to picture an orbital station that is involved with terraformation (or maybe taiidaformation) and keeps bombarding the surface of the planet from time to time, like an undergoing permanent process. As you “fly by” you just see the station firing into the planet and maybe some blasts in the surface …

(Herbyguitar) #118

Planet ripe for harvesting but definitely not for colonization. Too large and no distinct surface to terraform. Too hostile to life but loaded with resources :slight_smile:

(Chimas) #119

Agreed.
Forgot to consider what the planet is.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #120

Trying to make another background. This one is called “Ice Moon”. It needs some work to get the “horizon” right… The idea is to get the player to feel really close to the surface. I think the problem at the moment is that it feels a little too bright for a homeworld map…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #121

Wow, 7 likes in less than 24 hours… I guess people are interested in backgrounds?